2021 Season | Week 13 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Saints | 12/2/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak hasn’t been his best going on 4 games now.
Think about what he has dealt with. Mainly drops, but also a lot of his WR corps being out for most of those 4 games. Also, the OL being banged up or out hasn't helped at all. Let's get everyone healthy and playing and then we can criticize. But, the drops have hurt a lot.

T-RO

DCC 4Life
Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Maybe "very" was a bit of hyperbole, but they are a good defense and were mostly healthy. I'm saying we shouldn't be freaking out just yet. Calm down. You all are acting like we are headed for a division loss. I don't believe that will happen.
Posted it the other day, but the Ticket guys were talking about how McCarthy has an overall losing record in November, his only month with a losing record. Not sure why that would be, but maybe it'll make people feel better that his GB teams did this and they won plenty in the playoffs.

Plus, I really suspect Dak's calf has been bothering him and I'm hoping 10 days off will let him get ahead of that injury.

T-RO

DCC 4Life
Joseph was in and recorded a tackle when Lewis went down for a play or two. Still not happy with his results but it is what it is.
I’m not sure what a snobberblorted is but Schultz has been about our most consistent player.
Joseph's tackle was an assist w/Bernard in the third quarter in punt coverage.

snobberblorted = Getting covid on a single hit (aptly expressed in game day thread by our astute poster, Data) and then quickly recovering. Wind knocked out of him? I don't know. I agree that Schultz has been good this year.

Last edited:

ZeroClub

UFA
Adjustments are needed, but there's still time and talent enough to right the ship.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the coaches respond.

T-RO

DCC 4Life
You’re in the wrong place if you are here for all gum drops and fluffy gay feathers on every post. That was early on with Thorn.
It’s one of the things I love about the board- lots of really smart football guys here pick apart and analyze things they see when they watch the games, and if something looks like shit it’s called out. There’s also the guys that are more optimistic and strike a nice balance to the less optimistic ones- and I’d put myself in the latter category of less optimistic.
And after 25 years of shitting the bed, sorry but this team and ownership don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. I’m waiting on a playoff run before I jump to the more optimistic side.
We ARE 8-4, but let’s not pretend this team isn’t sucking monkey dick right now on offense. And if not corrected it’s going to cost them either the division title or a one and done playoff game.
As bbgun can attest I've been banned from Cowboys forums for being too critical of ownership. Not exactly a rose-colored-glasses kinda guy.

It's just clear to me that fans forget the ugly wins of the Jimmy Johnson era. Sacked nine times by Philly during a Super Bowl season, ring a bell?

Fans overlook the reality: over half the wins in the sport aren't pretty or overwhelming.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe "very" was a bit of hyperbole, but they are a good defense and were mostly healthy. I'm saying we shouldn't be freaking out just yet. Calm down. You all are acting like we are headed for a division loss. I don't believe that will happen.
there is definitely cause for concern, if not freaking out.

T-RO

DCC 4Life
That was 1991, actually. And it was 11 sacks.

#unofficialteamhistorian
Thanks for the clarity. Now to amplify my point about "Great Seasons" and what really happens. (And this prior to salary cap parity)

From the '92 Cowboys Juggernaut :
-Only a four point win over .500-ish Broncos
-31-7 loss to Eagles
-Four point loss to Rams team that finished 6-10
-A home loss to the Redskins
-Six point win over 3-8 Cardinals

From the '93 Cowboy Monsters :
-35-16 loss to Skins
-13-10 loss to Bills
-Mere 7 point win over hapless Cardinals on road
-Mere 5 point win over hapless Cardinals at home
-Thanksgiving day loss to mediocre Miami in ice
-16-13 win over Giants that required overtime where Troy couldn't seem to complete a downfield pass to a WR.

Those Cowboy teams were epic. Our Cowboy team isn't. But even then it was uneven, sometimes dull, and punctuated by some wipe-out losses.

Fuck aesthetics. Win enough games to get to the dance.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
there is definitely cause for concern, if not freaking out.
Go ahead, then. Freak out. I will wait. LT taught me that is reasonable until it's not.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's not 1 or 2 games here or there, the issue is the trend - 4 out of the last 5 games have been concerning.

Not that we won't make the playoffs - we will. But the team was starting to look like a championship contender, and they haven't looked like that team in a month.

I hope they turn it around. But my hope is very small right now.

shoop

Semi-contributing member

Attachments

Cotton

Staff member
It's not 1 or 2 games here or there, the issue is the trend - 4 out of the last 5 games have been concerning.

Not that we won't make the playoffs - we will. But the team was starting to look like a championship contender, and they haven't looked like that team in a month.

I hope they turn it around. But my hope is very small right now.
I hope and bet you're going to be surprised.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
As bbgun can attest I've been banned from Cowboys forums for being too critical of ownership. Not exactly a rose-colored-glasses kinda guy.

It's just clear to me that fans forget the ugly wins of the Jimmy Johnson era. Sacked nine times by Philly during a Super Bowl season, ring a bell?

Fans overlook the reality: over half the wins in the sport aren't pretty or overwhelming.
Just helping you understand the overall climate of the board. Some of us, myself included, were very optimistic in ‘07, ‘09, and even ‘14. The ‘14 team Had the line finally looking decent, Dez and Murray. After that year most of us kind of lost hope. ‘18 proved a weird aberration and last year was about as close to an abortion as a team can get. A lot of us here are wait and see, prove it to me types at this point.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Go ahead, then. Freak out. I will wait. LT taught me that is reasonable until it's not.
I’m saying l won’t freak, but I’m worried . And actually, I won’t freak , I’ll just chalk it up to the same old shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dak hasn’t been his best going on 4 games now.
And that is not negativity.

We get romanced by some great throws at times.

But since the calf, he clearly doesn't trust his body, and he was already having issues.

The dude just needs to say, fuck it.

I do think the OL shuffle has fucked up his head, which leads to his feet. They are rarely set when he throws anymore.

It is in his head. He does not trust the line or himself.

He needs to get back to run when there are 10 yards available. That is what made him right there and he is trying to be some elite in the pocket guy.

T-RO

DCC 4Life
Tough to get a tackle without playing a snap.
Special teams tackles count same as defensive tackles.

Joseph played 26 special teams downs vs. Saints. Kelvin has played only 14 defensive snaps all season, and 11 of those were after Falcons pulled their starting QB in concession mode.

Here was his one tackle Thursday:
3Q,7:02,4,2,DAL 33,....Bryan Anger punts 54 yards returned by Deonte Harris for 8 yards (tackle by Francis Bernard and Kelvin Joseph)

I'm a nerdy database guy, what can I say?

data

Forbes #1
I'm posting the snap counts from here. 0 snaps on defense.
Pro Football Reference credits Joseph with one defensive snap from scrimmage.

What this proves? I don’t know, but there you have it. Recommence inane banter that contributes zero to why the Cowboys are struggling right now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Special teams tackles count same as defensive tackles.

Joseph played 26 special teams downs vs. Saints. Kelvin has played only 14 defensive snaps all season, and 11 of those were after Falcons pulled their starting QB in concession mode.

Here was his one tackle Thursday:
3Q,7:02,4,2,DAL 33,....Bryan Anger punts 54 yards returned by Deonte Harris for 8 yards (tackle by Francis Bernard and Kelvin Joseph)

I'm a nerdy database guy, what can I say?
ST tackles are ST tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom