2021 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a straw man.

No one that I'm aware of is arguing that you want 6.5 YPC as you are implying here.

Just like you aren't arguing in favor of a guy with 10 catches for 1000 yards.

If you think we're arguing in favor of 80 catches, 500 yards (6.5 YPC) then you're missing the point even worse than I thought.
Sure I'm using extremes to point out how useless catches are as a statistic on their own. It's a stat that has no value without adding another stat in with it. Which is my exact point. It's why both of you guys have to bring in other stats to justify why the catches are import.

It's not like TDs, Yards, drops, fumbles and so forth that are all valuable stats without needing to know about catches.

data

Forbes #1
Although real world examples, the previous two examples were moreso outliers so this third example of more typical stats may provide better insight.

Below, both WRs have similar yardage totals, but differ with a more typical range YPC and receptions.

Who would you rather have?
Receiver A: 127 rec, 1535 yards (12.1 YPC)
Receiver B: 98 rec, 1519 yards (15.5 YPC)

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Although real world examples, the previous two examples were more so outliers so this third example of more typical s may provide better insight.

Below, both WRs have similar yardage totals, but differ with YPC and receptions.

I take Receiver A 10 times out of 10.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although real world examples, the previous two examples were more so outliers so this third example of more typical s may provide better insight.

Below, both WRs have similar yardage totals, but differ with YPC and receptions.

I'd probably take B but can't say for certain without know more stats. I don't need the catches to decide it at all though.

If player B took more targets I'd take A. Or if A scored more TDs I'd take A.

Don't care about the catches.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Totally off topic but I actually think yards per target is an underrated stat. More useful than yards per catch.

Cotton

Staff member
Totally off topic but I actually think yards per target is an underrated stat. More useful than yards per catch.
Michael Thomas (you brought him up) - 9.1 yards/target

Jerry Rice - 8.4 yards/target

Choose your fighter.

Cotton

Staff member
Tyreek Hill - 9.8 yards/target

Jerry Rice - 8.4 yards per target

Choose your fighter.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

A, but again both receivers are fantastic.

In this case the difference in catches makes the difference.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Michael Thomas (you brought him up) - 9.1 yards/target

Jerry Rice - 8.4 yards/target

Choose your fighter.
Interesting. I'd still take Jerry Rice.

Better WR, 69 catches 1313 yards or 101 catches 1377 yards.

One is Anquon Boldin and one is Randy Moss. I've never seen a rookie year as impressive to me as what Moss did. What Boldin did was impressive but Randy Moss was unstoppable.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You really can't compare across eras and obviously there are other factors.
Yeah I agree on that point. Teams pass the ball way more now. Which leads to more catches. But not better receivers. And of course the defensive rules are enforced totally differently now.

data

Forbes #1
I'd probably take B but can't say for certain without know more stats. I don't need the catches to decide it at all though.

If player B took more targets I'd take A. Or if A scored more TDs I'd take A.

Don't care about the catches.
No, you don’t get targets or TDs, nor catchable passes or success rate (down and distance). If the information provided isn’t enough for you to decide one or the other, that’s fine. It just insinuates that both catches and yards are equally useless (or useful).

Here’s a stat — One is a white guy.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
No, you don’t get targets or TDs. If the information provided isn’t enough for you to decide one or the other, that’s fine. It just insinuates that both catches and yards are equally useless (or useful).

Here’s a stat — One is a white guy.
The white guy is most likely Wes Welker. The black guy is most likely Rice.

Player A = Welker

Player B = Rice

data

Forbes #1
...and I’m not a fan of you three bringing in names because it hurts, not helps, the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom