2017 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd be perfectly happy with 3 good seasons from him because now is the time to strike for us.
Why is that? We are a really young team. Outside of Jason Witten and maybe Dez Bryant, our core talent has a lot more than just a three year window.

I'll pass on trading a premium pick for a guy that is super expensive and will probably start to decline in the next couple years

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Why is that? We are a really young team. Outside of Jason Witten and maybe Dez Bryant, our core talent has a lot more than just a three year window.

I'll pass on trading a premium pick for a guy that is super expensive and will probably start to decline in the next couple years
Because we're close.

Like you said, our core is young and it's not like we'd be mortgaging the future by giving up a 3rd round pick for a proven playmaker at a premium position.

Those 90's squads were mostly young with a few important vets like a Sherman filling in important roles.

Haley, Thomas Everett, Jim Jeffcoat, Jay Novacek, etc.

None of those guys were spring chickens, but they all gave us between 3 to 5 years of high level play that complimented the young base very well. I think Sherman fits that mold.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They are going the wrong way. Gonna feature more one sided political bullshit instead of actual sports journalism.

Then they will wonder why they end up in bankruptcy. Maybe it has something to do with alienating half of your viewer base with politics they don't agree with.
What?

ESPN is owned by Disney which is probably the most non controversial company out there.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because we're close.

Like you said, our core is young and it's not like we'd be mortgaging the future by giving up a 3rd round pick for a proven playmaker at a premium position.

Those 90's squads were mostly young with a few important vets like a Sherman filling in important roles.

None of those guys were spring chickens, but they all gave us between 3 to 5 years of high level play that complimented the young base very well. I think Sherman fits that mold.
I agree.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They are going the wrong way. Gonna feature more one sided political bullshit instead of actual sports journalism.

Then they will wonder why they end up in bankruptcy. Maybe it has something to do with alienating half of your viewer base with politics they don't agree with.
Exactly. And not just politics, but the Hot Take culture in general.

Espn has been garbage for years, but it seems they are going down an even darker path.

Genghis Khan

I agree.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Because we're close.

I still wouldn't do it. He's getting old and he's WAY too expensive. We could get a cornerstone type of player in the 3rd this year. I think this draft is that deep. Frankly, I'd rather have somebody like Cordrea Tankersley, Sidney Jones, Rasul Douglas, or Akhello Witherspoon at CB. All of which could be there at our 3rd pick, and are a shit ton younger and cheaper. Or grab a CB earlier. Somebody like Fabian Moreau, Gareon Conley, Marlon Humphrey, Chidobe Awuzie, etc... Then use that 3rd on your safety. Or wide receiver. Or tight end. I have no doubt that somebody at that spot could be an early contributor if not outright starter for us. But not if we throw it at a short term, expensive rental.

And then there's the money. I could think of a bunch of ways I'd rather spend the money it would take to have Sherman here. Like extend Martin, for starters.

Genghis Khan

Because we're close.

Other than Haley those guys were roll player lunch pail types that didn't also monopolize a significant chunk of the cap.

That 92 team was literally a Charles Haley away.

I don't think we are a Richard Sherman away.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
JJT was one of the ones laid off.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I still wouldn't do it. He's getting old and he's WAY too expensive. We could get a cornerstone type of player in the 3rd this year. I think this draft is that deep. Frankly, I'd rather have somebody like Cordrea Tankersley, Sidney Jones, Rasul Douglas, or Akhello Witherspoon at CB. All of which could be there at our 3rd pick, and are a shit ton younger and cheaper. Or grab a CB earlier. Somebody like Fabian Moreau, Gareon Conley, Marlon Humphrey, Chidobe Awuzie, etc... Then use that 3rd on your safety. Or wide receiver. Or tight end. I have no doubt that somebody at that spot could be an early contributor if not outright starter for us. But not if we throw it at a short term, expensive rental.

And then there's the money. I could think of a bunch of ways I'd rather spend the money it would take to have Sherman here. Like extend Martin, for starters.
Fair points..... And the money part I do agree with.

But if the Cowboys did go for it I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't think your have anything to worry about, though.

The way Stephen is doing this these days, I doubt we'll be going after big FAs, especially those who require giving up assets for.

Cotton

Staff member
Jesus Christ, Andrew Brandt got the axe, too. WTF are they doing?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd be willing to part with a 3rd.

I'd be perfectly happy with 3 good seasons from him because now is the time to strike for us.
I was wondering if you'd still be willing to give up a 3rd for Richard Sherman now that we have the benefit of hindsight. We went a long way towards fixing our defense in the draft. Particularly in the secondary. We got Jourdan Lewis with that 3rd rounder.

Taking everything into consideration... What we now have, age, money, etc... Would you still do it?

Cotton

Staff member
Adam Caplan gone, too.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I was wondering if you'd still be willing to give up a 3rd for Richard Sherman now that we have the benefit of hindsight. We went a long way towards fixing our defense in the draft. Particularly in the secondary. We got Jourdan Lewis with that 3rd rounder.

Taking everything into consideration... What we now have, age, money, etc... Would you still do it?
Actually, yes.

Richard Sherman is a sure thing and one of the very best players at his position in the league. His experience, playmaking ability, and locker room presence are all things that aren't guaranteed to come from any of the guys we drafted.

Does that mean I want 3 Richard Sherman types over the three picks we started the draft with?

No.

I'm a big fan of all three players we took. That was probably the best and most sensible three rounds worth of picks we've had since 2005.

But if I could have Sherman or Lewis for the next three years? I take Sherman.

Now, if this was a team rebuilding Circa 2005, I'm taking Lewis all the way. But as I said before, this team is very very close and it's a great vet with experience and ability that has the potential to impact this team greatly.

But I'm very happy with the draft and I look forward to seeing what these guys can do. If we continue to conduct business the way we are right now, we are going to find ourselves amongst the NFL's best like the good old days.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Adding age and cost into the equation, there is no way I trade Jourdan Lewis for Richard Sherman. But, to each their own I guess.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Adding age and cost into the equation, there is no way I trade Jourdan Lewis for Richard Sherman. But, to each their own I guess.
Well, there is the cost thing.

That actually would be my one reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom