2021 NFL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Agreed but even so I'd rather take Davonta than Surtain.
That's a no doubter talent wise, sure. And if we had to take one or the other, yeah. I'd prefer Devonta.

Let's just hope that neither of them is a Cowboy come April, eh?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That's a no doubter talent wise, sure. And if we had to take one or the other, yeah. I'd prefer Devonta.

Let's just hope that neither of them is a Cowboy come April, eh?
I’d be very happy if both are cowboys, just not cowboys first round picks...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Pitts might, and I won't bitch (too much) if they pick him, but boy do we need defense help bad.
I will. It would be a dumb pick. Yeah, he's very talented. But our TEs are not a problem. Far from it, as they are actually pretty good. Taking another TE would be a stupid, flashy, Jerry luxury pick. That is usually one of the things people bitch about with Jerry. But for some reason, some people have become enamored with the shiny bauble this year and have been infected with Jerryitus.

Our defense is far past the point of being a liability. We can't afford to take an offensive skill position player in the first this year.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
I will. It would be a dumb pick. Yeah, he's very talented. But our TEs are not a problem. Far from it, as they are actually pretty good. Taking another TE would be a stupid, flashy, Jerry luxury pick. That is usually one of the things people bitch about with Jerry. But for some reason, some people have become enamored with the shiny bauble this year and have been infected with Jerryitus.

Our defense is far past the point of being a liability. We can't afford to take an offensive skill position player in the first this year.
Not disagreeing at all, just preparing myself for the inevitable Jerry pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Agree with all this

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
WR or TE who is basically a big reciever. Either way it will bring the same rage from me. Maybe a TE is easier to take because he will "start" but let's face it, you're taking Pitts to be a receiver. You're not drafting him because of his blocking ability.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
WR or TE who is basically a big reciever. Either way it will bring the same rage from me. Maybe a TE is easier to take because he will "start" but let's face it, you're taking Pitts to be a receiver. You're not drafting him because of his blocking ability.
Yep. So what would he expect to get, catch wise? 40? 50? Or would we feed him more and lessen one or more of the WRs? There are only so many footballs to go around.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. So what would he expect to get, catch wise? 40? 50? Or would we feed him more and lessen one or more of the WRs? There are only so many footballs to go around.
That's exactly right. You can only design plays for so many guys. Would he be an awesome TE. Absolutely I think he would be. But you're not often actually getting through multiple reads. So the balls you're giving to Pitts are either going to be similar to Schultz or you're going to be taking away the passes to Gallup, Cooper or Lamb. Who are all really good too. You've already got more guys than a defense can handle. Adding another only brings marginal returns.

And if you want to make the argument that Gallup, Cooper or Lamb won't be here much longer than you can make the same argument for a WR in the draft. If you want to just keep pumping resources into one skill you're going to leave the rest of your team bare of talent.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I doubt there is anyway short of a rape conviction Sewell gets close to our pick. Pitts might, and I won't bitch (too much) if they pick him, but boy do we need defense help bad.
Yeah we definitely need defensive help. Most of it has to come through FA so the draftees can provide quality rotation in their first year.

But ignoring the best player on the board because of need is just asking to be fucked repeatedly over the years as that player dominates for another team.

In two years both the defense and offense will be greatly different, but that best player will probably still be the best player and you'll regret not having taken him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Pitts can go to another team, and catch 80 balls. (hint: He'll be a focal point of their offense) And people will inevitably piss and moan constantly about it. But the truth is, he wouldn't see that volume of passes here to catch that many. Like CRock said above, we would only get marginal returns from him, or if he did produce at the level people would expect from a high first round pick, it would only lessen what already is a massive team strength. One of, if not the best top three WR groups in the NFL. And all that would lead to is people inevitably pissing and moaning about how he either is a bust, or how over rated and over paid our WRs are.

Draft defense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We've gone down this road before.

TEs are create great mismatches, not just big WRs. You can often target a TE where it's harder to target a WR. They aren't interchangeable, especially in short yardage and in the redzone.

Barring a trade down, Pitts is way better than Surtain (short of Surtain running a 4.3 at the combine) or Paye. The dropoff from Pitts to the 3rd round is much bigger than it is with Surtain or even Paye.

Now if Rousseau is in shape and blows up the combine, then he's the best player IMO-- even if he doesn't start week 1-- and Parsons is real solid.

Sewell - Rousseau - Pitts - Parsons

If we can land one of them we'll have found value. We have four QBs and Paye to help push them down to us.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Pitts can go to another team, and catch 80 balls. (hint: He'll be a focal point of their offense) And people will inevitably piss and moan constantly about it. But the truth is, he wouldn't see that volume of passes here to catch that many. Like CRock said above, we would only get marginal returns from him, or if he did produce at the level people would expect from a high first round pick, it would only lessen what already is a massive team strength. One of, if not the best top three WR groups in the NFL. And all that would lead to is people inevitably pissing and moaning about how he either is a bust, or how over rated and over paid our WRs are.

Draft defense.
I'm pretty sure we can't extend Michael Gallup and he'll be gone after next season. We have to save up for Lamb. So we'll want another solid receiving option.

And I don't care if Pitts catches 80, I'm much more interested in the quality of catches for TEs. It's no coincidence that so many Superbowl champions have stars at that position.

And should we draft Pitts there are plenty of draft positions left to add to the defense. It's not like we must completely overhaul the entire starting 11 and only from this draft. We need a few positions and a good offseason and the defense will be fine in 2021. FA will be as or more important to helping us out in 2021.

We don't need a dominant unit, just one that has half a clue how to play situational football.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dalton Schultz had 63 catches this year, and wasn't even the starter in the beginning.

Let's use a high first to draft Pitts, and hope we can get to 65! YAY! VALUE!

Of course, our defense will still suck, but we can worry about that in the '22 draft.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm pretty sure we can't extend Michael Gallup and he'll be gone after next season. We have to save up for Lamb. We'll want another solid receiving option.

And I don't care if Pitts catches 80, I'm much more interested in the quality of catches for TEs. It's no coincidence that so many Superbowl champions have stars at that position.
Pretty sure the plan is to extend Gallup and let Cooper walk

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Correct.

As for the drop off to the third round in the TEs mentioned above.... WGAS? TE should be faaaaar down our wants/needs board for this draft. I can think of about at least 6 positions that should be prioritized above TE.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Maybe that's true, and if so then we'll really need more receiving help since Cooper has done nothing but produce at number one levels since he got here. Losing him is much worse, so yeah who do you replace him with?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

Ravi's got shiny object Jerryitus bad . A lot of teams don't have one stud WR. We have three, and he's saying if Cooper leaves when his contract is up, then we'll REALLY need receiving help? Damn.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Maybe that's true, and if so then we'll really need more receiving help since Cooper has done nothing but produce at number one levels since he got here. Losing him is much worse, so yeah who do you replace him with?
Umm....Lamb and Gallup. Are you seriously asking this?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gallup and Lamb are not the same thing as Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb. You can't convince me that you get better by dumping Cooper.

All I'm saying is you have to think years down the road when you have a top ten pick. Outside of Sewell and maybe Rousseau there are no foundational players, so you should go with the best player.

Drafting every position for the defense would be an overreaction, unless the best player happens to be on defense.

Last year's defense wasn't as flawed talent wise as it was very poorly coached.

Three new starters and good coaching would make a huge difference. 2-3 of those starters should come from FA.

We have Gregory, Lawrence, Hill, Gallimore, Anae, and Hamilton up front. Sign one major starter in FA (this alone would be huge). Resign Aldon Smith and maybe resign Woods as a backup.

At LB we have LVE, Smith, and some experiments like Bernard. Grab another FA and resign Thomas as a backup. Jerry won't replace Smith. Sorry but it's not happening. He will continue to be accountable to no one .

We have only Thompson at safety. Sign one clear starter in FA and some depth.

We have Diggs, Brown, both Robinsons, and Canady at CB. Sign two FAs and maybe Goodwin for depth. Draft one if you think Robinson was a bust.

Draft at 2 or maybe 3 defenders from the first 4 rounds. That's a fine enough roster, Jaylon aside.

You won't be great on defense but you won't be bad, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom