2020 Season | Week 13 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Ravens | 12/06/2020

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What does that even mean?
Blame the players?

Although one could argue quite easily that if you're "far down the road" on the scheme and still look like shit that the onus is on the coaches.

Either way, dramatic changes better be made in the off-season on the defensive side, either to the coaching staff, the depth chart, or ideally both.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I spent the entire game trying to decide which defensive players I wanted to see return...

of the ones that played tonight, NONE.

Even LVE, who I had hope for, spent the night chasing ghosts. X. Woods is less than useless, which is a lot more than I can say about Jaylon.
Earlier in the year it felt like Mike Nolan was clearly to blame but it's become obvious that we have a too many clueless players out there as well.

I still want to see them upgrade the defensive coordinator position but I can't blame Nolan for guys taking poor angles and LBs being completely unaware of who has the ball.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
So, we need a leader on defense whether it is a safety or LB, a center fielder safety, a run plugger in the middle of the D-line, and a couple of solid LBs.
Goodness

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I thought George Edwards would come in and at least maintain the LB play we'd enjoyed recently.

What the hell is going on? Even LVE is fuckin lost, looking like Jaylon chasing cars.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I don't think this guy has any idea what good is.

He needs an exceptional DC not a mediocre one. He struggled for years in GB with that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I have to blame coaching and the scheme at this point. I have no other explanation for the players looking so confused still.

It's clear coaching has a lot to do with all this.

It's not a highly talented defense, but it's also not a historically untalented defense either. There aren't 20 George Selvies on the defense.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So, we need a leader on defense whether it is a safety or LB, a center fielder safety, a run plugger in the middle of the D-line, and a couple of solid LBs.
Goodness
any wonder we have squat when we apparently don't value defense?

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
The Special Teams coach just knocked off the ‘Hawks with Colt f’n McCoy(winning 5 of their last 6, too) Riverboat Ron and the Peg Leg beat an 11-0 Steelers team, the Browns are killing it.

Is there an excuse for not winning 10+ games when your franchise QB goes down? Of course, but there is absolutely no excuse for any of this crap that we have seen, Covid or otherwise. They looked like ass before, way before, and they look like ass now.

If it’s me, this entire staff is gone. I’m tired of watching us waste the prime years of players who are good enough to win a championship. I’m speaking pretty much solely offensively there, but we all know what we have on that side of the ball.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The sad thing is it's effort on defense. You watch defenders and they just aren't attacking the blockers and ball carrier. They are waiting for the hit instead of making the hit. When a guy just stands there 3 yards from a blocker and waits for the blocker to come to him you're just doomed. It's an effort thing. I don't know if these guys are just soft or if they have given up. But it's not fun to watch.

I hope the coaches go back and watch the players that do this and gut them. Sadly it's guys lile Aldon Smith and Woods. Just drives me nuts. I don't want them on the team anymore. Guys like Anae should be playing who at least play with fire.
It’s talent and attitude. Thus is record-breaking sub-Campo worse than Marinelli’s worst bullshit.

Coddled team that knows it’s getting paid anyways, but seriously they are already outmatched presnap

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s talent and attitude. Thus is record-breaking sub-Campo worse than Marinelli’s worst bullshit.

Coddled team that knows it’s getting paid anyways, but seriously they are already outmatched presnap
The defense just shouldn't be this bad. I could make excuses for the offense because of horrific injuries. The defense has had injuries too but there is too much talent on that side to be this bad. The Giants defense isn't uber talented compared to ours but yet their defense is good and ours blows.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Not to mention the amount of time off we had prior to this game. The Ravens had literally played on the 2nd, days after us, then again yesterday, with our last game being on Thanksgiving.

Lamar wasn’t the starter that prior game, but being as woefully unprepared as we were is an indictment of the entire staff, not just Nolan. The only thing McCarthy can say is Covid, but we already have seen that hasn’t slowed down other first year staffs. He has to go.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Who the fuck is JK Dobbins?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Special Teams coach just knocked off the ‘Hawks with Colt f’n McCoy(winning 5 of their last 6, too) Riverboat Ron and the Peg Leg beat an 11-0 Steelers team, the Browns are killing it.

Is there an excuse for not winning 10+ games when your franchise QB goes down? Of course, but there is absolutely no excuse for any of this crap that we have seen, Covid or otherwise. They looked like ass before, way before, and they look like ass now.

If it’s me, this entire staff is gone. I’m tired of watching us waste the prime years of players who are good enough to win a championship. I’m speaking pretty much solely offensively there, but we all know what we have on that side of the ball.

You're not wrong but I'd give McCarthy another year since he has a pedigree.

The defensive staff clearly needs to go. The whole lot of them.

But give McCarthy a real defensive staff and let's see if he can win big again. Like Wade Phillips. ( :unsure ).

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I'm willing to give McCarthy at least one more year. Nolan on the other hand...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You're not wrong but I'd give McCarthy another year since he has a pedigree.

The defensive staff clearly needs to go. The whole lot of them.

But give McCarthy a real defensive staff and let's see if he can win big again. Like Wade Phillips. ( :unsure ).
There will be plenty of solid candidates available, guys like Dan Quinn, Gus Bradley, Matt Patricia, perhaps Fangio, maybe Romeo Crennel even though he's old as shit, so on and so forth.

I'd get rid of Nolan as a warning shot to McCarthy that if we don't at the very least make the playoffs next year, he's gone. Either way I think the staff will likely be cleared out if we miss the playoffs next year.

Top Bottom