2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd bet him listing Herschel in the 1 spot (or even at all, really) is tongue in cheek, because of what him being traded brought the team.

Herschel doesn't belong on any top 5 list for all time Cowboys. I wouldn't even consider him top 10.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I'd bet him listing Herschel in the 1 spot (or even at all, really) is tongue in cheek, because of what him being traded brought the team.

Herschel doesn't belong on any top 5 list for all time Cowboys. I wouldn't even consider him top 10.
Yep. He greatest contribution to the team was being traded however his greatest gift to Dallas was being traded.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Top 5

1. Staubach
2. Emmitt
3. Lilly
4. Irvin
5. Aikman

Favorites
1. Irvin
2. Staubach
3. Drew Pearson
4. Randy White
5. Emmitt

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
1. Roger Staubach
2. Emmitt Smith
3. Michael Irvin
4. Bob Lilly
5. Randy White

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Top 5

1. Staubach
2. Aikman
3. Lilly
4. Emmitt
5. Dorsett

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Kevin Smith?
He was still damn good after coming back from the Achilles rupture in an era when that injury normally ended a career.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
5 Best players to put on a Cowboys uniform (consists of players actually considered Cowboys):

1. Staubach
2. Emmitt
3. Larry Allen
4. Bob Lilly
5. Michael Irvin

5 favorites:

1. Irvin
2. Emmitt
3. Woodson
4. Aikman
5. Witten

data

Forbes #1
Here’s my variant of the question...which Cowboy is considered the greatest at their respective position all-time?

Here’s my list:
* Deion Sanders nor Charles Haley eligible for this list for me, as I don’t view them as pure Cowboys.

Tier 1
1. Bob Lilly - I think consensus amongst non-Cowboys fans that Lilly is Top 3 all-time, if not GOAT

2. Larry Allen - Widely considered Top 5 minimum, not as much in GOAT conversation like Lilly.

3. Staubach - Not considered GOAT at all anymore, but universally Top 10, if not Top 5.

4. Emmitt Smith - Probably the most controversial player of all-time when it comes to GOAT conversations, the range of lack of respect and OL this and that drops his ranking on this list. Interestingly, he’s factually/statistically the second most decorated player of all-time behind Jerry Rice. SB rings, playoff stats, career stats, MVPs, rushing titles, etc...Haters can name 10 better running backs, but you can’t name any player besides Rice with more accolades.

Tier 2
5. Randy White - He flies under the radar with all-time discussions, but when his name is mentioned for Top 10, nobody disagrees. Randy White is never mentioned as GOAT, though.

6. Mel Renfro - Also flies under radar, but for NFL fans that know history, though, Renfro is Top 20.

7. Michael Irvin - Debated Irvin for #6, but just so many haters because of his flamboyant nature and, again, surrounded by HOF cast, so he gets knocked down to #7.

8. Jason Witten - Never feared, never defensive-gameplan focus, but just all-around player with no weakness to his game and consistent for so long, he’s definitely Top 20 and arguably as high as Top 10.

9. Tony Dorsett - Definitely Top 7 - 20.

10. Rayfield Wright - Definite Top 20, probably never mentioned in Top 10.

11. Demarcus Ware - I could easily move Ware to #7. Maybe I’m unfairly ranking him lower because I’m looking at his ranking before he left for Denver.

12. Troy Aikman - the hardest player to rank on this list. Could be as high as #6.

Tier 3
13. Cliff Harris

14. Bob Hayes

15. Darren Woodson

Last edited:

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Bill Bates for me, he had heart and soul for this team. I know not drafted.

Larry Allen, he gave it his all.

Charlie Waters

Darren Woodson

Lee Roy Jordan

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'll answer Phil's post with Larry Allen. I don't think Lilly or Staubach, great as they were, would be considered the best ever like LA.

Also, Randy White was an absolute monster badass. He seems to be sort of underrated in some of the historical talk to me. (Good to hear about people not disagreeing with a top-10 ranking, though.)

data

Forbes #1
I don't think that's remotely true.
- For all-time DT, you think Lilly is routinely outside Top 3? Behind Mean Joe Greene? Fair. Behind Buchanan. Possibly. Behind Merlin Olsen and Alan Page? Sometimes...for you to say ‘remotely’ far from true, you make it sound like Lilly is a middle-of-pack HOFer, which I’ve never heard of. Im interested to see where you think Lilly ranks, and/or your perception of where the general public ranks Lilly.

- Which Cowboy is more associated with being GOAT at their position than Lilly?

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
the original post was about comparing Cowboy players to one another, not comparing them to their league counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom