2017 Cowboys Free Agency Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Sweet. We also signed another tall WR that can't play.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought your stupid homer phase ended after Rodgers pwnt us.

Guess not.
It's always been there. It's just normally suppressed by that motherfucker, Jerry Jones. It has just been dying to get out, and this last year, Dak, and Zeke have set it FREE!!!!! :towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sweet. We also signed another tall WR that can't play.
Isn't he 5'11"?

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's a result of the conservative coaching mode in the first half I alluded to earlier.
Exactly. On the initial drive, we steam roll with ease down to the Packers 40 yard line.

*1st and 10: Witten gets juked by Hyde, and down goes Dak for a loss.

*2nd and 16: Next, Beasley comes within 2 yards of a 1st down at the Packer 30.

*On 3 and 2, Linehan gets pass happy where Zeke has made a living at converting 3rd downs all season long.

Result: Incomplet to Dez. Drive over, bring on field goal unit.

I don't call that a stuff. I credit Mr Linehan with that 4 point swing.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Exactly. On the initial drive, we steam roll with ease down to the Packers 40 yard line.

*On 3 and 2, Linehan gets pass happy where Zeke has made a living at converting 3rd downs all season long.

Exactly. EXACTLY.

Some guys laugh at the notion that the offense had anything to do with the loss, but it did. We made a lot of mistakes and poor decisions that left a lot of points on the board.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Exactly. EXACTLY.

Some guys laugh at the notion that the offense had anything to do with the loss, but it did. We made a lot of mistakes and poor decisions that left a lot of points on the board.
I mentioned this before, but the 1st half reminded me a lot of the end of the Seattle/NE Super Bowl. They should have run Beastmode at goal line but chose to be cute for whatever reason and Malcolm Butler happened.

Why did they not feed Hungry Zeke early against GB? Boggles the frickin mind.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Yup.

Then you have drive two that ends with a horrible BS penalty.

The drive at the end of the half should've gone for 6 but only went for 3 because we got to the 15 then proceeded to call 3 straight passes from the shotgun.

And then you have a drive that was already in scoring range when the idiotic staff called a screen pass on 2nd and 1.

Like you, I don't see the offense getting stuffed by Green Bay. What I see in those 4 drives is an offense that came to play but was hindered by their own stupid coaching staff.

Green Bay didn't stop a damn thing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
In our second offensive series, we are down 7-3.

We march yet again, with efficiency, down to the GB 37 yard line.

*2nd down and 5 at the 37: Pass complete to Wiliams for a nice gain (22yds) down to the GB 15 yard line.

Oh wait! Butler gets the dumbass call of the year. It moves the ball from the 37 all the way back to the Cowboys' 48 yard line. That's a 37 yard swing from where we should be lined up (LOS) at the GB 15.

*2nd and 20: Buter cant catch a well thrown ball. Hyde breaks up the play.

*3rd and 20: Another failed pass attempt to Butler.

Drive stalls. Cowboys forced to punt.

Again, I don't see a stuff here. I see a very bad call by the refs and poor receiver play by Butler.

Oh, and then there's the fact that the defense has no answers for Rodgers for each of the Pack's first three possessions.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not taking a side here, but what's really amazing is that after all that, we had a legitimate chance of going into the half down 21-17.

Instead, it was 21-13. Big swing. And you can blame that on getting pass happy by throwing three straight incompletes to Witten from the 15 yard line too. Should have ran that ball at least on first or second down. Could have changed the 2nd and/or 3rd down options following.

You could argue that changes the whole complexion of the end of the game.

Green Bay probably plays the 2nd half mostly the same, because they still score to start the third, to go up 28-17 instead of 28-13.

But then our next two TDs give us a 31-28 lead instead of a 28-28 tie.

Then GB ties it with the first of the Crosby FGs at 31.

Then, however, we drive for the winning FG, which we don't kick with 35 seconds left, cause we aren't trying to save time for a winning TD, but instead we run out the clock and kick the winning FG with very little time left, and have made the Packers burn their last timeouts.

In this scenario, the Jeff Heath sack of Rodgers essentially ends the game cause they don't have a timeout to call and re-group for the miracle pass to set up the game TYING (in this scenario) FG.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So Dallas stopped themselves? No they allowed a team inferior in talent but hungrier than they were to gain the upper hand.

Someone pointed out that Witten whiffed a block he normally makes a 1000 times.

And 3rd and 2 is not always a good time to run, especially when you have the entire field open to you.

The playoffs are when you use your passing game to set up the run, and then bring balance. Starting with just 3 points against a very average defense against a team that deferred to you in your own house daring you to score isn't getting it done.

We just didn't execute.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

You might not run on 3rd and 2, but you really shouldn't be attempting a lower percentage 20 yard pass either.

And yes, all those things are also known as stopping yourself.

Genghis Khan

So Dallas stopped themselves? No they allowed a team inferior in talent but hungrier than they were to gain the upper hand.

Someone pointed out that Witten whiffed a block he normally makes a 1000 times.

And 3rd and 2 is not always a good time to run, especially when you have the entire field open to you.

The playoffs are when you use your passing game to set up the run, and then bring balance. Starting with just 3 points against a very average defense against a team that deferred to you in your own house daring you to score isn't getting it done.

We just didn't execute.
Also, how can you start your post saying we didn't stop ourselves, then end it by saying we stopped ourselves (i.e. didn't execute)?

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
:towel:towel:towel

#BuiltByUCF

In all seriousness, I said from day 1 they should bring him in. He is a return man phenom. I can't count how many game changing returns he had in college.
I'm all in favor of giving him a chance. He certainly can't be any worse than that ass clown Whitehead.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Also, how can you start your post saying we didn't stop ourselves, then end it by saying we stopped ourselves (i.e. didn't execute)?
If they were playing against empty air they would have completed that 20 yard pass, right? So of course the defense stopped them.

The things Dallas did on cruise control during the season were much harder in the playoffs.

Dallas planned and executed at a level far below what they needed to succeed against the Packers. Playoff defenses contest every play with greater intensity, and Dallas just wasn't read for it.

Poorly prepared teams always complain about bad calls and missed opportunities.

Dallas needs some of whatever it was Pete Carroll brought back with him from college.

Genghis Khan

Jesus Christ you're still saying in so many words we stopped ourselves.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The team came out unprepared to play it's as simple as that, and I put that on the coaching staff primarily.

There's a reason that after about 20 minutes it was 21-3, and then over the next 40 it was 28-13. The team wasn't ready to play (you can call it a lack of intensity or whatever you want), they had some stupid miscues early both offensively and defensively, Rodgers made some unbelievable throws that no defense could stop and that was enough to end up in a huge hole.

Top Bottom