2017 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Adding age and cost into the equation, there is no way I trade Jourdan Lewis for Richard Sherman. But, to each their own I guess.
Yeah the obvious draw back is that Sherman is 29 and on a 13.6 mil cap charge. I'd rather Lewis because of that. Dallas is building for the next 5 years and not just for next year.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yeah the obvious draw back is that Sherman is 29 and on a 13.6 mil cap charge. I'd rather Lewis because of that. Dallas is building for the next 5 years and not just for next year.
With the way they've run the last few drafts and their approach to FA, you've got to believe that good things will start happening for this team.

It will be great to start picking up more comp picks...let other teams sign players who we're ready to move on from. Make smart draft picks and re-stock the roster.

Whoever is responsible for this methodical approach, most likely McClay, needs to be given the GM treatment before too long. I know Jerry doesn't want to take that hat off, but a little humility could keep this team's arrow UP for a long time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
With the way they've run the last few drafts and their approach to FA, you've got to believe that good things will start happening for this team.

It will be great to start picking up more comp picks...let other teams sign players who we're ready to move on from. Make smart draft picks and re-stock the roster.

Whoever is responsible for this methodical approach, most likely McClay, needs to be given the GM treatment before too long. I know Jerry doesn't want to take that hat off, but a little humility could keep this team's arrow UP for a long time.
As long as he is getting paid, I highly doubt McClay gives a damn what his title is. And, get paid he should.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as he is getting paid, I highly doubt McClay gives a damn what his title is. And, get paid he should.
Pay him like a GM, he already runs the team like the GM and what else is there? I guess a GM might prefer to work for a less meddling owner but so far Jerry has stayed out of his way for the most part.

The title is really a WGAS thing as long as everything else is there that a GM usually gets. And frankly every GM in the NFL is subject to an owner overruling them. It's just that most owners aren't like Jerry.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
What are the rules pertaining to interviewing other team's personnel folks for a GM position? You always hear of teams requesting permission to speak with a guy, but is that the law when you're offering a promotion as far as the title goes?

Hopefully McClay is happy with his progression with the Jones and has a desire to stick around even if he's never going to get the limelight in Dallas. We can see the change in FA and draft philosophy pretty clearly in the last few years and it won't be long before another team at least inquires.

I'd like to think Dallas is prepared to keep him in town for a long time, but the prestige of being "The GM" means a lot to some people.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are the rules pertaining to interviewing other team's personnel folks for a GM position? You always hear of teams requesting permission to speak with a guy, but is that the law when you're offering a promotion as far as the title goes?

Hopefully McClay is happy with his progression with the Jones and has a desire to stick around even if he's never going to get the limelight in Dallas. We can see the change in FA and draft philosophy pretty clearly in the last few years and it won't be long before another team at least inquires.

I'd like to think Dallas is prepared to keep him in town for a long time, but the prestige of being "The GM" means a lot to some people.
You have to get permission if they are under contract. The only exception I believe is if you are making someone a head coach.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Some of you guys sure are certain that these young draft picks are going to be great players.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Some of you guys sure are certain that these young draft picks are going to be great players.
Hyperbole aside, I seriously doubt anybody is 'certain' any of these players are going to be 'great' players.

But if you can't see the drastic change in our draft results over the past few years, and that doesn't give you more confidence that Xavier Woods will become a better player than Akwasi Owusu Ansah, I don't know what to tell you.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Just curious, what year did this drastic change start? Because 2015 looks pretty bad.

I'm glad you're pumped, though. Seems like this board used to be so negative.

Cotton

Staff member
Just curious, what year did this drastic change start? Because 2015 looks pretty bad.

I'm glad you're pumped, though. Seems like this board used to be so negative.
When there is reason to be negative, we still are. There have been a ton of reasons to be positive lately, so the board has shifted to a more positive encouraged outlook. Well, from most of us. Booze just looks for shit to bitch about.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think 2015 looks bad at all.

Jones
Green
Wilson
Swaim

All solid contributors at the very least.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Jones
Green
Wilson
Swaim

If Green can stay healthy he is our starting RT. Wilson was a part time starter last year. Jones is obviously a nice piece to the secondary becoming our full starting starting FS. That's not bad at all.

Cotton

Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Jones
Green
Wilson
Swaim

All depends on Green, really. Wilson is barely a JAG and Swaim is nothing special. Jones is solid but doesn't make plays.

The OL has a glaring hole at RT no one wants to talk about, and Green needs to fill it.

Even then I'd still prefer it was Collins and that they convert Green to guard.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Don't shoot yourself is right up there with any of the sage advice Ben Franklin offered.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Ben Roethlisberger responds to being called out by Myles Garrett

Ben Roethlisberger responds to being called out by Myles Garrett

No. 1 overall draft pick Myles Garrett is anxious to get his hands on Ben Roethlisberger this upcoming season, and the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback is ready for the challenge.

After he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns, Garrett was asked which AFC North QB he is most looking forward to dragging to the turf. He didn’t hesitate.

“Big Ben!” the former Texas A&M star said. “Big Ben is a Super Bowl winner and I heard he’s hard to take down. So, I’m coming for him first, chop him down.”

Roethlisberger took note, and he said he and his offensive linemen are looking forward to facing Cleveland on Sept. 10.

“I was talking to [Maurkice Pouncey] after Garrett called me out,” the vetera said. “Pounce got a big kick out of it. All of my linemen enjoyed hearing it. They can’t wait to get started. I can’t, either.”

There’s nothing wrong with being confident, but Garrett should be careful what he wishes for. While he’s a tremendous athlete, he hasn’t yet adapted to life in the NFL. Better yet, he doesn’t have a full understanding of what it means to be a Brown. Typically it involves a lot of losing. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom