2017 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm guessing you're a very risk adverse person. But if the odds of having a career ending injury are less than 1 in 100, it's absolutely worth the risk. You'll pocket more than 72 mil next year in signing bonus from someone plus you get the 20 something mil guaranteed this season.

And if you hit that very unlikely snake eyes you still have 22 mil or whatever to dry your tears with.
I have a problem with players getting tons of money for not being able to play. It's one of the few areas someone can have their cake and eat it too. It's essentially the same as a golden parachute. Not fond of those either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the second year. Changes those odds. I think he is dumb for not taking the contract.
Not really. Just like flipping a coin six times and getting heads doesn't mean when you go to flip it a seventh time that your odds of getting heads are any worse than 50/50.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not really. Just like flipping a coin six times and getting heads doesn't mean when you go to flip it a seventh time that your odds of getting heads are any worse than 50/50.
Flipping a coin isn't the same as getting hit over and over again.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah. The one QB you can name in the last 10 years. Again, the odds are tiny. And even Bridgewater's career isn't done at this point.
50 million dollar risk. Yeah, I'd steer clear, even if the risk was 5%.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
50 million dollar risk. Yeah, I'd steer clear, even if the risk was 5%.
If the reward was say an extra 22 mil? You really are super risk adverse. I'm in favor of playing the odds. Even with risk involved.

Cotton

Staff member
If the reward was say an extra 22 mil? You really are super risk adverse. I'm in favor of playing the odds. Even with risk involved.
Well, most players hate the tag and love long term contracts, so apparently I'm not alone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, most players hate the tag and love long term contracts, so apparently I'm not alone.
Yeah because many are terrible with finances. And every position is different than QB. Positions like WR and RB have shelf lives a fraction of a QBs. Most players would prefer 72 mil today rather than waiting a year or two for that money and totalling 92 mil or more.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah because many are terrible with finances. And every position is different than QB. Positions like WR and RB have shelf lives a fraction of a QBs. Most players would prefer 72 mil today rather than waiting a year or two for that money and totalling 92 mil or more.
They all have agents representing them. This is a stupid argument. It's well known players and their agent hate the tag. Nothing really to argue there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They all have agents representing them. This is a stupid argument. It's well known players and their agent hate the tag. Nothing really to argue there.
Yeah and I'm not sure why you are turning the argument away from Cousins to other players and positions. You're getting off topic and trying to muddy the water. Not every franchise tag is the same. And if Cousins and his agent hated the tag so much they would have signed a long term deal. They didn't, because it's a good deal for their situation.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah and I'm not sure why you are turning the argument away from Cousins to other players and positions. You're getting off topic and trying to muddy the water. Not every franchise tag is the same. And if Cousins and his agent hated the tag so much they would have signed a long term deal. They didn't, because it's a good deal for their situation.
No, it's not. And I haven't moved any goalposts. You are just being lawyer guy arguing a dumb point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, it's not. And I haven't moved any goalposts. You are just being lawyer guy arguing a dumb point.
:lol that 94 mil is better than 72 mil if there is a 5% chance that you get only 22 mil? I'd say you're bad at math.

Cotton

Staff member
Lol that 94 mil is better than 72 mil if there is a 5% chance that you get only 22 mil? I'd say you're bad at math.
I'm sure you are great in a courtroom, but hopefully you never represent anyone in a contract negotiation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure you are great in a courtroom, but hopefully you never represent anyone in a contract negotiation.
My argument would get him a bigger long term deal. Yours wouldn't. So yeah, I'll take the bigger money if I'm hiring someone to negotiate a contract. My stance just isn't good for the team. Aka the Redskins in this case.

I could argue your side too though. All part of being a lawyer. I'm just not a very risk adverse person personally.

dallen

Senior Tech
I know some college players take out insurance policies against injury. Seems like a franchised player should be able to do the same thing.

Cotton

Staff member
I know some college players take out insurance policies against injury. Seems like a franchised player should be able to do the same thing.
I believe those policies only last until they sign a contract in the NFL. I don't believe they are insurable after that.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I believe those policies only last until they sign a contract in the NFL. I don't believe they are insurable after that.
You can insure anything, just the premiums probably don't make sense. College player plays less games, are younger, competition is lower and probably get just a 7 figure payment. If Cousins would take out insurance to cover the 72 million it would probably cost him half his franchise tag money (hyperbole).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can insure anything, just the premiums probably don't make sense. College player plays less games, are younger, competition is lower and probably get just a 7 figure payment. If Cousins would take out insurance to cover the 72 million it would probably cost him half his franchise tag money (hyperbole).
Yep, that's why insurance companies have actuaries. They will calculate the risks and charge accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom