2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have to sit your top players then you aren’t getting what you paid for. I don’t mean a game or so. If they aren’t in the starting lineup and you are paying them for nothing then they need to be traded or cut.
Oh I agree with that. But again, that doesn't justify starting a guy based purely on hos salary. If the guy sucks play someone else. I don't care how much a guy is making.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If you have to sit your top players then you aren’t getting what you paid for. I don’t mean a game or so. If they aren’t in the starting lineup and you are paying them for nothing then they need to be traded or cut.
And sometimes you need to bench even star players as a wakeup call, Zeke shouldn't play a single down vs the Redskins

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And sometimes you need to bench even star players as a wakeup call, Zeke shouldn't play a single down vs the Redskins
Yep the Saints did it with Michael Thomas but for very different reasons. I think Zeke needs a fucking wakeup call. I appreciate he says he takes responsibility but this wasn't his first fuckup of a game. He is the definition of reading his own press clippings. He clearly thinks he is a better player than he really is.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yep the Saints did it with Michael Thomas but for very different reasons. I think Zeke needs a fucking wakeup call. I appreciate he says he takes responsibility but this wasn't his first fuckup of a game. He is the definition of reading his own press clippings. He clearly thinks he is a better player than he really is.
Yeah MT was a bit different but still I have no doubt Belichick would have benched his ass after that 2nd fumble no matter what his contract is

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh I agree with that. But again, that doesn't justify starting a guy based purely on hos salary. If the guy sucks play someone else. I don't care how much a guy is making.
The starting lineup should be your highest paid players (except the rookies who have limited amounts) . If you have veterans who are drawing high pay and they are playing behind someone who makes less then you need to shuffle the player roster to where the highest paid per position is starting. If the lesser paid guys are the teams starters then you don’t need a higher paid player as depth. You are abusing your cap capabilities.

I view Elliot in this category the way he I’d playing now. He would either earn hiis pay or find work somewhere else if he has to sit. I don’t see how he should stay on the roster if he doesn’t pick up his production right away. He is having a bad year and it doesn’t look like it’s getting better. I hope he does pick it up because the team needs to have his production now.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The starting lineup should be your highest paid players (except the rookies who have limited amounts) . If you have veterans who are drawing high pay and they are playing behind someone who makes less then you need to shuffle the player roster to where the highest paid per position is starting. If the lesser paid guys are the teams starters then you don’t need a higher paid player as depth. You are abusing your cap capabilities.

I view Elliot in this category the way he I’d playing now. He would either earn hiis pay or find work somewhere else if he has to sit. I don’t see how he should stay on the roster if he doesn’t pick up his production right away. He is having a bad year and it doesn’t look like it’s getting better. I hope he does pick it up because the team needs to have his production now.
You sit them for a game as a temp punishment rather than going full scorched earth right off the bat, it's to give him a chance. Surely you get this...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah MT was a bit different but still I have no doubt Belichick would have benched his ass after that 2nd fumble no matter what his contract is
He absolutely would have. It's the one thing you can't have from your RB. QBs throw picks, its part of the risk involved with greater gains. But the whole fucking point of running the ball or passing to your RB is the low risk involved in the play. It's the worst thing a RB can do.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why can't you sit a guy making big money? If he hurts your team I see no reason regardless of his check to play him.
This is exactly right. Sit his ass for a half and make an example of him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You sit them for a game as a temp punishment rather than going full scorched earth right off the bat, it's to give him a chance. Surely you get this...
Yes I get that. I couched my comments with the way he is playing now. If he can’t break this trend then I think he needs to be re-evaluated as to whether he stays on the team and soaks up a large part of the cap for his player position. But I would not consider the idea of keeping him for backup with his contract terms.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yes I get that. I couched my comments with the way he is playing now. If he can’t break this trend then I think he needs to be re-evaluated as to whether he stays on the team and soaks up a large part of the cap for his player position. But I would not consider the idea of keeping him for backup with his contract terms.
The sitting him thing is temporary. It's to wake his ass up. The Rangers did it with Rougned Odor a few years ago and it worked wonders. Let him sit and think about things for a bit. Every time a player walks past him on the bench with the offense on the field they will be reminded as to why he is sitting there and not on the field himself.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The sitting him thing is temporary. It's to wake his ass up. The Rangers did it with Rougned Odor a few years ago and it worked wonders. Let him sit and think about things for a bit. Every time a player walks past him on the bench with the offense on the field they will be reminded as to why he is sitting there and not on the field himself.

It worked wonders for a few months but I guess it could be different for different players. I have to be one of his biggest fans here and even I was calling for him to sit the game. He needs to talk to Tiki Barber. I think he fixed his fumbling issue at one time but it will probably take the offseason.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I understand. But his trends this season after 5 games are barely average. About 72 yards rushing per game and some say that’s not bad but the number of dropped passes and fumbles makes this contribution almost worthless. This is what I am saying. Sure sit him as a wake up call but keep a close tab on whether he is an asset or liability to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom