2019 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Derek Stingley Jr is a freaking stud. I haven't seen a CB of his caliber in the college ranks since Charles Woodson.

AND HE'S ONLY A TRUE FRESHMAN!!!!
Yea he's on another level

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The 4 team playoff is at least better than it used to be, but it still has a bunch of bullshit politics/favorites for teams that make it or get left out.
Yea they should expand it to 8. Have the p5 conference winners and then let the committee pick the other 3

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I don't want Oklahoma to make the playoffs but watching Jalen Hurts is still frustrating as hell.

Lincoln Riley is a magician for getting the numbers out of Hurts that he has. If you look at the stat book, Hurts is an absolute stud. But when you watch him play he looks like a borderline 'tard in the mold of Quincy Carter.

No hyperbole, that's honestly who he reminds me of when I watch him play.

I don't understand why Riley feels the need to call 20+ designed runs a game for him. Most of them are very ineffective and they're not fooling anyone.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Holy shit Wisconsin :towel

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It's a damn shame this Big10 game doesn't mean anything and is exactly why they should expand the playoffs.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Good night so far for bbgun...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want Oklahoma to make the playoffs but watching Jalen Hurts is still frustrating as hell.

Lincoln Riley is a magician for getting the numbers out of Hurts that he has. If you look at the stat book, Hurts is an absolute stud. But when you watch him play he looks like a borderline 'tard in the mold of Quincy Carter.

No hyperbole, that's honestly who he reminds me of when I watch him play.
They will make the playoffs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wisconsin had it for a while there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's a damn shame this Big10 game doesn't mean anything and is exactly why they should expand the playoffs.
Of course they should. It is just common sense.

I hate Alabama, but I bet they could give any of these teams all they could handle.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
NDSU Bison win their 34th straight, in the second round of the playoffs. A new FCS record.

:towel

As an aside, the FBS should have an actual playoff system like the FCS does.

Twenty-four teams were originally selected to the 2019 FCS championship bracket. Ten were awarded automatic qualification via regular season conference championship. The remaining 14 teams were selected at large.

The 4 team playoff is at least better than it used to be, but it still has a bunch of bullshit politics/favorites for teams that make it or get left out.
I like this system also and it’s one that is a lot more accurate than the Division 1 system.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State's players and coaches begging and arguing their cases for the #1 seed so they can get that virtual bye week vs Oklahoma. :lol

1bigfan13

Staff member
We're going to get cornholed by Ohio State. I'd have been fine with a trip to the Sugar Bowl.
Same here. I'd have loved to have gone to the Sugar Bowl and played Georgia or Florida. Those teams are a better matchup for OU.

IMO, all this trip to the playoffs proves is that OU is nowhere near the level of the other 3 teams.

Also, I think it's a bad look and hurts our recruiting. Oklahoma is usually on the radar of the same top recruits that end up signing with Clemson, Bama, Ohio St, etc. The problem is when Oklahoma gets on the field with those teams in the playoffs, they get beat down and look completely over-matched....particularly on defense. Elite prospects are watching these games. If you're one of those prospects, why would you choose to go to the team that looks completely over-matched and isn't producing any top NFL prospects (on defense)?

Therefore, I'd have rather gone to the Sugar Bowl where we could have put on a better show and possibly sway one or two of those 4 or 5 star recruits into coming to Oklahoma. Instead we're probably going to see LSU hang close to 50 on us......and there is no way in hell this year's Oklahoma offense can hang with them. Not with Jalen "One-Read" Hurts leading the offense.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he will be a better pro than Rosen, without question. I know him pretty well since he went to school in my hometown. He was raised well and has good intangibles. Yes, he is not the most talented. A lot of people liken him to Brees. I can see some of it.
I don't see Brees at all. Brees was an absolute badass at Purdue.

Now I see much more Andy Dalton in the guy. Which isn't a bad thing. He just isn't the gun slinger that Brees was in college.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I actually like the 4 team playoff and think that should be the number.

They just need to find a way to eliminate the politics and human bias that you mentioned. They always deny it but program prestige and putting 4 teams out there who will draw ratings nationally are absolutely factors in their decision making and it shouldn't be.

There were already indicators that they were preparing to have Oklahoma jump Utah even if Utah had won the PAC 12. For instance, after Oklahoma beat Oklahoma State last weekend, they only dropped Oklahoma State from 21 to 24. Despite Oklahoma pretty much dominating them from start to finish and Oklahoma State dealing with several significant injuries. The rumor is they did this to justify Oklahoma getting the bump over Utah as the win over Oklahoma State would have been considered a win over a "top 25" team.

My suggestion is they may need to do something like a mix between the old BCS and the current 4 team playoffs. Maybe have computers/algorithms determine the 4 best teams rather than a room full of executives who have one eye on what's best for TV ratings.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don't see Brees at all. Brees was an absolute badass at Purdue.

Now I see much more Andy Dalton in the guy. Which isn't a bad thing. He just isn't the gun slinger that Brees was in college.
Solid point. For those old enough to remember, that Brees-Tiller QB-coach combo was as good as it gets. Kinda like Mayfield-Riley. It was that damn good.

So considering that, it does feel a bit disrespectful to Brees to lump Fromm into the same category as him.

Last edited:

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Same here. I'd have loved to have gone to the Sugar Bowl and played Georgia or Florida. Those teams are a better matchup for OU.

IMO, all this trip trip to the playoffs proves is that OU is nowhere near the level of the other 3 teams.

Also, I think it's a bad look and hurts our recruiting. Oklahoma is usually on the radar of the same top recruits that end up signing with Clemson, Bama, Ohio St, etc. The problem is when Oklahoma gets on the field with those teams in the playoffs, they get beat down and look completely over-matched....particularly on defense. Elite prospects are watching these games. If you're one of those prospects, why would you choose to go to the team that looks completely over-matched and isn't producing any top NFL prospects (on defense)?

Therefore, I'd have rather gone to the Sugar Bowl where we could have put on a better show and possibly sway one or two of those 4 or 5 star recruits to coming to Oklahoma. Instead we're probably going to see LSU hang close to 50 on us......and there is no way in hell this year's Oklahoma offense can hang with them. Not with Jalen "One-Read" Hurts leading the offense.

Excellent points. Totally agree.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Good night so far for bbgun...
You just had to say something. :angry

Well, they covered the spread and gave OSU more of game than Michigan did, so there's that. A team like LSU isn't gonna crater like UW did, so I don't think this is the Buckeyes' year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom