2022 OTAs, Camps and Training Camp Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
One of the guys from the Cowboys site (Eatman I think) said he's heard it's more about McGovern needing LG reps when Tyron inevitably misses some time, which would imply that the plan is to start Tyler at LT.

They seem to be giving Ball a bunch of reps at LT (and he's looked horrific) so I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning on seeing who looked better, McGovern at LG (which would have Tyler shift to LT) or Ball at LT while keeping Tyler at LG.
That would make sense. Still not worried about Smith, you can see his punch as soon as he gets in there. He's just not completely sure what to do yet, which is totally understandable.

I wouldn't give up on Ball yet, either. This is almost like his rookie year and we're not even to the first preseason game yet. The run game it's harder to tell anything, but I thought Dak had pretty good protection most of the day.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That would make sense. Still not worried about Smith, you can see his punch as soon as he gets in there. He's just not completely sure what to do yet, which is totally understandable.

I wouldn't give up on Ball yet, either. This is almost like his rookie year and we're not even to the first preseason game yet.
Yea his power is no joke, his technique might be fucked at times and he might get mixed up on a stunt/twist here and there but we badly need more physicality on the OL and he's it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yea his power is no joke, his technique might be fucked at times and he might get mixed up on a stunt/twist here and there but we badly need more physicality on the OL and he's it.
I want Larry Allen at all 5 spots as far as attitude. I love chippyness in my OL. LOVE it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It's so cool how he punches guys and they just stop dead or even go backwards for a count. Some of the camp observers even say his feet can get lazy because his upper body is so strong he's able to recover that way. That's probably something the coaches want him to improve. But when he figures it out he's going to be fun to watch.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One of the guys from the Cowboys site (Eatman I think) said he's heard it's more about McGovern needing LG reps when Tyron inevitably misses some time, which would imply that the plan is to start Tyler at LT.

They seem to be giving Ball a bunch of reps at LT (and he's looked horrific) so I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning on seeing who looked better, McGovern at LG (which would have Tyler shift to LT) or Ball at LT while keeping Tyler at LG.

I think it's pretty obvious that Ball can't play in real games at this point, it'd be a Brandon Knight/rookie Terrence Steele type disaster.

They need to think long and hard about signing a vet swing OT because Ball ain't it right now and Waletzko seems headed for a redshirt year, and it was always a stupid fucking idea in the first place to bank on either of them to play this year anyway.
I never thought I would be missing Ty Nsekhe, but here we are.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From the official site:

Tight end Ian Bunting and defensive tackle John Ridgeway both left practice early with apparent injury or conditioning issues. Tyron Smith also limped off the field towards the end of practice. The Cowboys medical team was still evaluating them all after the practice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be surprised if we see even those guys.
Yeah it's going to be backups everywhere. The most you can hope for is a Connor McGovern or Tyler Smith. I mean I still look forward to seeing how Golston, Williams, Bohanna and such look. Or a Dennis Houston or Fehoko on offense.

Top Bottom