2021 Season | Week 16 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Redskins @ Cowboys | 12/26/21

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Man, those Oiler teams should have won at least one SB. Do they beat the 90s Cowboys? Nah. I don’t think they were that good.

For my money, Warren Moon was the best pure passer I’ve ever seen, even to this day. I could watch him throw a football all day and not get tired of it.
They were good, but I think they're overrated.

Remember, they couldn't even make it to one a single AFCC.

That tells me that maybe they weren't as good as people would like to make them out to be.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
In 1978 I was still 5 years away from being shot out of my Dad’s nutsack.

I was only a few years old myself so I definitely don't remember the team in real time, and I'm probably talking out of my ass.

ZeroClub

UFA
Staubach says our 1978 team was his greatest team, although they didn’t win the Super Bowl. interesting debate of 1978/1977 team vs 92/93.

For non-SB teams, 1998 Vikings (Randy Moss rookie w/ Gary Anderson FG miss)
To me, the 1975 team is the most entertaining Cowboys team ever -- they punched above their weight. Landry at his creative peak offensively. Staubach to Preston Pearson screens. In the playoffs on the road as underdogs, beat dominant Vikings (with the Hail Mary) and Rams (in a blowout) teams. It was great season, despite losing SB X to the Steelers in a close one.

Jimmy's teams were great fun too, though.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We need Minnesota to play their best game of the year this coming weekend. I’m pretty confident Arizona isn’t beating Dallas.

I want that 1 seed.
They’ve beaten GB once this year. It can happen again.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
This years defense is the best I can ever remember watching.

I don’t have a lot of memories fresh from the early 90s teams. I was 9-10 years old, I obviously remember the big games, but the week to week stuff is faint.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Staubach says our 1978 team was his greatest team, although they didn’t win the Super Bowl. interesting debate of 1978/1977 team vs 92/93.
That 1978 team kicked ass.

Despite improving in many ways statistically, the defense IMO declined a tad in effectiveness from the 1977 Superbowl winning team that lost only 2 games.

While they were still head and shoulders better than just about anyone else, Jethro Pugh, DD Lewis, and the combination of Waters and Harris aged in that one year. Consequences I think of too many years going deep into the playoffs.

But the offense definitely improved from 1977 to 1978 because of the rules changes and the maturation of Tony's Hill and Dorsett.

However we want to slice it, Pittsburgh flat out had our number. They beat us 5 straight from 1976 to 1982. Pisses me off to this day.

ZeroClub

UFA
This years defense is the best I can ever remember watching.

I don’t have a lot of memories fresh from the early 90s teams. I was 9-10 years old, I obviously remember the big games, but the week to week stuff is faint.
Those defenses of the 90's championship teams were outstanding, but also benefitted mightily from that remarkably dominant offense. The offense owned the game clock, routinely broke the will of opposing defenses, and forced opposing offenses to become one dimensional. Opposing offenses were forced to play catchup and the Dallas D did an excellent job of not having any of it. But to me the main story of those teams was the dominating offense. In some ways, that Dallas offense was the greatest Dallas defense ever.

The 77 Cowboys D was more dominant in its own right, IMO. They may well have been the best ever.

To me, the current Cowboys D is the most entertaining in franchise history. I wouldn't say they are the best, at least not yet. They'll give up too many big plays. They haven't been dominant the entire season. They weren't so special before the final pieces were healthy and playing. Still, as a unit they play with such energy now and Parsons is such a wild card. I've never seen an entire Cowboys defense as focused on generating turnovers. They have a rare cohesiveness about them. They play very hard until the whistle. I've never enjoyed watching a Cowboys defense more.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was only a few years old myself so I definitely don't remember the team in real time, and I'm probably talking out of my ass.
Nah, you're not. It was one of the best teams to ever walk an NFL field.

ZeroClub

UFA
I’ve seen teams from both the Landry era and the Jimmy era. Hard to believe I’m that damned old.
I remember Mel Renfro's 10 interception season and how the sportscasters went on and on about it as it happened. I should feel ancient, but mostly I feel thankful for how the current season is bringing these memories back. It's quite nice.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Remember, back then it was damn near impossible to make it to a SB by playing on the road for all 3 playoff games.

I think the 2005 Steelers were the first team to ever do it.

So even if they do beat Buffalo, it was highly unlikely that they make it to the SB.
Yeah and the Dolphins were pretty good, they had home field advantage that year.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
To me, the 1975 team is the most entertaining Cowboys team ever -- they punched above their weight. Landry at his creative peak offensively. Staubach to Preston Pearson screens. In the playoffs on the road as underdogs, beat dominant Vikings (with the Hail Mary) and Rams (in a blowout) teams. It was great season, despite losing SB X to the Steelers in a close one.

Jimmy's teams were great fun too, though.
Preston Pearson‘s book, “Hearing the Noise” is a really good read. I wasn’t old enough to see him play but I definitely gained an admiration for him as an athlete after reading it.

ZeroClub

UFA
Preston Pearson‘s book, “Hearing the Noise” is a really good read. I wasn’t old enough to see him play but I definitely gained an admiration for him as an athlete after reading it.
I haven't read it. Interesting. Pearson ran with much patience and was a master at setting up his blocks.

Foobio

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life
He was a great addition for us, and he had played for Pittsburgh before coming to us .

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He was the Swiss Army Knife of the offense. Could do a little bit of everything. Even beat out Dorsett at the beginning of '77.
A little gamesmanship by Landry. He knew he had to keep Dorsett's ego (and relatively light body) in check.

My biggest Pearson memory was his diving catch just before halftime to get us on the board 7-17 vs Washington in that classic 1979 game at Texas Stadium.

Top Bottom