2021 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Will it? And if so, will it improve enough?

This isn't about 1 guy, but rather the totality of talented additions. The more talent we add to that defense the better they are likely to be.

One guy won't make a difference but I'd rather not provide the defense with one less talented player either.
Absofuckinglutly correct.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Agreed! We have to add at least two or three solid defensive contributors in this draft IMO. We've done very well drafting offensively over the past ten years. Unfortunately it's come at the expense of our defense. Over those same ten years I'd say 80% of our defensive picks have been whiffs.
80% whiffs, but this defensively weak draft at the top is going to be better? Rebuild your defense on a less talented foundation, and you are hurting it for years. Look how badly Jaylon and LVE alone have hurt us. 1st and 2nd round picks... 1 good season.

The defense isn't going to be fixed overnight.

I agree we need several picks on that side of the ball, but the strength of this draft defensively is in picks 15-100, not at the top.

You impatiently want defense and only defense as if we're going for the Superbowl this year (right), then fine, trade down.

I could actually see Parsons in round one (he's actually faster than Surtain despite being 40 pounds heavier, and bonus being he benches Jaylon Smith), but the Joneses already committed to Smith so there's no chance they take even a far better player in Parsons.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Will it? And if so, will it improve enough?
Improve enough for what? The Superbowl?

I believe the draft is about finding the highest quality players, not fixing specific problems.

You aren't going to build an NFL defense that carry us deep into the playoffs from basically nothing overnight, right? We aren't contenders fishing for the last few missing pieces.

Our roster says no. Our pathetic 2020 record says no. The terrible, impatient, shortcut-taking track record of our owner/gm says no.

How about actually building the team with BPA?

I'll be fine with Surtain so long as he isn't taken over Sewell, Parsons, Pitts, Slater, or an opportunity to have traded down. And notice one of those players is defensive.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I believe the draft is about finding the highest quality players, not fixing specific problems.

You aren't going to build an NFL defense that carry us deep into the playoffs from basically nothing overnight, right? We aren't contenders fishing for the last few missing pieces.

Our roster says no. Our pathetic 2020 record says no. The terrible, impatient, shortcut-taking track record of our owner/gm says no.

How about actually building the team with BPA?

I'll be fine with Surtain so long as he isn't taken over Sewell, Parsons, Pitts, Slater, or an opportunity to have traded down. And notice one of those players is defensive.

You can't build a team with just purely BPA alone. That's kind of the point. Otherwise you end up with 16 great receivers and no defense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Who said super bowl?

I mean, that has to be the long term goal of every single team.

But we're just trying to get competitive here. Let's start with not giving up 30 points per game. That would be nice.

You seem to think the defense will improve by osmosis or something. But the truth is we have to actually add good players.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You can't build a team with just purely BPA alone. That's kind of the point. Otherwise you end up with 16 great receivers and no defense.

Oh, I think you can. I'm a big BPA guy.

But I think it's a fallacy that players slot neatly one after another.

I think it's pretty rare that you would have one single guy clearly better than everyone else available. Usually there would be a handful of guys with roughly equal ability.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Btw, I believe Surtain is better than Parsons.
Totally legit viewpoint. I only wish he was better at getting interceptions.

Obviously he’s a top 15-17 player and will go higher because he’s a CB.

I think Parsons can be the enforcer and playmaker Jaylon Smith or broken LVE was supposed to be. The 4.39 40 after a year off not only shows how serious this kid is but underscores how much of a freak he is.

Only five players since 2000 have done 4.41 or less weighing over 240. He was both a tackling machine and pass rusher for ND, and I think you could play him anywhere. I liken him to a slightly faster, better pass rushing, and more polished in coverage version of Bobby Wagner.

I just know our team has needed physical, nasty players for the longest time, and this guy is the shot in the arm the front seven has needed for a while.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
80% whiffs, but this defensively weak draft at the top is going to be better? Rebuild your defense on a less talented foundation, and you are hurting it for years. Look how badly Jaylon and LVE alone have hurt us. 1st and 2nd round picks... 1 good season.

The defense isn't going to be fixed overnight.

I agree we need several picks on that side of the ball, but the strength of this draft defensively is in picks 15-100, not at the top.

You impatiently want defense and only defense as if we're going for the Superbowl this year (right), then fine, trade down.

I could actually see Parsons in round one (he's actually faster than Surtain despite being 40 pounds heavier, and bonus being he benches Jaylon Smith), but the Joneses already committed to Smith so there's no chance they take even a far better player in Parsons.
True, but even though this defensive class isn't loaded, I definitely don't want to pass on Surtain, Horn, Moehrig, McNeil, Shelvin..etc..
They may not ever be all pro but we need solid contributors

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I don't think you like any DTs ever.

But yeah he is getting overhyped a bit. He is the run plugger of choice right now.
I like him in the 3rd-4th. He’s a pure NT, and they tend to fall in drafts.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I remember when he was supposedly a first round pick. But the guy has disappeared over the last year.
And I remember when Shawn Wade was considered a Top 3 pick in this year’s draft, and when Taylen Twyman was considered a Top 10 guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom