2021 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Forbes #1
Teams get so desperate for QBs they do stupid shit. This is one of those occasions.
Let me ask the general populace this...with how pass-friendly the NFL has become, has having an elite QB become more important to winning or not as crucial to winning?

I’m asking about having an elite QB, which is an important distinction from me asking if the QB position has become more important nowadays. QB position is definitely more important now, but it seems a Tier 2 or Tier 3 QB nowadays can pass with enough proficiency to win.

In the past, it seemed like you’d have the Elite 5-7 QBs and everyone else was a JAG.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
with how pass-friendly the NFL has become, has having an elite QB become more important to winning or not as crucial to winning?

I think weirdly the answer is both.

I think because it's easier to pass nowadays, it's easier to win with a mid to bottom tier guy because even mediocre QBs (like Nick Foles) can move the ball under the right circumstances.

On the other hand, because of how hard it is to dominate on defense now, it's much harder to win with nearly useless QBs like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer.

In the past, it seemed like you’d have the Elite 5-7 QBs and everyone else was a JAG.

Sometimes but that certainly wasn't always true. There have been plenty of times there were very good non-elite QBs.

Brian Sipe, Bert Jones, Jim Hart, Neil Lomax, Dan Pastorini, Bernie Kosar, Steve Bartowski, etc. These guys weren't elite but weren't JAGs either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think weirdly the answer is both.

I think because it's easier to pass nowadays, it's easier to win with a mid to bottom tier guy because even mediocre QBs (like Nick Foles) can move the ball under the right circumstances.

On the other hand, because of how hard it is to dominate on defense now, it's much harder to win with nearly useless QBs like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer.

Sometimes but that certainly wasn't always true. There have been plenty of times there were very good non-elite QBs.

Brian Sipe, Bert Jones, Jim Hart, Neil Lomax, Dan Pastorini, Bernie Kosar, Steve Bartowski, etc. These guys weren't elite but weren't JAGs either.
Seems like in the past you could dominate on the ground and with defense and just win. With the way defense is played now that appears to be very difficult. The only exception seems to be the Ravens who are winning with mediocre passing but Lamar Jackson is a freak running QB. Without his crazy running ability I don't think their ground game would get the job done. So in a way it's still an elite QB getting it done, it's just an elite running QB.

I can't explain Nick Foles Superbowl. It was lightning in a bottle. But in general I'd say you need really high QB play to succeed. But then again we also saw Goff go to a Superbowl and then he was basically thrown away as trash and chalked up to success based on a system and not the QB. Seems like a system is more important than ever now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Seems like in the past you could dominate on the ground and with defense and just win. With the way defense is played now that appears to be very difficult. The only exception seems to be the Ravens who are winning with mediocre passing but Lamar Jackson is a freak running QB. Without his crazy running ability I don't think their ground game would get the job done. So in a way it's still an elite QB getting it done, it's just an elite running QB.

I can't explain Nick Foles Superbowl. It was lightning in a bottle. But in general I'd say you need really high QB play to succeed. But then again we also saw Goff go to a Superbowl and then he was basically thrown away as trash and chalked up to success based on a system and not the QB. Seems like a system is more important than ever now.

The only way I can truly explain the Nick Foles super bowl is God hates me and wants me to suffer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Redskins would be a pain in the ass for sure. I'm still shocked the NFL is just going to let the guy play. All of this and it's like everyone in the NFL forgot what he did.
Feh. I hope the Redskins mortgage their future for him. He is damaged already.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Watson is a very good quarterback. But he's not some world beater. I've never quite understood the adulation he receives.

If he somehow ended up on the skins or eagles, I'm not losing any sleep over it. For what they'd have to give up to get him, it would more than balance out the improvements they'd get at the QB position.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watson is a very good quarterback. But he's not some world beater. I've never quite understood the adulation he receives.

If he somehow ended up on the skins or eagles, I'm not losing any sleep over it. For what they'd have to give up to get him, it would more than balance out the improvements they'd get at the QB position.
My thing is how is he going to lead a football team with all of that sexual predator shit hanging over his head. You have to notice few if any have spoken up on his behalf.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Wow these Twitter “insiders” throw shit on the wall and hope something comes out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom