2020 Training Camp Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I still don't understand why they feel the need to wait until the last minute to get these things done. The contract could have been negotiated long ago via video conference calls.
From what I understand, they wait because if the rookie does something stupid and gets themselves hurt during the offseason and can't play, the team and the salary cap wouldn't be on the hook. And salaries are basically already determined according to draft slot, so it shouldn't take much time. Or some shit like that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What does it mean to "report"? Rookies reported already and there is no news of what they are doing. Are they just hanging out at the facility playing dominoes?
Probably just meetings/working out and maybe some light individual on-field drills. I highly doubt there's anything competitive or intense going on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does it mean to "report"? Rookies reported already and there is no news of what they are doing. Are they just hanging out at the facility playing dominoes?
Thought I saw a picture yesterday of them on the field

p1_

DCC 4Life
They had to all get tested, twice I wanna say

p1_

DCC 4Life
all 32 clubs received an e-mail from the league office informing them of updated testing protocols that required the player take an initial test, wait 72 hours before taking a second test and then, if both tests were negative, the player would be allowed into the facility....

Lamb and the other rookies will receive their second COVID-19 test Friday. If both tests are negative, they will be allowed into the The Star on Saturday to see the facility for the first time and meet with coaches in person.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Crazy how cheap rookies are. Shitty veteran receivers get more money than that. Just goes to show why drafting well is so important in the NFL.
Yep and that's the way it should be instead of that ass backwards system they had up until about 10 years ago.

I always thought it was stupid to make unproven rookies the highest paid players in the NFL. Guys were coming out of college and hadn't taken a single preseason or regular season snap in the NFL but were being handed $65 million contracts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep and that's the way it should be instead of that ass backwards system they had up until about 10 years ago.

I always thought it was stupid to make unproven rookies the highest paid players in the NFL. Guys were coming out of college and hadn't taken a single preseason or regular season snap in the NFL but were being handed $65 million contracts.
It really made draft picks less valuable when you think about it. A high draft pick was great but you were basically paying the guy like a top free agent. So the benefit of drafting well was sort of mitigated by the contract you had to give them.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It really made draft picks less valuable when you think about it. A high draft pick was great but you were basically paying the guy like a top free agent. So the benefit of drafting well was sort of mitigated by the contract you had to give them.
Also the draft has always been kind of of a game of roulette. Tons of players have been labeled "safest player in the draft" or "can't miss player" yet a lot of those players still turn out to be busts.

So on top of taking that gamble you had to also go all in with an expensive contract that often times turned out to be salary cap killers, especially if the player turned out to be a bust.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Everyone but the few rookies who benefitted hated that old system.

It was easy to get the Players Union to agree to fixed/slotted rookie contracts since a fixed rookie pool leaves a bigger slice of pie for everyone else and rookies by definition are not able to vote.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Have they put out any practice dates & times yet? I checked DC.com and didn't see any mention of it.

Top Bottom