2017 Draft Chatter Thread...

dallen

Senior Tech
My own interest in this year's draft is to the point that I just had to look up whether it started tonight or tomorrow night

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Eh. Carson Wentz wrote something like that last year and it apparently was ghost written.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm watching ESPN and I'm legitimately wondering how Bill Polian was ever a NFL GM. I just saw him claim during a mock draft that the Cowboys should have drafted Jordan Willis over Taco Charlton at 28. And before those who against Charletn cheer, he also basically threw Charles Harris in the dumpster as well because he is "too slow."

He basically said that Charlton can't even play in Dallas's defense because he isn't fast enough. Which is patently retarded since Dallas loves their DT/DE combo guys. But beyond that the guy is clueless, he literally just looks at workout numbers to judge these guys.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm watching ESPN and I'm legitimately wondering how Bill Polian was ever a NFL GM. I just saw him claim during a mock draft that the Cowboys should have drafted Jordan Willis over Taco Charleton at 28. And before those who against Charleton cheer, he also basically threw Charles Harris in the dumpster as well because he is "too slow."

He basically said that Charleton can't even play in Dallas's defense because he isn't fast enough. Which is patently retarded since Dallas loves their DT/DE combo guys. But beyond that the guy is clueless, he literally just looks at workout numbers to judge these guys.
Charleton would fit right in with what we already have along the DL but I'd rather we find a speedier guy off the edge. Preferably one not addicted to weed.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Charlton doesn't bring your ideal speed/twitch off the edge but he is more athletic than guys like Irving and Crawford despite his 40 time.

He has a pretty good spin move, something I doubt we'll ever see out of Irving or Crawford, he stood up at times at Michigan, and on one play I saw him track down Curtis Samuel (4.31 40) on a jet sweep.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God damn it, his name is spelt Charlton! You will not besmirch the Taco!

Cotton

Staff member
Charlton doesn't bring your ideal speed/twitch off the edge but he is more athletic than guys like Irving and Crawford despite his 40 time.

He has a pretty good spin move, something I doubt we'll ever see out of Irving or Crawford, he stood up at times at Michigan, and on one play I saw him track down Curtis Samuel (4.31 40) on a jet sweep.
Irving showed a decent spin move a few times last year. Just saying.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I don't think anyone who watched Taco could think he is comparable to guys like Crawford and Irving. The body types and athletic ability just are not the same.

People look at height, weight and forty times and make these comparisons. The problem is you can have two 6'4" 280 guys whose bodys are completely different.

Charlton is a long and lean body type. I've said it before, his body does not look thick like a Tyron Crawford. Charlton moves and changes directions extremely well on the football field. This is a guy who took over games in college as a DE.

The nice thing about Taco is that he is a true 3 down DE. He isn't someone that you have to pull off the field in certain situations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Irving showed a decent spin move a few times last year. Just saying.
He was also the closest thing we had to a dominant DE last year. He did absolutely dominate at times. Wish we would have had two of him last season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I don't think anyone who watched Taco could think he is comparable to guys like Crawford and Irving. The body types and athletic ability just are not the same.

People look at height, weight and forty times and make these comparisons. The problem is you can have two 6'4" 280 guys whose bodys are completely different.

Charlton is a long and lean body type. I've said it before, his body does not look thick like a Tyron Crawford. Charlton moves and changes directions extremely well on the football field. This is a guy who took over games in college as a DE.

The nice thing about Taco is that he is a true 3 down DE. He isn't someone that you have to pull off the field in certain situations.
Charlton is not the answer to our pass rush woes; but he is a much needed DL upgrade for us and an instant starter. Like you said, he stays on the field.

He's not my favorite pick... I'd like him much better after a trade down.... but I'd applaud it as long as we don't do something stupid like pass on Barnett or Harris for him. He plays LE, and you get a rotation going at RE between Lawrence and whoever else. Hopefully next year Gregory is in the mix too.

Cotton

Staff member
Okay, boys, take it to the weekend chatter thread. This thread is all used and worn out.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm watching ESPN and I'm legitimately wondering how Bill Polian was ever a NFL GM. I just saw him claim during a mock draft that the Cowboys should have drafted Jordan Willis over Taco Charlton at 28. And before those who against Charletn cheer, he also basically threw Charles Harris in the dumpster as well because he is "too slow."

He basically said that Charlton can't even play in Dallas's defense because he isn't fast enough. Which is patently retarded since Dallas loves their DT/DE combo guys. But beyond that the guy is clueless, he literally just looks at workout numbers to judge these guys.
Polian built 2 very talented rosters with the Bills and Colts.

He has more than enough skins on the wall.

I might not agree with him but he is far from clueless.

Top Bottom