2017 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yea I mean I don't think just the draft is going to transform our 2017 pass rush either, that's why I'd take a long look at a guy like Melvin Ingram if we want to take advantage of this window where Prescott is on a rookie deal.

To me it's more about consistently accumulating talent and eventually you'll look up in 2019 or 2020 and we'll have a legitimate pass rush to go along with a 25-26 year old QB, elite 24 year old RB and several elite OL who are still in their prime at about 29-30. You have to start somewhere and even a few good but not elite, 8 sack types like Bruce Irvin or Everson Griffen could be the difference between a Super Bowl appearance or not in the next 3-5 years.

I know what you're saying about what is more or less a market inefficiency where certain positions are over drafted and you can find better talent at more overlooked positions late in the 1st, but that's on a case by case basis. The strength of this year's DE class at the top makes it a bit different because I think a guy like Harris could be a top 20 or so talent, but he could easily be pushed down to the end of the 1st/early 2nd.
Harris is a guy who seems to have the actual talent and could fall but he also is a character risk, with that being said I would probably take him if no LB or safety is comparable.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Harris is a guy who seems to have the actual talent and could fall but he also is a character risk, with that being said I would probably take him if no LB or safety is comparable.
Do you mean Williams?

I don't think Harris is a character risk from anything I've read.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If he doesn't test well at the Combine I wouldn't be surprised if he was there at 28, his lack of explosiveness, athleticism, and change of direction is evident when you watch him in college, although that wouldn't deter me from taking him.
See this sounds like Carver or Ekuban even Ealy sounded like a better prospect.

But like you said there are not a lot of guys who would be rated higher, just not a great DE prospect draft after Allen and Garrett.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

But like you said there are not a lot of guys who would be rated higher, just not a great DE prospect draft after Allen and Garrett.
Well there are a lot of positives about Barnett that I left out, I'm just saying he could easily fall to 28.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Dude broke Reggie White's sack record at Tennesse. That reminds you of Ekuban? Who was second fiddle to Greg Ellis in college?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dude broke Reggie White's sack record at Tennesse. That reminds you of Ekuban? Who was second fiddle to Greg Ellis in college?
:picard

Not as players but as prospects who seem to be rated all over the 1st round and have physical limitations, Ekuban was called stiff coming out and it proved to be true.

And I guess you missed the part where I said Barnett is the clear 3rd guy but if he drops to 28 in this draft there must be some real doubt about him unless he has some off field issues I do not know about.

Breaking Whites sack record is not some eye popping accomplishment it was only 32 sacks.

Shante Carver had 41 sacks so that should tell you something.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:picard

Not as players but as prospects who seem to be rated all over the 1st round and have physical limitations, Ekuban was called stiff coming out and it proved to be true.

And I guess you missed the part where I said Barnett is the clear 3rd guy but if he drops to 28 in this draft there must be some real doubt about him unless he has some off field issues I do not know about.
Just because he falls to 28 doesn't make him a bad player. There are only so many teams that will take a DE in the first round of the draft. It's just a fact of life. Some of these guys don't fit every type of defense. And only so many defenses are going to take pass rushers in the first round. Which means if Harris for example climbs, it usually means someone else is falling to make room.

And by the way those 32 sacks to break Reggie White's sack record were in 3 total years of college. Which makes it a little more impressive. You don't often see freshman step on the field and dominate right away.

And Carver had a great college football career. His NFL career sucked in part because he got in off the field trouble and had injury problems. Frankly back in 95, I wasn't paying that close of attention to the draft. I was 10 years old. I'm just saying Barnett looks like a great prospect. And if he is available at 28 we should be thrilled.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To not be a quick twitch he sure seem to beat guys off the snap, if he makes it to 28 its probably a no brainer, looks and sounds like Suggs coming out.

My only issue with the plays shown here is that most have him never getting of a block and that seems to be a weakness.
Some of them he is past the tackle before he even gets a hand on him. If you get a chance go back and watch their bowl game with Nebraska. It's fun watching a top D-lineman just completely and totally take over a game and he did exactly that.

Taco Charleton had some pretty great games like that as well.

And I've always like Harris, just seems like a twitchy RE type.

Those are my 3 at 28 if possible.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
No Dallas compensatory picks this year. Cincy, Cleveland, Denver and KC each have 4.

Also of note, this is the first year comp picks can be traded.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

I could see this happening.

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Best thing that Dunbar did for us. Net us a 6th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom