Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Horrible idea.

hell, 12 teams is terrible.

8 teams is terrible.

six max with #1 and #2 getting bye weeks.
no way. Model it after other divisions and eleminate worthless bowls. It is so much more interesting that way. Occasionally you’ll have an upset that makes the year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
no way. Model it after other divisions and eleminate worthless bowls. It is so much more interesting that way. Occasionally you’ll have an upset that makes the year.
I agree. The bowl situation is just ridiculous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, and if there are too many games in a season for these players to handle, eliminate some of the stupid out of conference games.

midswat

... soon

You know how every year notre dame or someone else comes in as the #4 seed and proceeds to get waxed? Sure let’s add 8 more losers to the mix.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
8 is the perfect number.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You know how every year notre dame or someone else comes in as the #4 seed and proceeds to get waxed? Sure let’s add 8 more losers to the mix.
I can't get with this logic. Teams get waxed during the season and in bowls just the same. Open up the field to the mid majors and whoever else. Give them their shot while making it a bit harder for the big boys. More meaningful games added to the season is awesome.

midswat

... soon
I can't get with this logic. Teams get waxed during the season and in bowls just the same. Open up the field to the mid majors and whoever else. Give them their shot while making it a bit harder for the big boys. More meaningful games added to the season is awesome.
everyone gets a trophy!!!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is the reverse of everyone gets a trophy. Matter of fact, you could add playoff games and delete bowl games where 6-6 teams play.
It is the exact opposite of everyone gets a trophy.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Problem with too many teams is the regular season would become mostly meaningless, like college basketball. Plus the big names would be virtually guaranteed to make it every year. The greatness of college football is that every week means something. That's why upsets are a huge deal. Even with 8, the big boys would know they could lose and it wouldn't even matter as long as they got in the tournament.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problem with too many teams is the regular season would become mostly meaningless, like college basketball. Plus the big names would be virtually guaranteed to make it every year. The greatness of college football is that every week means something. That's why upsets are a huge deal. Even with 8, the big boys would know they could lose and it wouldn't even matter as long as they got in the tournament.
The big boys are in it every year as it is now. Doesn't really matter. Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson. Those teams can always lose a game and still be in it.

Allowing more teams in though means that other teams can have a loss too and have a chance.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I see what you’re saying but it also opens the door for the big players to risk losing another game. Playoffs increase that chance which makes it more interesting.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The big boys are in it every year as it is now. Doesn't really matter. Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson. Those teams can always lose a game and still be in it.

Allowing more teams in though means that other teams can have a loss too and have a chance.
Ohio State and OU haven't been.

I'd be good with the five conference champs plus one at large. That would put more people in but still make you perform all year to win your league.

Probably won't happen though because the thing is about money as much as anything, and they don't want to risk a Baylor or TCU type taking the place of a name that would draw more eyeballs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ohio State and OU haven't been.

I'd be good with the five conference champs plus one at large. That would put more people in but still make you perform all year to win your league.

Probably won't happen though because the thing is about money as much as anything, and they don't want to risk a Baylor or TCU type taking the place of a name that would draw more eyeballs.
All I'm saying is look at the history of the playoffs so far. It's basically the same big boys over and over every year. You open it to 8 teams and suddenly other teams have a shot. That's good for college football in my opinion.

Give each power 5 winner an auto spot. The throw in 3 wild cards and there you have it.

Sure it's probably still Alabama and Clemson and such that win it most years. But you're more likely to see a big dog get upset in the playoffs this way and create more excitement.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Oh I'm okay with 8, and am sure that's what will happen. I just don't want it any bigger or teams that have zero chance would start getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom