2019 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't want Oklahoma to make the playoffs but watching Jalen Hurts is still frustrating as hell.

Lincoln Riley is a magician for getting the numbers out of Hurts that he has. If you look at the stat book, Hurts is an absolute stud. But when you watch him play he looks like a borderline 'tard in the mold of Quincy Carter.

No hyperbole, that's honestly who he reminds me of when I watch him play.
:LT

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
You don’t want Oklahoma to make the playoffs?
Nope. Coming into today the best case scenario for me as a fan was for Oklahoma to win the Big 12 title game and for Georgia to beat LSU. That way the top 4 would have remained the same and Oklahoma would have been #5 at best.

I'm tired of watching them get their teeth kicked in vs these better schools. I want the Oklahoma defense to be strong and capable of holding up in the trenches vs teams like Georgia, Clemson, and Bama. They're improved but not there yet.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Almost all of throws need to be designed for him.
Exactly. And that's why I made the Quincy Carter reference.

The passing game has been significantly dumbed down just so Hurts can function, yet he still struggles on anything that's not an underneath crossing route or dump to the flats.

He's a one read QB. Dude is a 5th year senior with about 40 starts under his belt and still doesn't understand the concept of going through receiver progressions.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Exactly. And that's why I made the Quincy Carter reference.

The passing game has been significantly dumbed down just so Hurts can function, yet he still struggles on anything that's not an underneath crossing route or dump to the flats.

He's a one read QB. Dude is a 5th year senior with about 40 starts under his belt and still doesn't understand the concept of going through receiver progressions.
All in all though, Riley makes it easy on practically any QB. But I think both Mayfield and Murray left there capable of making decent enough reads.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Burrow looks so damn good, but half the time he has forever to throw.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Fromm is another one of those QBs that people were too quick to anoint. I was guilty of doing the same thing with Josh Rosen after his freshman year at UCLA.

After a good freshman year and a run to the national title game, Fromm followed that year up with a couple of good but not great seasons. He just hasn't made the leap that many assumed he would. People were assuming he'd be a top 5 pick in 2020 or 2021.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Burrow looks so damn good, but half the time he has forever to throw.
I blame the Georgia DC for that 1st TD of the game. Georgia only rushed 3 and Burrow literally sat in the pocket for about 10 seconds before finding a WR for the TD. You have to always send 4 or 5 against great QBs like Burrow. Make him get the ball out of his hands quick and try to speed up that internal clock.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fromm is another one of those QBs that people were too quick to anoint. I was guilty of doing the same thing with Josh Rosen after his freshman year at UCLA.

After a good freshman year and a run to the national title game, Fromm followed that year up with a couple of good but not great seasons. He just hasn't made the leap that many assumed he would. People were assuming he'd be a top 5 pick in 2020 or 2021.
I think he will be a better pro than Rosen, without question. I know him pretty well since he went to school in my hometown. He was raised well and has good intangibles. Yes, he is not the most talented. A lot of people liken him to Brees. I can see some of it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm calling for the upset of the weekend.

Clemson 47
UVA 28

Virginia staying within 20 will be a massive upset. Jaws will be on the floor.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I blame the Georgia DC for that 1st TD of the game. Georgia only rushed 3 and Burrow literally sat in the pocket for about 10 seconds before finding a WR for the TD. You have to always send 4 or 5 against great QBs like Burrow. Make him get the ball out of his hands quick and try to speed up that internal clock.
I was referring to other games as well. The dude has so much time to throw.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm calling for the upset of the weekend.

Clemson 47
UVA 28

Virginia staying within 20 will be massive upset. Jaws will be on the floor.
The ACC was about as weak this year as I can ever remember. There is no damn way they don't blow out Virginia.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So Kiffin to Ole Miss and Norvell to FSU. Should liven things up a bit.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I think he will be a better pro than Rosen, without question. I know him pretty well since he went to school in my hometown. He was raised well and has good intangibles. Yes, he is not the most talented. A lot of people liken him to Brees. I can see some of it.
I like him better than Rosen as a pro prospect. I view him as a 2nd round pick, which could be a blessing in disguise. Gives him a better shot at landing with a functional organization rather than being picked up by some dysfunctional team like the Redskins.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like him better than Rosen as a pro prospect. I view him as a 2nd round pick, which could be a blessing in disguise. Gives him a better shot at landing with a functional organization rather than being picked up by some dysfunctional team like the Redskins.
If the Saints keep Brees and let Bridgewater walk, I think they could take him late in the first or trade for a second to get him. Just looks like a natural fit.

You are 100% correct that he has to go to an organization that has it on the ball versus wanting him to save them.

1bigfan13

Staff member
How was that not an offensive facemask on the LSU RB?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Derek Stingley Jr is a freaking stud. I haven't seen a CB of his caliber in the college ranks since Charles Woodson.

AND HE'S ONLY A TRUE FRESHMAN!!!!

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
NDSU Bison win their 34th straight, in the second round of the playoffs. A new FCS record.

:towel

As an aside, the FBS should have an actual playoff system like the FCS does.

Twenty-four teams were originally selected to the 2019 FCS championship bracket. Ten were awarded automatic qualification via regular season conference championship. The remaining 14 teams were selected at large.

The 4 team playoff is at least better than it used to be, but it still has a bunch of bullshit politics/favorites for teams that make it or get left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom