2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the kind of stab in the dark you take for a futures contract, not in the middle of the season.
Maybe, although I think the Chiefs know what they are doing with these guys. So he must have something going for him to stick on their practice squad.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe, although I think the Chiefs know what they are doing with these guys. So he must have something going for him to stick on their practice squad.
The Chiefs did not scout or develop him.

He was on the Texans practice squad also. Detroit too. After his illustrious CFL career.

Just because Irving worked out is no reason to think that has anything to do with this.

Sounds like he is some athletic type that teams are willing to roll the dice on.

Like I said, stab in the dark and now really was not the time to do it IMO.

Unless, of course, we think the "roster is set" at DT.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Chiefs did not scout or develop him.

He was on the Texans practice squad also. Detroit too. After his illustrious CFL career.

Just because Irving worked out is no reason to think that has anything to do with this.

Sounds like he is some athletic type that teams are willing to roll the dice on.

Like I said, stab in the dark and now really was not the time to do it IMO.

Unless, of course, we think the "roster is set" at DT.
Well he is the guy you'd prefer to have on your practice squad if he is 6'4" 320 pounds with athletic ability but raw.

However that wasn't possible since he was already on a practice squad. We now have a 6 week window with Zeke's roster spot to play with so we are taking a look. But I agree with you that just because Irving worked out off the Chiefs practice squad has nothing to do with this guy. Totally different players and vastly different routes to the NFL. Irving was a talent who got kicked off his college team. Had he not he would have been drafted and potentially as high as the fourth round area.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well he is the guy you'd prefer to have on your practice squad if he is 6'4" 320 pounds with athletic ability but raw.

However that wasn't possible since he was already on a practice squad. We now have a 6 week window with Zeke's roster spot to play with so we are taking a look. But I agree with you that just because Irving worked out off the Chiefs practice squad has nothing to do with this guy. Totally different players and vastly different routes to the NFL. Irving was a talent who got kicked off his college team. Had he not he would have been drafted and potentially as high as the fourth round area.
Worthless signing at this point in the season. He will chew up a few weeks on the 53, maybe longer since he came off a PS.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Worthless signing at this point in the season. He will chew up a few weeks on the 53, maybe longer since he came off a PS.
Eh, he only has to sit for 3 weeks. Then we can cut him if needed. Bailey will be back by then clearing a spot. Certainly not worth being bothered over.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eh, he only has to sit for 3 weeks. Then we can cut him if needed. Bailey will be back by then clearing a spot. Certainly not worth being bothered over.
That is fine and dandy if you don't have a rash of injuries.

If we do, then this guy sucking up a 53 spot is not ideal.

We have been pretty pretty pretty fortunate with injuries this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is fine and dandy if you don't have a rash of injuries.

If we do, then this guy sucking up a 53 spot is not ideal.

We have been pretty pretty pretty fortunate with injuries this year.
Yeah next week I may despise the move. Sucks you have to hold on to a guy for 3 weeks if you sign them off a practice squad.

p1_

DCC 4Life
they think they can strike gold again by pillaging KCs practice squad?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
An ex player named Anthony McClanahan apparently murdered his wife this week. There are headlines everywhere about "Ex Dallas Cowboy murders wife." I was straining for the life of me to remember who this Cowboy is. The guy is 46 years old.... his playing career couldn't have been more than 25 years ago.... so back to what, 1990? I am sitting there wracking my brain trying to remember, thinking of guys like Joe Fishback who may have been small timers and maybe I am just not recalling the name.

I even search "Anthony McClanahan PFR" hoping to see Pro Football Reference's stats on him, since they have fricking everything. Nope, not a single search result.

Then I get to the bottom of the news articles.... "McClanahan trained with the Cowboys in the 90's."

LOL. So this guy was a training camp invite who never even made a practice squad, I bet.

Front page: EX COWBOY MURDERS HIS WIFE, though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
An ex player named Anthony McClanahan apparently murdered his wife this week. There are headlines everywhere about "Ex Dallas Cowboy murders wife." I was straining for the life of me to remember who this Cowboy is. The guy is 46 years old.... his playing career couldn't have been more than 25 years ago.... so back to what, 1990? I am sitting there wracking my brain trying to remember, thinking of guys like Joe Fishback who may have been small timers and maybe I am just not recalling the name.

I even search "Anthony McClanahan PFR" hoping to see Pro Football Reference's stats on him, since they have fricking everything. Nope, not a single search result.

Then I get to the bottom of the news articles.... "McClanahan trained with the Cowboys in the 90's."

LOL. So this guy was a training camp invite who never even made a practice squad, I bet.

Front page: EX COWBOY MURDERS HIS WIFE, though.
My mother's maiden name is Clanahan, but we don't associate with those McClanahan's...as they're downright hooliganish.

Cotton

Staff member

:faint

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Wait.......what?!

This cannot mean what it sounds like.

There is no way that Jerry Jones is holding his coaches, including his boy Garrett, accountable for an awful coaching job.

This can't possibly be true, can it?

My guess is that this quote is not being read in its proper context. I can't see Jerry doing anything that reflects poorly on his puppet coach.

Cotton

Staff member
Wait.......what?!

This cannot mean what it sounds like.

There is no way that Jerry Jones is holding his coaches, including his boy Garrett, accountable for an awful coaching job.

This can't possibly be true, can it?

My guess is that this quote is not being read in its proper context. I can't see Jerry doing anything that reflects poorly on his puppet coach.
I had to read it 4 times to make sure I was reading it correctly.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wouldn't go there yet, but if he truly meant it as it sounds, then it's a good sign.

We need him to go apeshit like he did when Campo and his staff lost the 49ers game towards the end of 2002.

When we didn't go for it on 4th and 1 to try and seal it and subsequently allowed the 49ers to score a TD and win with only 12 seconds to play, Jerry Jones lost it. I still remember being furious over the coaching staff not going for it that day, but even worse was the explanation why -- "We didn't have a play for a 4th and 1 there".

:doh

After the game, I remember reading about how Jerry was furious going down the elevator to head towards the locker room and was overheard by DMN reporters saying "They F'd it up! The players deserved to win that game and the coaches F'd it up!".

That led to him reaching out to Parcells that very same night because Jerry had finally reached his limit.

Even Jerry could see what a terrible blunder that was. So I'm hoping he felt the same way after Garrett tried to defend their failure to help the LT spot because "When you have Tyron, you're not used to having to help that spot often".

So while it is refreshing to see him call out Garrett for once for his poor coaching, I wouldn't get too excited until a report comes out of him having another outburst like the one I described above.

But if there were ever a chance that could happen, maybe it could be now? He's pissed about Zeke, pissed with other owners, and he's in the middle of an ugly dispute with the league. Maybe another last minute loss due to a huge coaching blunder is all he would need to throw him over the edge?

One can only hope.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
condensed Jerry: "Don't blame me. I gave them all the tools they needed to succeed!" :picard

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Meh, he's said we got outcoached before.

Just means he'll look in the mirror... and then keep repeating the same mistake.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

If they were really serious about being competitive, they would move his ass to his college position to get us through until Tyron Smith is healthy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom