2021 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What idiot coach would choose to give an opponent the first drive while starting at the 40, as opposed to getting the ball at the 40?

That's my point. As the chooser, you're trying to pick the spot on the field where there's the least down side.

You pretty much know the opponent will take the ball in most situations that would be advantageous to you. And if it's not an advantage to you, it'll be at a spot on the field you don't want the opponent to have the ball.

I guess maybe there's nowhere on the field where the opponent wouldn't take the ball.

Maybe every coach would just choose the opponents 1 yard line regardless.

Either way this idea seems incredibly dumb and solves nothing other than eliminating kickoffs.

Genghis Khan

I see where the delta is. I’m under impression you pick a yard line, not side of the field. If count toss winner chooses the 7 yard line, whoever takes offense first has to start on their own 7.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

If you don't choose the side of the field, just the yard line, I think you choose the 50.

Because again, I don't think I see many scenarios at all where the opponent wouldn't take the ball.

data

Forbes #1

If you don't choose the side of the field, just the yard line, I think you choose the 50.

Because again, I don't think I see many scenarios at all where the opponent wouldn't take the ball.
If the game had two shitty offenses and the coin toss winner chose the 10 yard line, I could see the coin toss loser kicking the ball.

Say the KC-Buffalo playoff game had this rule with the Chiefs winning the coin toss, Andy Reid chooses the 2 yard line and maybe Buffalo says they’ll kickoff.

With the current rules, a coach would 100% take the ball first with kickoffs being at the 25 yard line.

data

Forbes #1

You're still misunderstanding.

Chiefs Bills and Chiefs win the toss. Andy Reid calls out 2-yard line. Now, Bills have two options:

• Bills get ball first on their own Bills 2-yard line, so chances of Josh Allen sacked for safety.
  • Bills choose for Chiefs to get ball first so Chiefs start on the Chiefs 2 yard line, so chance for Chiefs to have Mahomes sacked for safety.
    —————
  • If Reid calls 40 yard line, 100% Bills would choose to get ball first on Bills 40 vs giving Chiefs possession starting at Chiefs 40
  • Reid does not get to stipulate Bills 2 yard line because Bills would still 100% choose to take ball first. No coach would prefer giving Chiefs possession at the Bills 2 yard line for 1st and goal

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

If the game had two shitty offenses and the coin toss winner chose the 10 yard line, I could see the coin toss loser kicking the ball.

Say the KC-Buffalo playoff game had this rule with the Chiefs winning the coin toss, Andy Reid chooses the 2 yard line and maybe Buffalo says they’ll kickoff.

I don't see this ever happening.

Genghis Khan

You're still misunderstanding.

Chiefs Bills and Chiefs win the toss. Andy Reid calls out 2-yard line. Now, Bills have two options:

• Bills get ball first on their own Bills 2-yard line, so chances of Josh Allen sacked for safety.
  • Bills choose for Chiefs to get ball first so Chiefs start on the Chiefs 2 yard line, so chance for Chiefs to have Mahomes sacked for safety.
    —————
  • If Reid calls 40 yard line, 100% Bills would choose to get ball first on Bills 40 vs giving Chiefs possession starting at Chiefs 40
  • Reid does not get to stipulate Bills 2 yard line because Bills would still 100% choose to take ball first. No coach would prefer giving Chiefs possession at the Bills 2 yard line for 1st and goal

I'm still not understanding what you're saying. Who chooses which side of the field? Is it always automatically the "receiving team's" side?

If it's automatic, I think the vast majority of the time teams winning the toss would choose something like the 15 or 20. So if the other team takes the ball, they're still pushed back a bit, but if they give you the ball you aren't pushed back too severely.

It's still pretty much what I was saying before. There's an optimal choice most teams would choose just about every time, meaning the coin flip still decides.

data

Forbes #1
I'm still not understanding what you're saying. Who chooses which side of the field? Is it always automatically the "receiving team's" side?

If it's automatic, I think the vast majority of the time teams winning the toss would choose something like the 15 or 20. So if the other team takes the ball, they're still pushed back a bit, but if they give you the ball you aren't pushed back too severely.

It's still pretty much what I was saying before. There's an optimal choice most teams would choose just about every time, meaning the coin flip still decides.
Yes, I construe the rule to be always receiving teams side.

Yes, I also agree there’s an optimal choice most teams would choose and it would be inside the 10-yard line.

If we went to OT vs Eagles and the Eagles won the toss and said 5 yard line, what would you want McCarthy to pick —Eagles start on own 5? Or for Dak to start on our 5?

It might be more probable to give Eagles ball first, cuz once they punt from their own end zone, we win with a FG. Conversely, if we take the ball first, we’d have to drive 95 yards to win; more probable we get a FG and then Eagles get ball for chance to tie or win with TD.

If Eagles selected 20 yard line, McCarthys an idiot if he chooses to give Eagles the ball

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
4th and 5 or less: you have to run a play if you go for it. No more "let's try to draw them offsides" bullshit.

data

Forbes #1
4th and 5 or less: you have to run a play if you go for it. No more "let's try to draw them offsides" bullshit.
What happens if you don’t run a play? A 30-yard penalty or some egregious yardage would alter this behavior. Automatic turnover of possession would be too harsh.

If penalty is 10 yards, it’ll still happen cuz it’s a punt anyway.

data

Forbes #1
the regular penalty for delay of game: five yards
so what’s the difference from now? You going to turn off the play clock and let theQB call Omaha in perpetuity like Tecmo Bowl when you left for school?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
so what’s the difference from now? You going to turn off the play clock and let theQB call Omaha in perpetuity like Tecmo Bowl when you left for school?
the difference is that punting is not an option if you go to the line on 4th and short. under my proposal, you can't let it run down, take the penalty and punt.

data

Forbes #1
the difference is that punting is not an option if you go to the line on 4th and short. under my proposal, you can't let it run down, take the penalty and punt.
so, what if offense never snaps the ball?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even then it's not interesting to me.

I think it's extremely likely almost every winner of the coin toss would choose the opponents 1 yard line in overtime. It guarantees the opponent gets the ball first but puts them in a position where they A) risk a safety and losing the game, B) have to punt from deep in their own end and give you great field position to win on a field goal, C) risk a pick 6, or D) have to go 99 yards for the win.

Still basically comes down to a coin flip.
Why wouldn't the opponent just let the other team get the ball then? If being at the 1 is such a disadvantage.

Either way that's a more level playing field for the team not getting the ball first. I think you actually just validated why it's better than the current method.

Ultimately I don't really like it but it's interesting.

data

Forbes #1
an endless series of five yard delay-of-game penalties I reckon
:lol Thats one way to avoid a loss.

I guess this could happen today, too. There’s gotta be a rule that prevents this from happening today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom