2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wouldn't trading for Adams automatically put us in "Win now" mode? It has to
As I see it, a win-now team already has the QB in place to win a championship. We don't! You don't get a player like Adams just so you can say "We made one NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game during his time with us".
If Dak were a better passer I could see the good sense in doing it. But to me it's a huge risk
:lol

Hilarious how people carry on like Dak is some kind of bum throwing the ball.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Adams were 28 that'd be one thing, and calling it a "win now" move would make sense since you'd basically be turning in a possible 10-12 year asset in favor of a 3-5 year one.

But Adams is 24, going on 25 and already elite. Half the players drafted in the first round next year will only be 2-3 years younger. That's a win now, win tomorrow and win 5+ years from now move.

I also think the cap ramifications are overblown. From a cap perspective, Frederick had cap hits ranging from about $10-12 million until about 2023, Adams would just be eating up that slot plus maybe 2-3 extra million per year. Giving up a 1st and a big extension definitely sucks but you're also guaranteeing yourself an elite player.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
If Adams were 28 that'd be one thing, and calling it a "win now" move would make sense since you'd basically be turning in a possible 10-12 year asset in favor of a 3-5 year one.

But Adams is 24, going on 25 and already elite. Half the players drafted in the first round next year will only be 2-3 years younger. That's a win now, win tomorrow and win 5+ years from now move.

I also think the cap ramifications are overblown. From a cap perspective, Frederick had cap hits ranging from about $10-12 million until about 2023, Adams would just be eating up that slot plus maybe 2-3 extra million per year. Giving up a 1st and a big extension definitely sucks but you're also guaranteeing yourself an elite player.
If this were the case, I'd do the one and maybe a later round pick or a third the next year. It'll be a low pick anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The COVID-related uncertainty is the only reason I can see for not aggressively going after Adams, presuming he can be had for a 1st and change. Under normal circumstances I'd say get Dak done, trade for Adams, and go be one of the best teams in the league.

I'd still make the move because I can't see the salary cap being affected too significantly moving forward and Jerry surely has more than enough money to handle any short-term cash flow problems.

The whole situation is just very odd and unpredictable. Unless he gets extended Adams clearly wants to be in Dallas but the Jets are being weird, dragging their heels and talking out of both sides of their mouth, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded him elsewhere just out of spite.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sign Dak, cut Crawford, prorate Fred’s cap hit after June, sign Clowney, sign rooks.

The team is intact at that point, no glaring holes. Ton of questions on defense, but no holes.

We have to treat this year as the year. Stars are aligned talent wise on offense, Dak is strong and in his 5th year, and cap only gets more unmanageable from this point forward (especially after COVID hit to profits).

Got to go for it

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not interested in Clowney. Way overpriced for what he actually does. His 31 tackles and 3 sacks last year doesn't do it for me.

I'd rather have Everson Griffen. Cheaper and more productive. But I doubt we sign any more vets this year at this time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not interested in Clowney. Way overpriced for what he actually does. His 31 tackles and 3 sacks last year doesn't do it for me.

I'd rather have Everson Griffen. Cheaper and more productive. But I doubt we sign any more vets this year at this time.
The only way is if our two guys coming off suspension get in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom