2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I hope they continue that forever. I want to take my son out to training camp when he gets older. But Frisco would be boring.... California/LA would offer more entertainment options after practice.
This sounds like you want to go clubbing with him. It's only 30 miles between Dallas and Frisco. Pretty sure you could do anything you would want in Dallas (other than Hollywood).

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I bet they go to Cali as long as possible. I think Jerry likes escaping the Texas heat for a few weeks.

Personally, I mean. Not for any football effect.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This sounds like you want to go clubbing with him. It's only 30 miles between Dallas and Frisco. Pretty sure you could do anything you would want in Dallas (other than Hollywood).
Uh.... beach? Disney Land? Nearby National Parks? California has tons of movie-related sightseeing too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No, but I hear it will be great. I just mean the surrounding city. Not that Dallas is boring... but LA would be better.
LA traffic sucks monkey nuts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zeke Insurance? Cowboys workout RBs Denard Robinson, Ronnie Hilman

By: Kevin Modisette | 24 hours ago

The Dallas Cowboys lost many veterans in free agency from their 2016 team, but for the most part they found replacements in free agency and the draft. The one player they never really replaced was third down running back Lance Dunbar. On Friday that may have changed, as Jane Slater reported the Cowboys worked out former Jaguars running back Denard Robinson.

Follow
Jane Slater ✔ @SlaterNFL
Cowboys worked out former Jacksonville RB Denard Robinson Thursday. Dallas still looking to fill void left by Lance Dunbar departure to LA
12:00 PM - 21 Jul 2017
213 213 Retweets 539 539 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
It turns out Robinson wasn’t the only running back brought in to see what they could offer. The club also worked out former Denver Broncos running back Ronnie Hillman.

Follow
Field Yates ✔ @FieldYates
Source: in addition to Denard Robinson, the Cowboys worked out RB Ronnie Hillman on Thursday.
1:37 PM - 21 Jul 2017
197 197 Retweets 392 392 likes

While these players seem to be in the mold of a change-of-pace back, the roster spot might be open in the early going of the season if star running back Ezekiel Elliott ends up being suspended for games at the beginning of the year. The load of the frontline back would certainly be filled by Darren McFadden or Alfred Morris, but there would be snaps available for a third back at that point based on how the Cowboys run their offense.

Dallas had previously spoken to the possibility of using fourth-round pick Ryan Switzer in the backfield in some packages as an option not to carry another back. If Elliott is suspended, that changes the roster dynamic.

In his four-year career Robinson has rushed for 1,058 rushing yards and five touchdowns with an average of four yards per carry. He fell out of the running back rotation in 2016, but playing in one of the league’s worst offenses for his entire career couldn’t have helped him any.

Robinson is affectionately nicknamed “Shoelace” for playing with his shoelaces untied since he was ten years old. He was a dual threat quarterback in college at Michigan before he was drafted in the fifth round as a running back/receiver.

Hillman spent four seasons in Denver before playing for both the Chargers and Minesota in 2016. The 5-foot-9 190 pound scatback is even more of a clone to Dunbar physically. Hillman has 1,976 career rushing yards and 74 career receptions.

While Dunbar wasn’t a huge part of the offense, he still had a role on the team that has yet to be filled this offseason. The only player the Cowboys have brought in who could possibly replace Dunbar is undrafted running back Jahad Thomas out of Temple, and he seems like a long shot to make the team at this point. The team did get another look at Thomas the last two days as rookies reported to team facilities ahead of the entire squad reporting to training camp.

It remains to be seen if Dallas will sign Robinson or Hillman, but it would be a welcome addition as someone who could possibly become the third down back for the team in 2017.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I didn't even realize Robinson was a FA. I thought he'd been pretty successful given he didn't even play the position in college.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't even realize Robinson was a FA. I thought he'd been pretty successful given he didn't even play the position in college.
Yeah I thought he looked solid as a RB for them. For some reason the Jags wanted bad to replace him though. TJ Yeldon and Chris Ivory were brought in to replace him. Then they brought in Fournette this offseason. Robinson barely touched the ball for them last year. But back in 2014 I thought Robinson had found a pretty legit role in the NFL. Put together some 100+ yard games that season.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
NFLN is airing that divisional playoff game from last season. Again.

Why do they insist on tormenting me? I know I don't have to watch but it's like a train wreck, I just can't look away.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yeah I thought he looked solid as a RB for them. For some reason the Jags wanted bad to replace him though. TJ Yeldon and Chris Ivory were brought in to replace him. Then they brought in Fournette this offseason. Robinson barely touched the ball for them last year. But back in 2014 I thought Robinson had found a pretty legit role in the NFL. Put together some 100+ yard games that season.
He's shifty and fast as hell. Tormented the hell out of ND fans when he was in college.

Why the Jags let him go, who knows? I seem to remember reading that he was a bit of a diva but they're pretty stacked at RB too and he did convert to RB from QB so it's not his natural position. Dunno.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I still think we should make a run at Sammy Watkins who did not have his 5th year option picked up by Buffalo.

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Since 2000, sure. For a long time there post Switzer, we had a good record.

Our problems have really jumped up in the last five or six years or so.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Mike Francesa just said that Dak was the worst 3rd and long QB in the league last year. can anyone confirm?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Mike Francesa just said that Dak was the worst 3rd and long QB in the league last year. can anyone confirm?
But he also thinks Jerryworld doesn't have a roof, so...

Cotton

Staff member
I highly doubt that since we were top 10 in overall 3rd down conversions last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seriously doubt it. We were tenth in the NFL in third down conversion rate. I guess it all depends on what he considers third and "long." I feel like on third and 15 for example our coaches had a pretty damn conservative game plan. I mean we usually ran a shit RB screen at that point last year. So then you have to ask yourself how you rate "success" or failure on third and long situations. Are you counting a QB throwing a pick as just as equally bad as a QB throwing for 10 yards on a third and 15?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Listening to Alfred Morris is on the radio right now... Man. That guy is like the nicest, most down-to-earth, most likable dude ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom