2017 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think Doctson is gonna be a good player. He's just been injured.
I thought he'd be very good, too. But if the guy always has something wrong with him, how do you ever find out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
RUMOR: Colin Kaepernick Turned Down One Contract To Play Up The Race Card For Money
by: Darrelle Lincoln On Tuesday, August 8, 2017

We’re less than a month away from the start of a brand new NFL season and Colin Kaepernick is still a free agent and it just may be his fault, according to The Daily Caller.

The former San Francisco 49ers QB is believed to be blackballed out of the league after he kneeled in protest of the National Anthem during every single game last year to bring attention to the crooked cops and overall treatment of minorities in this country.

Despite the lack of interest in him following his protest, there seems to be at least one team that offered him a contract, but he turned it down in order to play up the race card and receive more money.

“Despite the ongoing narrative that Kaepernick’s very public political views are preventing any NFL teams from offering him a roster spot, TheDC’s source claims Kaep himself has turned down at least one contract in the hopes of stirring up a media frenzy that eventually leads to a more lucrative deal for the 27-year-old vet.

Kaepernick allegedly doesn’t want to make “backup money” and specifically instructed his representative team not to sign one contract offered at the league’s minimum rate of $900,000 per year for a seventh-year player.

Shortly after the 2017 offseason began, Kaepernick parted ways with XAM Sports — the agency which had represented him since he entered the league in 2011 — and TheDC’s source added that Kaepernick’s girlfriend, outspoken radio host Nessa Diab, appears to be a driving force behind his negotiating tactics.

“Colin thinks he’s fighting a much higher battle than he is,” the source stated. “He views himself as a race messiah.”

The source also told the Daily Caller that the NFL has instructed teams and owners to keep quiet on Kaepernick’s contract negotiations.

Like I said, he could be a backup tomorrow, but refuses to accept anything but a starting role.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I said, he could be a backup tomorrow, but refuses to accept anything but a starting role.
Sounds like it is less about a starting role and more about starting money. Either way at this point I think teams are seriously questioning his love of the game and for good reason. At this point in Kaepernick's career playing football is nothing but a tool for his true passion which is race related.

Cotton

Staff member
Sounds like it is less about a starting role and more about starting money. Either way at this point I think teams are seriously questioning his love of the game and for good reason. At this point in Kaepernick's career playing football is nothing but a tool for his true passion which is race related.
With the starting money comes the starting role. I think his ego won't allow him to be a backup.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's 29, not 27, and will turn 30 in season.

That said, I don't know that we can trust the Daily Caller as a source.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
RUMOR: Colin Kaepernick Turned Down One Contract To Play Up The Race Card For Money
by: Darrelle Lincoln On Tuesday, August 8, 2017

We’re less than a month away from the start of a brand new NFL season and Colin Kaepernick is still a free agent and it just may be his fault, according to The Daily Caller.

The former San Francisco 49ers QB is believed to be blackballed out of the league after he kneeled in protest of the National Anthem during every single game last year to bring attention to the crooked cops and overall treatment of minorities in this country.

Despite the lack of interest in him following his protest, there seems to be at least one team that offered him a contract, but he turned it down in order to play up the race card and receive more money.

“Despite the ongoing narrative that Kaepernick’s very public political views are preventing any NFL teams from offering him a roster spot, TheDC’s source claims Kaep himself has turned down at least one contract in the hopes of stirring up a media frenzy that eventually leads to a more lucrative deal for the 27-year-old vet.

Kaepernick allegedly doesn’t want to make “backup money” and specifically instructed his representative team not to sign one contract offered at the league’s minimum rate of $900,000 per year for a seventh-year player.

Shortly after the 2017 offseason began, Kaepernick parted ways with XAM Sports — the agency which had represented him since he entered the league in 2011 — and TheDC’s source added that Kaepernick’s girlfriend, outspoken radio host Nessa Diab, appears to be a driving force behind his negotiating tactics.

“Colin thinks he’s fighting a much higher battle than he is,” the source stated. “He views himself as a race messiah.”

The source also told the Daily Caller that the NFL has instructed teams and owners to keep quiet on Kaepernick’s contract negotiations.

Time to join the WWE. He'd make a good Iron Sheik.

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Could be the case but why isn't that the standard across the board? For example, Cutler openly admitted that he was out of shape and that he had to be talked into returning to the game but for some reason the "does he still want to play" narrative is not applied to him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be the case but why isn't that the standard across the board? For example, Cutler openly admitted that he was out of shape and that he had to be talked into returning to the game but for some reason the "does he still want to play" narrative is not applied to him.
It should be. I don't think anyone else would have banged down the door for Cutler. The reason he got a call was because his former coach was in a bind. If that didn't happen Cutler isn't playing football this year. And Kaepernick may get a chance yet. That is if his wife and him can stop calling the Ravens owner racist for two seconds for example.

Picture his wife posted on her twitter.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Gotta admit I laughed when I saw that a few days ago. But I'm a sucker for memes.

1bigfan13

Staff member
For those who still like to watch Hard Knocks but don't have HBO, I noticed that when you log into NFL.com last night's episode is streaming. Looks like the full episode too.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That whole WR class is enough to scare a person away from drafting a first round WR.
Yep, sometimes you need something badly and it just isn't there.

Alexander Wright and David Lafluer are two examples of when we've done it ourselves. At least in Wright's case Jimmy waited until the second round (barely).

townsend

Banned
AUG. 9, 2017 AT 2:14 PM
Colin Kaepernick Is Not Supposed To Be Unemployed
By Kyle Wagner

It’s not about football.

As Colin Kaepernick’s job hunt has crept into training camp, the parameters of debate have shifted. Just a few months ago, the contention was over whether or not Kaepernick was good enough to play in the league. That no longer seems to be the case. Last week, reports circulated that Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh and general manager Ozzie Newsome were both interested in signing Kaepernick, but were met with resistance by owner Steve Bisciotti, who framed hesitance over signing Kaepernick as a PR concern.

“Your opinions matter to us,” Bisciotti said at a fan event, referring to fan opinion over Kaepernick. “We’re very sensitive to it, and we’re monitoring it, and we’re still, as Ozzie says, scrimmaging it, and we’re trying to figure out what’s the right tact. So pray for us.”

Kaepernick’s ability to play the position no longer seems to be in doubt. Players have spoken in support of Kaepernick, and most serious analysis reliant on game study arrives at the conclusion that Kaepernick is not just a competent quarterback, but is also better than he was when he led the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2013. Cian Fahey, who catalogues quarterback performance at Pre-Snap Reads, found Kaepernick to have outplayed Ravens starter Joe Flacco.

And yet Kaepernick doesn’t have a team. It’s obvious Kaepernick is being frozen out for his political opinions, but it’s less apparent how extraordinary it is that a player like him can’t find a team. Back in March, Neil Paine and I wrote about Kaepernick’s situation and noted that it was strange for even a halfway decent quarterback to remain unsigned so deep into free agency. Four months later, it’s no longer merely unusual — it’s practically unheard of.

Here are the free agent quarterbacks from the past five offseasons, charted by their Total Quarterback Rating in the previous season and how many days they remained in free agency before being signed by a team. (The size of the dots represent the number of pass attempts.)

No above-average quarterback has been unemployed nearly as long as Kaepernick this offseason. The most comparable scenario — Ryan Fitzpatrick’s contract showdown with the New York Jets last offseason — isn’t really comparable at all, since Fitzpatrick was the one exerting leverage over the team, not the other way around.

It’s easy to lose sight of the reality that good quarterbacks often never even reach free agency, let alone remain unsigned for so long. That’s especially the case for our discussion of Kaepernick, which has shifted from his merit as a player to concern-trolling and a consideration of business practicalities. So while Kaepernick is clearly an outlier on the chart above, the fact that he’s on it at all should be just as surprising.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
They look like fake chinese knock offs of NFL helmets.
Yeah something along those lines because there is no way Dallas would go away from silver helmets or Green Bay away from the yellow. They could also be part of those alternate uniforms teams wear now and then.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom