2020 Undrafted Free Agents.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I guess Carter is the second most heralded of the UDFAs, aside from the Ute. Wonder which is the better player.
WGAS. He’s not going to do a damned thing in this league anyways. We’re talking the fucking 8th round.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of geeking out that goes on about this crap and the lack of perspective these guys have. This isn’t a Lael Collins or even a Ronald Leary who fell for legal or injury reasons.

This is a straight up signing of a guy who legit was flawed enough to be given a hard pass by every team for 7 rounds.

4th, even 5th round— then I get the excitement. This here is all about which camp body does what.

Fewer than a handful of successful Cowboys in two decades is what we’re talking about with these guys.

I guess the bidding frenzy kind of gets to their heads.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
WGAS. He’s not going to do a damned thing in this league anyways. We’re talking the fucking 8th round.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of geeking out that goes on about this crap and the lack of perspective these guys have. This isn’t a Lael Collins or even a Ronald Leary who fell for legal or injury reasons.

This is a straight up signing of a guy who legit was flawed enough to be given a hard pass by every team for 7 rounds.

4th, even 5th round— then I get the excitement. This here is all about which camp body does what.

Fewer than a handful of successful Cowboys in two decades is what we’re talking about with these guys.

No offense but this year is different. Teams were not able to go to small school workouts. Hell they weren't able to even have big school prodays for a lot of these guys. So I do think it's likely guys got overlooked this year who may not have been.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No offense but this year is different. Teams were not able to go to small school workouts. Hell they weren't able to even have big school prodays for a lot of these guys. So I do think it's likely guys got overlooked this year who may not have been.
That definitely is one difference

I’m just tired of this disproportionate attention to rounds 8-infinity that happens every year.

Barring a Collins or Leary I normally tune it all out.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Stupid, obtuse way of looking at it. There are a lot of very good players that have went undrafted. Hell, the draft used to go a lot deeper than the "8th round" that you're shitting on here.

Nobody is saying this guy is going to come in and be an instant contributor. But I'll bet that there will be some impact players around the league that come out of the UDFAs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Stupid, obtuse way of looking at it. There are a lot of very good players that have went undrafted. Hell, the draft used to go a lot deeper than the "8th round" that you're shitting on here.

Nobody is saying this guy is going to come in and be an instant contributor. But I'll bet that there will be some impact players around the league that come out of the UDFAs.
It’s a waste of time every year. People spend as much or more time on this as they do rounds 5-7, which are far more productive. And yes I remember rounds 8-12 and how ridiculous they were then to follow as a fan too.

Why do you think the owners made round 7 the cutoff when they reduced the size as a concession during player negotiations? Because that was the last round that really mattered given the annual pool of talent.

Again, I’m not talking about the Leary’s or Collins’ who fall out of the draft because of red flags, either.

Once every several years there’s a Romo or an Austin who sticks, but most of the time these guys aren’t worth the time some fans spend studying them.

Yes, the team has to do its due diligence and pan for small nuggets of depth. The team does, not me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was Ravi the one who didn't like Dak because QB's outside of the first round don't succeed? I think he later was willing to add parts of the second round to help his argument.

I feel like he has always been fixated on the fact that you can't succeed if you're not picked high enough.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Was Ravi the one who didn't like Dak because QB's outside of the first round don't succeed? I think he later was willing to add parts of the second round to help his argument.

I feel like he has always been fixated on the fact that you can't succeed if you're not picked high enough.
I don't know. It's hard to keep all of his crazy takes straight.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Nope. I liked the Prescott pick because Dallas needed a backup.

I don’t think drafting QBs in the 4th round is a recipe for success, but there are rare times it happens and usually when that QB is drafted as a backup. Mark Brunel, Kirk Cousins, Dak... it happens. It’s just not the preferred place to look for your next starter.

And let’s not pretend the “Wow” posted by NoDak actually was anything other than someone show-posting.

Tell me one time in recent memory where the udfa lists constantly posted by fans on this site after the draft amounted to anything. And again, Lael Collins don’t count.

Wow.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If pointing out the truth is trolling, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.
You just posted “Wow”

After saying that maybe some UDFA across the whole league might contribute someday.

Great stuff that.

Last time that happened without red flags for real in Dallas was 2006.

So, a waste of time for 14 years running (for fans... of course teams must do it)

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nope. I liked the Prescott pick because Dallas needed a backup.

I don’t think drafting QBs in the 4th round is a recipe for success, but there are rare times it happens and usually when that QB is drafted as a backup. Mark Brunel, Kirk Cousins, Dak... it happens. It’s just not the preferred place to look for your next starter.

And let’s not pretend the “Wow” posted by NoDak actually was anything other than someone show-posting.

Tell me one time in recent memory where the udfa lists constantly posted by fans on this site after the draft amounted to anything. And again, Lael Collins don’t count.

Wow.
I don't know what you consider recent or "amounted to anything", but in the last 10 years we've had multiple UDFA's who started for us, even if they were only average at best starters, or were quality rotational backups:

Cole Beasley
Barry Church
Kavon Frazier
Jeff Heath
Blake Jarwin
Stephen Bowen
Miles Austin

Finding that many guys who can reasonably start for a few years isn't insignificant. Ultimately the probability is extremely low since you're talking about roughly 15 UDFA's a year and over 10+ years you might get a handful of guys who stick around, definitely less than 10%, so at the end of the day getting excited over any individual UDFA signing is statistically unlikely to pan out.

You're still hitting every now and again on a guy who can start for several years and play an important role.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't know what you consider recent or "amounted to anything", but in the last 10 years we've had multiple UDFA's who started for us, even if they were only average at best starters, or were quality rotational backups:

Cole Beasley
Barry Church
Kavon Frazier
Jeff Heath
Blake Jarwin
Stephen Bowen
Miles Austin

Finding that many guys who can reasonably start for a few years isn't insignificant. Ultimately the probability is extremely low since you're talking about roughly 15 UDFA's a year and over 10+ years you might get a handful of guys who stick around, definitely less than 10%, so at the end of the day getting excited over any individual UDFA signing is statistically unlikely to pan out.

You're still hitting every now and again on a guy who can start for several years and play an important role.

Finding that many guys who can reasonably start for a few years isn't insignificant. Ultimately the probability is extremely low since you're talking about roughly 15 UDFA's a year and over 10+ years you might get a handful of guys who stick around
Now that was a carefully thought out and well written post. Actual props.

And again, of course the team must do this.

I believe the 5th-7th rounds should be more productive and more deserving of attention from fans, but I guess it comes down to quantity over quality. At the end of the day, a UDFA isn’t a whole lot less talented than a 5th rounder I guess.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Now that was a carefully thought out and well written post. Actual props.

And again, of course the team must do this.

I believe the 5th-7th rounds should be more productive and more deserving of attention from fans, but I guess it comes down to quantity over quality. At the end of the day, a UDFA isn’t a whole lot less talented than a 5th rounder I guess.
In my opinion a team that drafts well should be hitting on 5th/6th rounders more frequently than UDFA's, definitely in the 5th.

The 7th is a complete crap shoot though and to me it's basically just the top end of the UDFA market and teams are just going after guys they don't want to have to outbid others on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is not just Dallas. UDFAs make up around 30% of the NFL workforce I believe.

Do we romanticize a lot of them? Sure. But the numbers don't lie.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
It is not just Dallas. UDFAs make up around 30% of the NFL workforce I believe.

Do we romanticize a lot of them? Sure. But the numbers don't lie.
who doesn't pull for the underdog?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion a team that drafts well should be hitting on 5th/6th rounders more frequently than UDFA's, definitely in the 5th.

The 7th is a complete crap shoot though and to me it's basically just the top end of the UDFA market and teams are just going after guys they don't want to have to outbid others on.
I'm far more excited about Anae than any of the undrafted free agents. So I'm not sure where Ravi is going with this. But it's always interesting to look through the UDFA and see which ones have a shot at the roster and if they have the talent to stick longer than that. That's all we are doing. I don't think anyone here is dreaming of a perennial probowler in this free agent class. Just trying to see if there are guys worthy of contributing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't think anyone here is dreaming of a perennial probowler in this free agent class. Just trying to see if there are guys worthy of contributing.
And there always are guys that fall through the cracks. Always.

Top Bottom