2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Very odd, I mean teams are willing to give Antonio Brown, who has a legitimate mental disorder, another chance and a 31 year old future 1st ballot HOF'er who just made the Pro Bowl last year can't even get a sniff?

These coaches are going to have their nuts on the line trotting out Darian Thompson as a starter, if he gets roasted they're going to look like complete morons.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Very odd, I mean teams are willing to give Antonio Brown, who has a legitimate mental disorder, another chance and a 31 year old future 1st ballot HOF'er who just made the Pro Bowl last year can't even get a sniff?

These coaches are going to have their nuts on the line trotting out Darian Thompson as a starter, if he gets roasted they're going to look like complete morons.
No one else is bringing in Thomas either. I don't blame the cowboys if they want to see if they can get by with what they have before bringing in a potential problem.

There's no urgency as long as he's still out there without getting so much as a sniff from any team.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No one else is bringing in Thomas either. I don't blame the cowboys if they want to see if they can get by with what they have before bringing in a potential problem.

There's no urgency as long as he's still out there without getting so much as a sniff from any team.
That's what I'm saying, it's odd that nobody around the league is interested at all, not just the Cowboys.

If Thompson goes out and shits the bed over the first week or two I'd imagine the interest will magically ramp up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Whats the room for exactly? Hoping to carry over for next year?
Yea, to re-sign Prescott.

At this point a 4/160 extension for him is basically the same thing as franchising him, assuming his cap hits would look something like 36, 39, 41, 44 over the 4 years.

Franchising him next year is 37 and change if I'm remembering right.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
That's what I'm saying, it's odd that nobody around the league is interested at all, not just the Cowboys.

If Thompson goes out and shits the bed over the first week or two I'd imagine the interest will magically ramp up.
Due to salaries not being guaranteed after week one, I think the 'interest' will ramp up anyway. I think that's exactly what McCarthy and Co are waiting for.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Due to salaries not being guaranteed after week one, I think the 'interest' will ramp up anyway. I think that's exactly what McCarthy and Co are waiting for.
Yeah with a problem child it makes sense. Thomas is getting paid by the Ravens either way.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I was bored at work and decided to see what it looked like. I used full year 2010, not starting at game 10 when Garrett took over, so it's a little off. Also doesn't include playoffs for either Garrett or McCarthy. I don't think there's enough playoff games for the Cowboys to matter all that much.

From Pro Football Reference:

Garrett
Winning %
McCarthy
Winning %
Halftime Lead of 1 or More
60-21​
.740​
98-18​
.844​
Team Scores First
58-33​
.637​
86-29​
.747​
Scores 30 Points or More
44-11​
.800​
69-6​
.920​
Not as awful as you might expect.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Would be interested to see Garrett's record with a halftime lead and when scoring first.
I seem to remember in that Garrett "trophy case" thread, Garrett's Cowboys had an excessive amount of losses when scoring 30 or more points.

data

Forbes #1
I was bored at work and decided to see what it looked like. I used full year 2010, not starting at game 10 when Garrett took over, so it's a little off. Also doesn't include playoffs for either Garrett or McCarthy. I don't think there's enough playoff games for the Cowboys to matter all that much.

Garrett
Winning %
McCarthy
Winning %
60-21​
.740​
98-18​
.844​
Team Scores First
58-33​
.637​
86-29​
.747​
Scores 30 Points or More
44-11​
.800​
69-6​
.920​

Garrett’s 44-11 in 55 games total. With McCarthy’s win %, 55 games would be 50-5, a difference of six games.

Garrett made the playoffs 3 out of 9 seasons.

Six flipped games spread out over Garrett’s career could have meant we made playoffs 8 out of 9 seasons instead.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's not like we missed the playoffs 3 years in a row because we narrowly lost the division on the final week of the season while losing multiple games despite scoring 30+ points over the course of the year, often times against the very same divisional opponent we were going to head to head with in Week 17 for the division.

Oh, wait.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Garrett’s 44-11 in 55 games total. With McCarthy’s win %, 55 games would be 50-5, a difference of six games.

Garrett made the playoffs 3 out of 9 seasons.

Six flipped games spread out over Garrett’s career could have meant we made playoffs 8 out of 9 seasons instead.
The difference between average and elite.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The Athletic has a good, but super fucking long, article about Jaylon Smith that I'm not gonna post.

Some interesting tidbits in there, but also like a puff piece for Smith himself. It'll make you like and dislike him.

It tries to talk about his promotions, the Swipe, the Clear Eye View, the eye-wear line, the other four businesses he owns, as part of his "grand plan," for his life both during and after football and paint it like it's a good thing that he has aspirations to be more than a football player.

In some ways it is, but in some ways, it definitely is not. It's like.... do those things after football, man.

But I think he feels like he wants to capitalize on the fame that being a football star offers, that he needs that fame to get his businesses going. If he waits till 3 years after retirement, no one will care about being in business with or buying products from an ex NFL linebacker who isn't named, like, Ray Lewis. Which is probably true, but that's where I disagree with his approach.

It even makes you feel like the early extension he signed wasn't as much about the "security," after his gruesome injury (which is what he claims it was about), and more about the fact that he was itching to get the seed capital to start his other businesses.

The article implies that he believes he can be the best Jaylon Smith on the field that he can be, while also being the best Jaylon Smith entrepreneur that he can be off the field, at the same time, that it's all part of his indivisible personality, but I don't think I agree. NFL Football is too high level for multitasking.

Do one, then use what fame (and assuredly, wealth) remains to do the others.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Athletic has a good, but super fucking long, article about Jaylon Smith that I'm not gonna post.

Some interesting tidbits in there, but also like a puff piece for Smith himself. It'll make you like and dislike him.

It tries to talk about his promotions, the Swipe, the Clear Eye View, the eye-wear line, the other four businesses he owns, as part of his "grand plan," for his life both during and after football and paint it like it's a good thing that he has aspirations to be more than a football player.

In some ways it is, but in some ways, it definitely is not. It's like.... do those things after football, man.

But I think he feels like he wants to capitalize on the fame that being a football star offers, that he needs that fame to get his businesses going. If he waits till 3 years after retirement, no one will care about being in business with or buying products from an ex NFL linebacker who isn't named, like, Ray Lewis. Which is probably true, but that's where I disagree with his approach.

It even makes you feel like the early extension he signed wasn't as much about the "security," after his gruesome injury (which is what he claims it was about), and more about the fact that he was itching to get the seed capital to start his other businesses.

The article implies that he believes he can be the best Jaylon Smith on the field that he can be, while also being the best Jaylon Smith entrepreneur that he can be off the field, at the same time, that it's all part of his indivisible personality, but I don't think I agree. NFL Football is too high level for multitasking.

Do one, then use what fame (and assuredly, wealth) remains to do the others.
Just posted the article.

data

Forbes #1
I feel the same way about any NFL player that has a wife and kids

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

Garrett
Winning %
McCarthy
Winning %
60-21​
.740​
98-18​
.844​
Team Scores First
58-33​