One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haslett has a good chance to land in Dallas somehow. Not thrilled with that, but he was one of the budskis that Fat Mike holed up with during his coaching hiatus.
Never been a fan. I thought his name was floated around last year as well or maybe the year before. Either keep Quinn or go get the best replacement in Fangio. Anything other than that is utter trash to me at this point.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Did I read something correctly earlier this week that said that even if we hire Payton for 2023 season, we'd have to send the Saints some draft picks?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did I read something correctly earlier this week that said that even if we hire Payton for 2023 season, we'd have to send the Saints some draft picks?
I think technically. But by then the Saints have a new coach and lose most leverage.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I think technically. But by then the Saints have a new coach and lose most leverage.
And that is because he was under contract, right? But they say he's walking away from the contract, so it's a bit confusing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And that is because he was under contract, right? But they say he's walking away from the contract, so it's a bit confusing.
Yeah not really sure but usually when someone retires which is what I understand him to be doing, the coach or player is still tied to the team until that contract expires. Unless the team releases them from it. No different then if Andrew Luck came out of retirement the Colts would still hold his rights.

Of course the difference is you can only have 1 head coach. So the Saints will hire a new coach for 2022. Unless they are ready to fire the guy for Payton to come back, Payton would certainly have all the leverage to go where he wants. I think the Bucs had to send a draft pick for Bruce Arians who came out of retirement. They sent a sixth round pick and the Cards returned a seventh round pick so the Bucs could hire him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If they hire Allen you feel like they might have a bit more leverage since the coaching staff would presumably stay intact aside from Payton. But even then I can't imagine the Saints playing extreme hardball on the best coach in their history if he made it clear that he wasn't coming back and that they could either take the compensation now or he can wait another year and they get nothing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Am I crazy or does it feel like teams are exercising a lot more restraint this year when it comes to coach hires?

Was there a rule change that I missed that changed the timeline of hires?

Normally teams would be jumping the gun and settling for lesser candidates just because they're too impatient and don't want to wait on the good candidates' seasons to wrap up.

Top Bottom