2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
All this just because Jerry didn't want the Walmart in his view

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I still think Jerry wanted it oriented that way to maximize the view to the jillions of people on I-30 every day.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Not all of those windows are shining on the field. But even if they were... They figured out how to make the worlds biggest video screen. I'm sure they can figure out how to make a big curtain, too.
Yeah, maybe Jerry should have reined ole' Gene in on the 25 million tied up in shitty art and instead put some motorized blinds in.

:unsure

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They are just waiting for big buildings to be built around the stadium to block it.

Those don't take long or anything.
Why is it more of an issue than an outdoor stadium where the sun is directly in ones face.

Cotton

Staff member
Why is it more of an issue than an outdoor stadium where the sun is directly in ones face.
Most outdoor football fields run north/south so the sun is never an issue. Jerry turned his stadium east/west and left the big ass windows for the sun to shine through.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most outdoor football fields run north/south so the sun is never an issue. Jerry turned his stadium east/west and left the big ass windows for the sun to shine through.
It also has to do with how low light comes through on each endzone. You can see how there is a massive window really low which allows the sun to basically be right in a guys face.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It’s an issue some of the time depends what time of the day a game is played. The sun is ever on a true east west setting although the stadium shades some of the field. Even though the stadium shades part of the field.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's terrible.

Cotton

Staff member
It’s an issue some of the time depends what time of the day a game is played. The sun is ever on a true east west setting although the stadium shades some of the field. Even though the stadium shades part of the field.
It's not normally an issue when the field runs north/south. The sun will never be in any player's face.

data

Forbes #1
Stadiums usually have seating/structure 360 degrees around the field. A setting sun is typically blocked by the upper deck, so we're talking the sun is gone at a height of ~70 feet (I'm guessing). At Cowboys Stadium, each endzone has the massive glass doors that reach down to street level. Since the playing field is sub-street level by only one plaza of seats, the sun gets as low as ~30 feet (I'm guessing).

In addition to the stadium's orientation, I think this is what exacerbates it.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't believe that how it affects game play was really taken into consideration. To be fair, it can affect either team negatively depending on who wins the toss if they pay attention to such things. There probably aren't too many astronomers employed throughout the league but such things should be taken into consideration, especially since the dawn of mega stadiums. Shoot, I hate driving west around here when the sun is setting and I don't have to try and eyeball a football into my hands, just avoid running into another two ton object. I couldn't catch a leaf floating in the air with the sun in my eyes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
His interception plans were Rhonde Barber or Charles Tillman. A lot like Garrett's big play offense was Tony Romo.

junk

Not So New Member
I don't believe that how it affects game play was really taken into consideration. To be fair, it can affect either team negatively depending on who wins the toss if they pay attention to such things. There probably aren't too many astronomers employed throughout the league but such things should be taken into consideration, especially since the dawn of mega stadiums. Shoot, I hate driving west around here when the sun is setting and I don't have to try and eyeball a football into my hands, just avoid running into another two ton object. I couldn't catch a leaf floating in the air with the sun in my eyes.
I'm sure when they designed it they just assumed Jerry's ego would blot out the sun.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm sure when they designed it they just assumed Jerry's ego would blot out the sun.
Heh. Reminds me of a photoshop I did once when it was still being built. It had his head sticking out of the top and the construction crew was walking toward it with one of them saying "Yeha, it's still not big enough" or something like that.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
And then theres orienting the field in an east-west fashion instead of the traditional north-south. Pure genius.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't believe that how it affects game play was really taken into consideration.
Of course it wasn't.

1. Ego
2. Marketing
3. Football

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
It also has to do with how low light comes through on each endzone. You can see how there is a massive window really low which allows the sun to basically be right in a guys face.

Jerry could have been jamming to some...

when he changed the field orientation. :shrug

Seriously tho, every time they show images like that, this song pops into my head.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, I guess I won't be able to post Sturm articles anymore. It crashes the site when I attempt to for whatever reason. [MENTION=2]dallen[/MENTION] or [MENTION=22]Texas Ace[/MENTION], any ideas why it might be doing that? It does it when I click on "preview post". It's the only way I can post his stuff because of all of the formatting I have to do. When it goes down it tells me, "No data sent from dallascowboyscentral.com".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom