2021 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uhhh... What?

What if that 20 yard catch is from your own 25, say after a kickoff? You now have 1st and ten on your own 45. You still need another first down or two to get into even long FG range.
Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear, you don't need the second first down... to move the ball 20 yards like the other receiver. Thought that was obvious from what I was saying. But yeah, no idea in the hypothetical where the ball is starting.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I choose the guy with more yards. 80 x 12 = 960. 30 x 19 = 570.

Do you see how the yards matter but the catches don't. Anyway, give me a team of guys who produce the yards at receiver and I'll give you the turds catching 80 balls for 500 yards.
Actually, you are even admitting the catches DO count here. By saying you will take the guy with more yards, you are in effect, taking the guy with more catches. Because while he has less YPC, he HAS to have more catches to accumulate those yards you're after. Hense... catch numbers are pretty important.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, you don’t get targets or TDs, nor catchable passes or success rate (down and distance). If the information provided isn’t enough for you to decide one or the other, that’s fine. It just insinuates that both catches and yards are equally useless (or useful).

Here’s a stat — One is a white guy.
Well not really since the yards are basically equal. You need a second stat that matters to break that kind of a tie...

Now give me a player with way more yards and one with way more catches but way fewer yards. That would tell you what's more important...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, you are even admitting the catches DO count here. By saying you will take the guy with more yards, you are in effect, taking the guy with more catches. Because while he has less YPC, he HAS to have more catches to accumulate those yards you're after. Hense... catch numbers are pretty important.
No, I'm saying the number of catches to aquire those yards don't matter. I'm not saying catches are positive or negative. Just that they don't matter.

Which again, by doing the multiplication all I really did was eliminate catches out of the equation the same way you all learned how to do back in highschool.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Now give me a player with way more yards and one with way more catches but way fewer yards. That would tell you what's more important...
I don’t understand your point here. Making the total receiving yards the same is important to isolate the relevance of catches vs YPC.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
@Cowboysrock55 what do you think of Example #4 below — You prefer WR #A?

Receiver A: 110 rec, 1157 yards (10.5 YPC)
Receiver B: 57 rec, 966 yards (16.9 YPC)
If he is consistent, he would choose A, because yardage and stuff.

data

Forbes #1
Example #5

Receiver A: 85 rec, 936 yards (11.0 YPC)
Receiver B: 65 rec, 1128 yards (17.4 YPC)

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Example #5

That's a lot harder but I'd probably go with A.

The funny thing is that it's hard to get past receiver A not having 1000 yards. But that's a completely arbitrary threshold and it's only significance is that it's a round number.

The number of receptions and the YPC are more important, but it's still hard to get past.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's a lot harder but I'd probably go with A.

The funny thing is that it's hard to get past receiver A not having 1000 yards. But that's a completely arbitrary threshold and it's only significance is that it's a round number.

The number of receptions and the YPC are more important, but it's still hard to get past.
Yeah, still going A.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Example #5

Yeah very easily B.

Who was better last season? Juju or Amari Cooper? One had more catches and one had more yards...

Juju sucked a giant dick last year but did have 97 catches. Because that's what happens when you throw a bunch of short passes to a guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Cowboysrock55 what do you think of Example #4 below — You prefer WR #A?

Receiver A: 110 rec, 1157 yards (10.5 YPC)
Receiver B: 57 rec, 966 yards (16.9 YPC)
Yeah that's a tough one, I'd have to know how many targets those guys got. We talking close to equal or did Receiver A get far more throws? Yards aren't everything.

data

Forbes #1
Yeah very easily B.

Who was better last season? Juju or Amari Cooper? One had more catches and one had more yards...

Juju sucked a giant dick last year but did have 97 catches. Because that's what happens when you throw a bunch of short passes to a guy.
Similar to Harper vs Rice, this is not a good comparison.
Juju: 97 rec, 831 yards (8.6 YPC)
Amari: 92 rec, 1114 yards (12.1 YPC)

For a negligible 5% catch difference, that’s cherry-picking a 41% YPC difference. Only an idiot would choose Juju.

From the same year, much better to contrast JuJu to this WR:
- 52 rec, 856 yards (16.5 YPC)
Juju had 87% more catches, this WR had 91% higher YPC

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
JuJu is a bad comparison with his paltry YPC for a WR. It's been mentioned numerous times that receivers with the lower YPC would be taken, but those were always over 10 yds. Meaning they averaged at least a first down per catch. (yardage wise) JuJu? Not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom