2017 Draft Chatter Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I really like Adoree Jackson. But would be underwhelmed if we took him in the first. If we have to go CB in the first, I'd rather have Conley (I know), King, or Humphrey.

I still have my fingers crossed that we leave the first with Barnett, Harris, McKinley, Watt, or Charlton. Or a trade down.
I would be kinda really surprised if we don't go pass rusher with our first pick... whether trade down or not.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Depending on how the draft falls, I'd seriously consider taking this guy in the 3rd.
1) Harris/McKinley
2) Marcus Williams
3) Sidney Jones
4) Gareon Conley

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah he may be able to PUP and play come week six but he isn't going to be 100% probably until year two. I appreciate that he thinks he will be cleared by September but that is a best case scenario and when he does it's going to take some time for him to get back to playing at his old level. It's not like a sprain that heals and you're back to full speed.
A third round pick is fucking worth it for a guy who many think projected to be a Marcus Peters and a top 15 pick prior to his injury.

I'm sorry some people would be upset by not having a guy ready to play Day 1 but the draft is about the future and rookies are not usually Day 1 impact players anyway. I would take Jaylon Smith a hundred times over in the second round if he comes back as a top flight player and with Jones there isn't even any long term nerve questions like with Smith. I would even talk myself into liking Jones in the second. In the third... back flips.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A third round pick is fucking worth it for a guy who many think projected to be a Marcus Peters and a top 15 pick prior to his injury.

I'm sorry some people would be upset by not having a guy ready to play Day 1 but the draft is about the future and rookies are not usually Day 1 impact players anyway. I would take Jaylon Smith a hundred times over in the second round if he comes back as a top flight player and with Jones there isn't even any long term nerve questions like with Smith. I would even talk myself into liking Jones in the second. In the third... back flips.
Yeah I think Sidney Jones goes in the second round. But I'd have a hard time passing in the third. And I agree, you draft a guy for his career and not to be some sort of a big time contributor as a rookie. If you hit on a draft pick and get a stud, you're going to give him a second contract anyway.

midswat

... soon
This is the least I've ever been interested in the NFL draft since 1997.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This is the least I've ever been interested in the NFL draft since 1997.
Same here and dont even plan on watching. #fakefan

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Really? This is a great draft and I'm even more excited because we did so well last year.
Yeah. Last year I only watched the Elliot pick and then did other things. I dont have any interest in sitting through it like I used to.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. Last year I only watched the Elliot pick and then did other things. I dont have any interest in sitting through it like I used to.
Oddly enough the format that I hate is actually going to benefit me this year. I have to travel to Iowa on Saturday for my nephews first birthday, so most of that I'll have to just listen to on XM Radio (My girlfriend my want to kill me). But with the first 3 rounds being Thursday and Friday I'll still be able to watch all of that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah I think Sidney Jones goes in the second round. But I'd have a hard time passing in the third. And I agree, you draft a guy for his career and not to be some sort of a big time contributor as a rookie. If you hit on a draft pick and get a stud, you're going to give him a second contract anyway.
The problem is that we pick so late in each round we likely would have to draft him a round early - or trade up/down - if we want him.

midswat

... soon
I have to travel to Iowa on Saturday for my nephews first birthday
Cherish those nephews.

The draft just hasn't been the same since they moved it to prime time. I'll always miss the Saturday man holiday I always had with friends, just grilling, playing cards, and drinking for 9 hours breaking down players we sometimes never even heard about. Now I'm older, moved to a new city, its on a week night, and Garrett/Jerry have robbed me of my love for this team. So its just kind of meh.

I will say though my love for the draft has kind of transferred into following college recruiting. Any chance we can change this place to Tennessee Volunteers Central?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Cherish those nephews.

The draft just hasn't been the same since they moved it to prime time. I'll always miss the Saturday man holiday I always had with friends, just grilling, playing cards, and drinking for 9 hours breaking down players we sometimes never even heard about. Now I'm older, moved to a new city, its on a week night, and Garrett/Jerry have robbed me of my love for this team. So its just kind of meh.

I will say though my love for the draft has kind of transferred into following college recruiting. Any chance we can change this place to Tennessee Volunteers Central?
The Cowboys have a brighter future than that middling program.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I will watch all of Thursday and Friday. It will be hit and miss on Saturday. I love the draft. No way am I missing it.

Top Bottom