2020 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think we'd have taken Chaisson over Ruggs for sure, Jeudy I'm not so sure about but I think we may have still gone Chaisson.

I'm also curious as to who ranked above Lamb on our board. Assuming what the team said is true about Lamb being 6 I'd assume it was Burrow, Young, Simmons, Okudah for sure, and then maybe Brown or even Tua.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we'd have taken Chaisson over Ruggs for sure, Jeudy I'm not so sure about but I think we may have still gone Chaisson.

I'm also curious as to who ranked above Lamb on our board. Assuming what the team said is true about Lamb being 6 I'd assume it was Burrow, Young, Simmons, Okudah for sure, and then maybe Brown or even Tua.
I know I read somewhere that Lamb was the top WR on our board. So I'm with you, Ruggs and Juedy were somewhere lower on our board. We just don't know how much lower. And we also don't know how high they had Chaisson. My guess is if it was close they would have gone with Chaisson based on the talent of this draft. It clearly wasn't close when it came to Lamb and obviously they knew they needed a WR in this draft at some point. They just weren't thinking first round until the stars aligned and the top WR on their board fell.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I know I read somewhere that Lamb was the top WR on our board. So I'm with you, Ruggs and Juedy were somewhere lower on our board. We just don't know how much lower. And we also don't know how high they had Chaisson. My guess is if it was close they would have gone with Chaisson based on the talent of this draft. It clearly wasn't close when it came to Lamb and obviously they knew they needed a WR in this draft at some point. They just weren't thinking first round until the stars aligned and the top WR on their board fell.
I think I saw that too. Lamb was their top guy. If he hadn't have been there, it would have been Chaisson.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Actually I am surprised at the reaction of the site posters and their almost total agreement with the draft picks. I would have thought that some would trash Jones for picking a receiver as the number one pick when they team already had good strength and balance at that position even though I think it was the best choice.

Then the second choice was a CB and historically this site is taboo for some to use high draft picks for a CB. I fully expected some sharp criticisms.

The next choice was a defensive player and probably an obvious choice but it was another Sooner so that in itself was worthy enough to point the finger.

At any rate I am surprised at the almost total acceptance of the draft and lack of discontent. Sometimes things just can’t be explained. :shrug

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Actually I am surprised at the reaction of the site posters and their almost total agreement with the draft picks. I would have thought that some would trash Jones for picking a receiver as the number one pick when they team already had good strength and balance at that position even though I think it was the best choice.

Then the second choice was a CB and historically this site is taboo for some to use high draft picks for a CB. I fully expected some sharp criticisms.

The next choice was a defensive player and probably an obvious choice but it was another Sooner so that in itself was worthy enough to point the finger.

At any rate I am surprised at the almost total acceptance of the draft and lack of discontent. Sometimes things just can’t be explained. :shrug

i think its 90 10, 90 percent good draft, 10 percent glad its not Garrett.

i could be wrong on the numbers, but i think some people are just happy Garrett isnt here anymore. that and Marinelli begging for stupid players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think its 90 10, 90 percent good draft, 10 percent glad its not Garrett.

i could be wrong on the numbers, but i think some people are just happy Garrett isnt here anymore. that and Marinelli begging for stupid players.
I think the draft was that good. I think posters were waiting to turn on the draft but the good picks kept coming even on day 3. Our first 3 picks were very good but for example I had a list of 10 guys for day 3 I wanted. We literally picked 2 of my top 3 guys. That kind of thing never happens.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I think the draft was that good. I think posters were waiting to turn on the draft but the good picks kept coming even on day 3. Our first 3 picks were very good but for example I had a list of 10 guys for day 3 I wanted. We literally picked 2 of my top 3 guys. That kind of thing never happens.
wow, glad to hear that. i was barely into it this year but from what im heraing, Dallas made no mistakes this year

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nobody knows how it'll turn out once they get on the field but this is the best I've felt during/after a draft since 2005.

As far as the first 3 rounds go I think 2018 was close, maybe 2014 even though we lost a 3rd trading up, but the much stronger day 3 this year put it way over the top.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody knows how it'll turn out once they get on the field but this is the best I've felt during/after a draft since 2005.

As far as the first 3 rounds go I think 2018 was close, maybe 2014 even though we lost a 3rd trading up, but the much stronger day 3 this year put it way over the top.
Day three is usually when we go off the rails and yet day three is what makes all the difference between a good draft and a special one. If you can really hit on a day 3 pick it gives your team a big advantage over others in terms of roster building. I feel good that we hit on at least one day three guy if not more.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Day three is usually when we go off the rails and yet day three is what makes all the difference between a good draft and a special one. If you can really hit on a day 3 pick it gives your team a big advantage over others in terms of roster building. I feel good that we hit on at least one day three guy if not more.
Yep, no fucking Ryan Switzers, Isaiah Stanbacks or Akwasi Owusu-Ansah's this year.

p1_

DCC 4Life

You sound almost disappointed

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Yepper, I think it's possible we could have 4-5 quality day 2 and 3 starters in the future. That would be amazing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You sound almost disappointed
Not at all disappointed in the choices. Only surprised that some who are never satisfied with the draft picks are all in agreement. It’s a rare thing.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The draft is all about layering a foundation for the next four years or so, and most of this site gets that. Hence the overall elation. Dallas got clear value at positions of need in each round.

If you only look at patching the current team you end up with crap like the 1995 backups draft, 2009’s special teams draft, the X-Ray draft, the Aikman trying out WRs draft, or most of the shitty drafts we had with Jerry as undisputed GM.

What makes this even more exciting is the clear leadership and input McCarthy has brought along with the philosophy of “players over scheme”. We haven’t had that in Dallas since Jimmy Johnson used extra picks to draft the same talented players he tried to recruit years earlier in college.

Jimmy left his offensive and defensive schemes behind and Jerry Jones bent over backwards trying to maintain them. He forced Chan Gailey to keep the defensive schemes in place and brought back the same offensive schemes once he fired Gailey.

Scheme over talent was the cause of the rush job Bill Parcells made trying to build a 3-4 and win a title before he retired. He converted Greg Ellis to a LB, dumped La’Roi Glover, force-drafted Marcus Spears and Bobby Carpenter, and alienated a solid DC in Mike Zimmer to implement his 3-4.

And of course Jerry bent over backwards to keep the damned scheme (without truly understanding it) once Parcells left hiring both Wade and Rob Ryan. They eroded the team letting building blocks like Chris Canty go while keeping the average Spears and signing more average guys like Igor Olshansky. They refused to change to a 4-3 even though it was clear both Hatcher and Ratliff were better suited to it.

Bottom line it’s been ages since we had coaches prioritize talent over scheme and I can’t wait

Yep, no fucking Ryan Switzers, Isaiah Stanbacks or Akwasi Owusu-Ansah's this year.
Is it me or does it seem that all the “project” players were being picked in the later rounds while Garrett had been coach? I mean was it him wanting to pull the trigger on that?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is it me or does it seem that all the “project” players were being picked in the later rounds while Garrett had been coach? I mean was it him wanting to pull the trigger on that?
Nah, we've been doing it long before Garrett. I think we peaked under Campo.

Top Bottom