Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

data

Forbes #1
The point is eliminating kickoffs.
Actually, I think this is meant to replace the coin toss winner = advantage in Overtime.

The Ravens have out this in front of the Competition Committee in previous years

Philosophically, it’s described as “I slice the cake and you choose which slice you want”

Its dumb

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, I think this is meant to replace the coin toss winner = advantage in Overtime.

The Ravens have out this in front of the Competition Committee in previous years

Philosophically, it’s described as “I slice the cake and you choose which slice you want”

Its dumb
Would be interesting. You want the ball first, then you put the ball near the goal line. Just how close are you willing to go. Would you start at your own 5 yard line?

It's interesting at least

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Its dumb

Maybe (probably) I don't understand then. They're literally flipping a coin.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe (probably) I don't understand then. They're literally flipping a coin.
Still a coin toss but you either pick if you want to slice the cake or pick your piece. If you cut it, you cut it in a way that you either will get the ball or put the other team starting in a tough spot. You pick a great starting field position and the other team will just take the ball.

data

Forbes #1
Would be interesting. You want the ball first, then you put the ball near the goal line. Just how close are you willing to go. Would you start at your own 5 yard line?

It's interesting at least
If we had Belichick, I’d be all for it.

But, in reality, anything that introduces a coach’s judgement is sure to screw us more than help us. Yup, I’ll take the coin flip -at least it’s 50/50

Genghis Khan

Still a coin toss but you either pick if you want to slice the cake or pick your piece. If you cut it, you cut it in a way that you either will get the ball or put the other team starting in a tough spot. You pick a great starting field position and the other team will just take the ball.

I see.

I feel like that would get dull very quickly.

Teams would choose the ball at something like the opponents 40 pretty much every time.

If they give you the ball you have great field position, if they take the ball it's decent for them but nothing special.

Teams would figure out the optimal position and choose that almost every time. Might as well just place it there automatically.

Which means it comes down to a coin flip to decide who gets the ball first. (gasp)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see.

Teams would choose the ball at something like the opponents 40 pretty much every time.

If they give you the ball you have great field position, if they take the ball it's decent for them but nothing special.

Teams would figure out the optimal position and choose that almost every time. Might as well just place it there automatically.

Which means it comes down to a coin flip to decide who gets the ball first. (gasp)
Only gets interesting for overtime to me. If you want the ball first you have to gamble some awful field position.

data

Forbes #1
I see.

On the contrary, I think it would push the starting field position to the ~7 yard line.

First off, what coach winning the toss would choose the 40? More ludicrous, what idiot coach would choose to give an opponent the first drive while starting at the 40, as opposed to getting the ball at the 40?

Genghis Khan

Only gets interesting for overtime to me. If you want the ball first you have to gamble some awful field position.

Even then it's not interesting to me.

I think it's extremely likely almost every winner of the coin toss would choose the opponents 1 yard line in overtime. It guarantees the opponent gets the ball first but puts them in a position where they A) risk a safety and losing the game, B) have to punt from deep in their own end and give you great field position to win on a field goal, C) risk a pick 6, or D) have to go 99 yards for the win.

Still basically comes down to a coin flip.

data

Forbes #1
Even then it's not interesting to me.

I think it's extremely likely almost every winner of the coin toss would choose the opponents 1 yard line in overtime. It guarantees the opponent gets the ball first but puts them in a position where they A) risk a safety and losing the game, B) have to punt from deep in their own end and give you great field position to win on a field goal, C) risk a pick 6, or D) have to go 99 yards for the win.

Still basically comes down to a coin flip.
I see where the delta is. I’m under impression you pick a yard line, not side of the field. If count toss winner chooses the 7 yard line, whoever takes offense first has to start on their own 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom