2017 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Erik Ezukanma signed with Tech today. Big signing for us.

Cotton

Staff member
12 commits signed early. I like it.
Some decent names in the group, too. KeSean Carter is a WR we signed, as well. Our WR corps should be pretty solid.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Some decent names in the group, too. KeSean Carter is a WR we signed, as well. Our WR corps should be pretty solid.
I'm just hoping we can hold onto Brumfield...kid is an animal.

midswat

... soon

Damn.... UGA gonna be good for a while

midswat

... soon
Have I ever told you guys about the time I turned down a football scholarship to the Naval Academy?

Cotton

Staff member
Have I ever told you guys about the time I turned down a football scholarship to the Naval Academy?
I will need you to expound upon this. Names, dates, and definitely what position you played are imperative.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Somehow Maryland has a top 20 class despite this disaster season, which follows a top 20 class from last season also.

If we can keep one of our top 2 QB's healthy we'll surprise some people in the next year or two.

midswat

... soon
Somehow Maryland has a top 20 class despite this disaster season, which follows a top 20 class from last season also.

If we can keep one of our top 2 QB's healthy we'll surprise some people in the next year or two.
I've always understood Maryland to be one of the most talent rich areas in the country. Almost right up there with GA, FL, and TX. True or false?

D

Deuce

I've always understood Maryland to be one of the most talent rich areas in the country. Almost right up there with GA, FL, and TX. True or false?
False.

In basketball recruiting, it's up there though.

If I had to rank them after those 3, it would be California, Ohio and Oklahoma.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
False.

In basketball recruiting, it's up there though.

If I had to rank them after those 3, it would be California, Ohio and Oklahoma.
False.

Maryland has some good talent. California and Ohio is a yes.

Oklahoma not so much.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
True although it's definitely not at the level of those other states, which is understandable because of how small the actual state is. As a state Maryland is probably somewhere towards the back end of the top 10.

Really the talent is mostly concentrated in and around the DC/Baltimore corridor so obviously that's a pretty small area. If you include Virginia down to the Tidewater area, and really if you combine Virginia and Maryland you get an area roughly the size of Georgia, I'd put the talent up there with anywhere else in the country.

midswat

... soon
True although it's definitely not at the level of those other states, which is understandable because of how small the actual state is. As a state Maryland is probably somewhere towards the back end of the top 10.

Really the talent is mostly concentrated in and around the DC/Baltimore corridor so obviously that's a pretty small area. If you include Virginia down to the Tidewater area, and really if you combine Virginia and Maryland you get an area roughly the size of Georgia, I'd put the talent up there with anywhere else in the country.
Yeah when I lived in the Tidewater area, there was a sports talk radio show that covered VT quite a bit and I remembered them talking about how much talent the Maryland area had, considering how small it is. Tidewater area is rich in talent as well. A lot of players from that area end up either at VT or a handful of SEC schools.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Maybe although I don't know how much stock I'd put in highschool rankings of players. They just aren't very accurate.

midswat

... soon
Maybe although I don't know how much stock I'd put in highschool rankings of players. They just aren't very accurate.
So it's just a coincidence that the best teams in the nation (Alabama, Georgia, OSU, Clemson, etc) usually have the best recruiting classes year in and year out?

D

Deuce

False.

Maryland has some good talent. California and Ohio is a yes.

Oklahoma not so much.
Maryland is ok, much better than the rest of the NE for sure.

I had had always heard Oklahoma had solid HS ball, just overshadowed since it’s next to a TX. Also, somehow we forgot to mention Louisiana. They are probably top 5.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I had had always heard Oklahoma had solid HS ball, just overshadowed since it’s next to a TX. Also, somehow we forgot to mention Louisiana. They are probably top 5.
No doubt about Louisiana. A good portion of the southeast for sure. Mississippi too but the kids are dumb. :duno

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Oklahoma is about average to slightly above average when it comes to HS football talent. We're certainly not a recruiting hotbed. Seems like we usually only produce about three or four 4-star recruits per year from Oklahoma, whereas states like Florida and Texas produce dozens of 4 and 5-star recruits each year.

That's why well over 50% of our roster are kids from Texas and California. Oklahoma HS football just doesn't produce the talent in bulk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it's just a coincidence that the best teams in the nation (Alabama, Georgia, OSU, Clemson, etc) usually have the best recruiting classes year in and year out?
If you can pick basically any high school player you want your team is going to be better. But it has little to do with a recruiting class "ranking." It's why teams like Texas who also often times pull stellar recruiting classes still suck for talent.

It's always fun to go back and look at past recruiting rankings and see how accurate they were. Maryland's best recruit for example this year is the number 6 OT in the country according to ESPN (You may prefer rivals but ESPN is easier for me to look up). But go back and look at past top OT's and how many of the top OT's actually become college elite OT's. 2013 for example. Laremy Tunsil was the top rated high school OT, obviously he turned into a first round pick so that was pretty spot on. But the guys after that are a bunch of not very good. Dorian Johnson, Austin Golson, Kent Perkins and Hunter Bivin round out the top five. Some of them may have made the NFL but they are a dime a dozen type O-lineman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom