2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I wouldn't part with Cooper unless the deal is so good that we can't refuse it.
why? it's not like he's still gonna be a Cowboy when we put together a SB quality team, which will take years. right now, he's an expensive luxury on a losing team.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We'd take a big cap hit this year so something would have to be worked out with his signing bonus prorated amount, but if that can be worked out with the trading team then it's possible.

I don't think it's very likely though, especially since we can release him after next season with very minimal cap hit, so I'd rather just keep him and run it back for a year unless someone was offering us like a 2nd rounder.

I'm definitely not eating that cap hit for a 3rd or 4th when we could keep him and just release him in about 16 months.
Yup.

Keep him through 2021, release him, sign Gallup to an extension.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The only upside for the rest of the season is getting guys like Gallimore live game reps and hopefully accelerating their development.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[/QUOTE]
I think the Hamilton guy has a little something, not to overstate it. Everyone has been better than Poe

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
over the years we have him Cooper has been both dynamic and spectacular, really? thats what you would hold on to going forward?

if he was solid and dependable, sure, but not as our number 1. Not with Gallup and Cee Dee on the rise.

Cooper goes missing at times, hes not taking charge, heck he might not even be our number 1 reciever right now.

hes also not the best to target at times. id be ok letting him walk away, hes nothing that we cant live without.

I'm not entirely sure I can decipher this, but I'll take a stab at it.

Yes, Cooper has been very good (and at times fantastic) and elevated this offense from mediocre to great.

If you do a modicum of research you'll find that generally Cooper's "inconsistencies" was by and large a product of Garrett's tendency to go into a conservative shell on the road - Cooper's numbers have otherwise been pretty consistent before and after Garrett.

Also, I don't see much evidence that Cooper isn't our best WR currently. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it. Antecdotally, Cooper for instance sure looked like our best WR in our most recent game - Lamb was plagued by drops and Gallup was invisible.

The point, however, isn't specifically about Cooper, but rather that having THREE WRs of the caliber that we have is incredibly difficult for defenses to handle. Exponentially more so than 2. I wouldn't give that up for anything short of an outstanding deal. You have to weigh any potential deal against how much it can actually, legitimately help you in other areas. Because dealing any of the three, at the moment since only one of them is getting paid, takes a lot away from one of our prime advantages against just about every team in the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We'd take a big cap hit this year so something would have to be worked out with his signing bonus prorated amount, but if that can be worked out with the trading team then it's possible.

I don't think it's very likely though, especially since we can release him after next season with very minimal cap hit, so I'd rather just keep him and run it back for a year unless someone was offering us like a 2nd rounder.

I'm definitely not eating that cap hit for a 3rd or 4th when we could keep him and just release him in about 16 months.
Or trade him in a year for a third

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Um..... all I have to say is Tyrone Crawford: $9.1M. And Poe was stealing and overweight? Shit.....
Take note of how nobody with or covering the team will even talk about that worthless stiff!

It's like he's been put into witness protection and everyone has been instructed to never mention his name. Understandable, considering these dumb fucks have wasted close to $20 million on his worthless ass over the past two years. I can see why they want to pretend he doesn't exist. He sure doesn't on gameday!

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I'm not entirely sure I can decipher this, but I'll take a stab at it.

Yes, Cooper has been very good (and at times fantastic) and elevated this offense from mediocre to great.

If you do a modicum of research you'll find that generally Cooper's "inconsistencies" was by and large a product of Garrett's tendency to go into a conservative shell on the road - Cooper's numbers have otherwise been pretty consistent before and after Garrett.

Also, I don't see much evidence that Cooper isn't our best WR currently. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it. Antecdotally, Cooper for instance sure looked like our best WR in our most recent game - Lamb was plagued by drops and Gallup was invisible.

The point, however, isn't specifically about Cooper, but rather that having THREE WRs of the caliber that we have is incredibly difficult for defenses to handle. Exponentially more so than 2. I wouldn't give that up for anything short of an outstanding deal. You have to weigh any potential deal against how much it can actually, legitimately help you in other areas. Because dealing any of the three, at the moment since only one of them is getting paid, takes a lot away from one of our prime advantages against just about every team in the league.

the top part, im not going to refute, you believe in it, so be it.

for me, id rather add another younger WR to the corp or bump up Wilson or another in our stable, once we have a better WR coach.

2, the bottom part, i ll see it when we do it, ive been hearing that for years and its just a "wait til next season" type of thing"

other than that, good pieces of fact and debate, it has expanded my opinion, not renforce it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yup.

Despite as awful as we played before Dak got hurt, we had a chance to win every one of those games near the end and that was because our offense was so potent.

And the biggest reason for that potency was the passing game, made elite because we have 3 pro bowl caliber receivers to throw to.

If Cooper underwhelms or goes the Jaylon Smith route then I can see why you'd want to get rid of him. If not, keep those 3 together for as long as you can.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know that that's true.

I'm not going to firesale one of our best players. He's 26.
I don't even think it should take years to build a defense. We have seen teams do ot basically in one offseason before in the NFL. You just can't be afraid to add legit free agents. The Packers did this pretty recently.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I don't even think it should take years to build a defense. We have seen teams do ot basically in one offseason before in the NFL. You just can't be afraid to add legit free agents. The Packers did this pretty recently.
For that matter, we don't even need an all time defense. We need middle of the road to competent and our offensive line shored up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
1. Cut Jaylon Smith
2. Re-sign either Awuzie or Lewis
3. Sign Eric Wilson (~4-5/year)
4. Sign either DJ Jones or Dalvin Tomlinson (~8-9/year)
5. Draft defensive BPA throughout unless there is a future LT you just can't pass up

Defense fixed.

I mean, I know it'll never happen because our dumbass braintrust is afraid of spending more than $5 million/year on a free agent unless they're one of our own, but it truly is that easy.

We could be looking at this defensive depth chart:

DL: Lawrence, Tomlinson, Hill, Kwity Paye or Gregory Rousseau (round 1), Randy Gregory, Neville Gallimore, Bradlee Anae, Dorance Armstrong
LB: LVE, Wilson, Bernard, Gifford, mid-round pick or two
CB: Awuzie, Diggs, Brown, mid-round pick or two
S: Richard LeCounte (round 2), Donovan Wilson, Reggie Robinson

With solid coaching that depth chart is more than enough to win 10 games with a healthy offense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It looks way worse than it is right now because our QB is down, and almost the entire offensive line is down.

Assuming we'll have at least those things back in place next season, plus some free agency money and a load of draft picks, I don't see any reason why this team would be particularly far away from competing at a high level.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks way worse than it is right now because our QB is down, and almost the entire offensive line is down.

Assuming we'll have at least those things back in place next season, plus some free agency money and a load of draft picks, I don't see any reason why this team would be particularly far away from competing at a high level.
The offense is already there with a mostly healthy O-line and Dak. We just need to rebuild the defense to be solid. Middle of the pack in most categories and we will win plenty of games to compete. Now how you get there on defense is what is going to decide how good we are next year. Do you take the same players and hope a scheme change fixes it. Do you get all new players and new coaches? That's probably the way to go but you can't screw up the coaching hire again this time. You need someone who has experience being a rock solid defensive coordinator in the NFL. You also can't sit around and sign only guys left months after free agency opens. You're going to need to be agressive in getting some legit good starters right away. Pair them with what is decent from this year and then draft well. You do all that and you'll have the foundation of a good defense with the potential to grow into something even better a year or two down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom