2022 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Enjoy the protection for now Longhorns. Once you get to the SEC that rule goes away.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Cristobal is crushing it. First he's doing big things in recruiting, now this.

1bigfan13

Staff member
@Cujo & @Chocolate Lab have you guys seen the 2023 recruiting class that Venables and his staff are putting together?

It's phenomenal. They've signed about 5 defensive studs along the DL and at LB. They are bringing in the caliber of defensive players that Oklahoma typically hasn't been able to recruit over the past decade. And from what I can tell, they've nudged ahead of Texas A&M for the #1 DL in the country. It's incredible that OU is even in the conversation for a defensive player of that caliber.

You can definitely tell Venables and co. have made the building a strong defense their top priority.

Meanwhile out west at USC, Lincoln Riley's class as usual, is headlined by a 5-star QB and 5-star WR but they have shit for OL & DL recruits. Their best OL & DL recruits are ranked well into the 500s. :lol They keep getting beat out for the better linemen. And you have to wonder if their 5-star QB (Malachi Nelson) is starting to look around and see the writing on the wall, because all of a sudden he made a visit to TAMU over the weekend.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
@Cujo & @Chocolate Lab have you guys seen the 2023 recruiting class that Venables and his staff are putting together?
Oh yeah, he's doing great. I think Riley leaving is going to be a huge positive. I like that defense will never be an afterthought for Venables.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

It's phenomenal. They've signed about 5 defensive studs along the DL and at LB. They are bringing in the caliber of defensive players that Oklahoma typically hasn't been able to recruit over the past decade. And from what I can tell, they've nudged ahead of Texas A&M for the #1 DL in the country. It's incredible that OU is even in the conversation for a defensive player of that caliber.

You can definitely tell Venables and co. have made the building a strong defense their top priority.

Meanwhile out west at USC, Lincoln Riley's class as usual, is headlined by a 5-star QB and 5-star WR but they have shit for OL & DL recruits. Their best OL & DL recruits are ranked well into the 500s. :lol They keep getting beat out for the better linemen. And you have to wonder if their 5-star QB (Malachi Nelson) is starting to look around and see the writing on the wall, because all of a sudden he made a visit to TAMU over the weekend.

They are freaking killing it. Got another commitment from an edge guy this afternoon. Think his names is Vasek. He's a 4 star and best of all, wait for it....He's from Austin. 🤣 That should put us ahead of Texas now. I'm very pleased. Our D is gonna be legit soon.

I think before long, Riley will be sorry he left. He's not inheriting a great team like he did in Norman.

1bigfan13

Staff member
They are freaking killing it. Got another commitment from an edge guy this afternoon. Think his names is Vasek. He's a 4 star and best of all, wait for it....He's from Austin. That should put us ahead of Texas now. I'm very pleased. Our D is gonna be legit soon.

I think before long, Riley will be sorry he left. He's not inheriting a great team like he did in Norman.
Vasek's dad also played for Texas from what I've read. That's gotta sting. Can't even keep a legacy kid who lives in Austin at home. :lol

1bigfan13

Staff member
Oh yeah, he's doing great. I think Riley leaving is going to be a huge positive. I like that defense will never be an afterthought for Venables.
I said the same back in December once the Venables and Lebby hires were made.

OU gets a far superior defensive coach and an OC whose offenses have been better than Riley's the past two seasons. Plus Lebby's offenses were putting up those great numbers in the SEC. So yeah, I'd say Riley leaving is going to be a huge positive for the football program.

Lastly, did you hear what one of the Oklahoma OL said about the new strength and conditioning program? From what I've read online, one of the guys on KREF mentioned that the OL told him the difference between offseason workouts is night and day now that the old S&C coach is back. Apparently last year only 2 of the 15 OL could bench over 320 lbs. Now every OL is benching over 320. I've read that Riley's S&C was a problem but I had no idea it was that bad. Unfortunately for USC fans, Riley took that S&C coach with him to USC. Good luck with that one.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Lastly, did you hear what one of the Oklahoma OL said about the new strength and conditioning program? From what I've read online, one of the guys on KREF mentioned that the OL told him the difference between offseason workouts is night and day now that the old S&C coach is back. Apparently last year only 2 of the 15 OL could bench over 320 lbs. Now every OL is benching over 320. I've read that Riley's S&C was a problem but I had no idea it was that bad. Unfortunately for USC fans, Riley took that S&C coach with him to USC. Good luck with that one.
Wiley seemed more like a retail Crossfit coach than an actually college weight coach. But I hadn't heard that about the OL benches. To have the biggest guys on the team barely able to bench three plates per side is pathetic. But then Riley was very soft himself.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom