2017 Cowboys Free Agency Thread...

p1_

DCC 4Life
The team came out unprepared to play it's as simple as that, and I put that on the coaching staff primarily.

There's a reason that after about 20 minutes it was 21-3, and then over the next 40 it was 28-13. The team wasn't ready to play (you can call it a lack of intensity or whatever you want), they had some stupid miscues early both offensively and defensively, Rodgers made some unbelievable throws that no defense could stop and that was enough to end up in a huge hole.
Pretty much. There was not much room for error, and we fucked up just enough to lose.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Pretty much. There was not much room for error, and we fucked up just enough to lose.
Yep especially at the playoff level. That's the time you go all out from the first whistle. Pulling in your horns will get you beat every time.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yep especially at the playoff level. That's the time you go all out from the first whistle. Pulling in your horns will get you beat every time.
Garrett needs to do a much better job in the postseason. He blew it for this young team, but he better not do it again next year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Twitter mailbag: Brandon Carr should be free-agency priority
1:00 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas – The Dallas Cowboys’ Twitter mailbag is ready. In it we discuss:

** Which free agents to keep

** Mark Sanchez

** The return game

Away we go:

@toddarcher: This is a good question, and I think the composition of the roster will play a factor into the team’s eventual answer. Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne are two cornerbacks set to hit the market. Same with safeties Barry Church and J.J. Wilcox, wide receivers Terrance Williams and Brice Butler and running backs Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar. To me, Carr, Church and McFadden should be the priorities. Where’s Ronald Leary? I just don’t see a way the Cowboys keep him. I see him getting a deal that will average around $8 million a year from some team on the open market. Considering the money that will be committed to Zack Martin, I can’t see the Cowboys having four offensive linemen averaging at least $8 million a year. Carr’s availability makes him a better option than Claiborne, who is younger but hurt too often. Church is a valuable part of the defense for his playmaking and leadership. McFadden provides some every-down cover if something were to happen to Ezekiel Elliott. I’d put Williams in the Leary category of him getting a deal from somebody else that the Cowboys can’t match. Butler could be back on a short-term deal. But I wouldn’t put either in the top three.

@toddarcher: Anything that makes the No. 1 quarterback comfortable should be taken into consideration. Mark Sanchez became a confidante to Dak Prescott in 2016. That’s a plus for Sanchez, but I don’t think it’s the sole reason he would come back. Ability has to be factored in. If you look at the quarterbacks expected to be available, the salary-cap implications of a Tony Romo release or trade and the team’s backup QB history, I think Sanchez makes sense. But I like the hashtag you added at the end. I believe the team should re-sign Kellen Moore too. Neither guy should be expensive, at least not what the Cowboys faced last year when they were looking at Chase Daniel or Colt McCoy. Keeping Sanchez and Moore would be solid. And if you’re wondering, I don’t think the Cowboys would select a quarterback in the middle rounds of the draft. Look at what they did when Romo became the starter in 2006.

@toddarcher: I’ll take the second part of the question first: that’s just making sure players are more disciplined. There’s nothing more you can do, in my opinion. It’s not a scheme thing. It’s a discipline thing. As to the actual returner, I’ll upset some purists with this answer, but I think the return game is not as important as it used to be. The rules have mitigated kickoff returns. The quality of punting has mitigated much of the punt return game. I’m not one who believes special teams are a third of the game. Sorry, shoot me. It’s important, but the Cowboys put enough money in special teams with what they pay Dan Bailey, Jeff Heath, James Hanna and Kyle Wilber. As for the return game, if a guy just doesn’t screw up, that’s good enough. But here’s one thing I would do: give Dez Bryant a chance every now and then. I wouldn’t have him do it full-time, but in certain situations he could flip field position.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
Desean Jackson. Let Mr. Forgettable go. I wouldn't overpay but maybe he'd come in lower with a championship dream.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Can't see DeSean Jackson as a personality fit here, he's kinda a poison player.

We've signed our share of divas like Terrell Owens when people said we were crazy, but Owens actually did want to win and work harder than everyone.

Jackson seems to me like he fits into more of a Greg Hardy locker room personality (minus the criminal conduct obviously).

Cotton

Staff member
ESPN is reporting that the Cowboys are in play for Adrian Peterson. lol wut

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
ESPN is reporting that the Cowboys are in play for Adrian Peterson. lol wut
You have love how our name always gets floated with every player. As though it drives up the price or something.

Cotton

Staff member
You have love how our name always gets floated with every player. As though it drives up the price or something.
There is no way in hell we are even remotely interested in giving anything up for AP.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
There is no way in hell we are even remotely interested in giving anything up for AP.
:jerry

Im sure he would be interested. Just depends on if Stephen can talk him out of it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I put the odds at 0. AP will want to start and there are teams that will want to start him. He'd be Elliott insurance in Dallas.

Cotton

Staff member
The Dallas Cowboys must sign this free agent
Jimmy Long
Feb 6, 2017 at 12:09p ET

With a massive need for a pass rush, the Dallas Cowboys must make signing this defensive end a priority in the upcoming offseason.

The Super Bowl has officially come and gone, and the New England Patriots are kings of the NFL again. Unfortunately, the Dallas Cowboys watched from their couches, getting ready to make another run at the elusive Lombardi Trophy in the fall. With free agency looming, their is one player the ‘Boys absolutely must target.

Longtime Cowboy DeMarcus Ware will be a free agent come March. Since pass rusher is one of the most pressing needs for this team, this seems like a match made in heaven.

On top of that, Ware has expressed interest in returning to Dallas.

Number 94 was one of my favorite players to watch growing up. Seeing him terrorize opposing quarterbacks was one of the best parts of any Cowboys game. Seeing him in the blue and silver again would be a dream come true.

MUST READ: Dallas Cowboys 2017 Draft – Five Cornerback Prospects

It probably comes down to money, as Ware was released in 2014 because of his price tag. I don’t believe the front office would be willing to pay a premium for his services, especially considering he’ll turn 35 before next season.

In his career with Dallas, he amassed 116 sacks, setting a franchise record in the process. In his prime, he notched a 19.5 sack season, and a 20.0 sack season. Obviously he won’t be nearing that production in the twilight of his career.

What Ware could provide is a nice rotational piece, and veteran leadership. The Cowboys would certainly love the latter, as they need to develop some young defensive lineman to be the future of this team’s front seven.

Would Ware consider returning to Dallas on a team friendly deal for one more run?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wouldn't mind it so long as they only view him as a rotational piece and depth.

This should not be viewed in any way shape or form as one of the solutions at DE.

Cotton

Staff member
So, if we cut Tyrone Crawdford post June 1, we only have $3.1 mill in dead money and realize a cap savings of $7.25 mill. Do you do it? Keep in mind that $7.25 mill won't help us for this FA period, because the savings will come to the team until after June 1.

Cotton

Staff member
I wouldn't mind it so long as they only view him as a rotational piece and depth.

This should not be viewed in any way shape or form as one of the solutions at DE.
This is how I feel about it, as well. Should change nothing draft-wise.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The Dallas Cowboys must sign this free agent
Jimmy Long
Feb 6, 2017 at 12:09p ET

With a massive need for a pass rush, the Dallas Cowboys must make signing this defensive end a priority in the upcoming offseason.

The Super Bowl has officially come and gone, and the New England Patriots are kings of the NFL again. Unfortunately, the Dallas Cowboys watched from their couches, getting ready to make another run at the elusive Lombardi Trophy in the fall. With free agency looming, their is one player the ‘Boys absolutely must target.

Longtime Cowboy DeMarcus Ware will be a free agent come March. Since pass rusher is one of the most pressing needs for this team, this seems like a match made in heaven.

On top of that, Ware has expressed interest in returning to Dallas.

Number 94 was one of my favorite players to watch growing up. Seeing him terrorize opposing quarterbacks was one of the best parts of any Cowboys game. Seeing him in the blue and silver again would be a dream come true.

MUST READ: Dallas Cowboys 2017 Draft – Five Cornerback Prospects

It probably comes down to money, as Ware was released in 2014 because of his price tag. I don’t believe the front office would be willing to pay a premium for his services, especially considering he’ll turn 35 before next season.

In his career with Dallas, he amassed 116 sacks, setting a franchise record in the process. In his prime, he notched a 19.5 sack season, and a 20.0 sack season. Obviously he won’t be nearing that production in the twilight of his career.

What Ware could provide is a nice rotational piece, and veteran leadership. The Cowboys would certainly love the latter, as they need to develop some young defensive lineman to be the future of this team’s front seven.

Would Ware consider returning to Dallas on a team friendly deal for one more run?
Fuck that noise. Ware's time has come and gone. We don't need another situational guy coming in off a back injury. Time to find healthy DE's who can produce and get to the QB.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is how I feel about it, as well. Should change nothing draft-wise.
Yup, or in FA for that matter if they have a guy targeted.

They should be looking for 2 DE starters in this offseason and come away with at least 1, and this is regardless of what happens with Ware.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So, if we cut Tyrone Crawdford post June 1, we only have $3.1 mill in dead money and realize a cap savings of $7.25 mill. Do you do it? Keep in mind that $7.25 mill won't help us for this FA period, because the savings will come to the team until after June 1.
I'd cut him and move on because I don't think he's ever gonna be anything more than he is right now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If Ware came in on a team friendly contract and with the clear understanding he'd be used in a complimentary role I'd strongly consider it. I think he could still provide something with 15-20 snaps a game.

townsend

Banned
In a second. Zack Martin could get that thrown on to his contract.

Top Bottom