2017-2018 season:

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's not playing cb 75% of the time. He's not lining up against WR 1s and 2s down after down.

From what I've seen of him, he's good in coverage against TEs and RBs, not so much against good WRs.
You have not been watching very closely.

The simple fact that he is playing anybody man to man 75% of the time makes him more of a CB than a safety and he has been playing a lot of the slot recievers especially when Scandrick and Claiborne were hurt.

He is seldom asked to play deep and when does he has not been a factor.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Major disappointment. I've shrugged off the comments that we could've had Landon Collins since it's hindsight and Jones looked like a solid player. But now there's no doubt Collins is vastly superior than Jones.
They are asked to do totally different things, its apple to oranges comparison.

Collins could come close to playing man as well as Jones.

Not saying Collins is not a good player but it seems people are basing a lot on his int's this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are asked to do totally different things, its apple to oranges comparison.

Collins could come close to playing man as well as Jones.

Not saying Collins is not a good player but it seems people are basing a lot on his int's this year.
Clearly Jones is not playing a traditional safety role. That's why you see so much Heath, Wilcox and Church on the field. Because those guys are really playing the traditional safety role.

Collins on the other hand is playing a traditional safety role. I'd love to have both guys on our team.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Clearly Jones is not playing a traditional safety role. That's why you see so much Heath, Wilcox and Church on the field. Because those guys are really playing the traditional safety role.

Collins on the other hand is playing a traditional safety role. I'd love to have both guys on our team.
Jones is just a normal Jerry "wink-wink" type pick. Enamored with a few athletic numbers, no real production in college and even worse, no production at a small time football program.

He is fine as a role player, as long as you already have a stud back there in the secondary...which we don't.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I just hope they don't try to get too cute in the draft with our picks in rounds 1-5.

Do that and I'll be happy.
Not so fast... No happiness for you.

We don't have a 5th round pick. We traded it away for Matt Cassel.

You're welcome.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Byron Jones is a pretty good FS. You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

Get a legit pass rush.
The pass rush has to improve. But it still won't make Jones out to be the superstar some think he is. There was no excuse to allow Cook to roam free like that in zone coverage.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The pass rush has to improve. But it still won't make Jones out to be the superstar some think he is. There was no excuse to allow Cook to roam free like that in zone coverage.
He needs to work on his zone coverage. He's much better in man.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jones is a good, not great player, and I highly doubt he ever will be great. Just doesn't have the instincts or the ball skills to be an elite player, but he's still a capable, versatile starting DB, and you can't complain about that with the 29th pick or whatever it was when we took him.

He is definitely a CB/S hybrid though, there's a reason Wilcox or Heath were usually the deep safety in nickel/dime, and he probably plays nearly half of his snaps as a pure CB.

kidd

DCC 4Life
So is it still a possibility that Collins can move out to RT and Leary start at guard moving Free to the bench as depth?

We could possibly pick up another guard in the later rounds to develop.

I really would like to see us use our early picks to improve the d-line and pass rush. Hopefully, Jaylon Smith will be able he o step in and make some noise.

We'll also need at least one WR to replace Butler.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So is it still a possibility that Collins can move out to RT and Leary start at guard moving Free to the bench as depth?

We could possibly pick up another guard in the later rounds to develop.

I really would like to see us use our early picks to improve the d-line and pass rush. Hopefully, Jaylon Smith will be able he o step in and make some noise.

We'll also need at least one WR to replace Butler.
Two WRs. Unless we overpay Williams.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Two WRs. Unless we overpay Williams.
Williams is gone too?

I don't think he's as terrible as others here do but no way do I over pay for him. We can't get all these players in the draft so who's available in free agency and do we have money to spend?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Williams is gone too?

I don't think he's as terrible as others here do but no way do I over pay for him. We can't get all these players in the draft so who's available in free agency and do we have money to spend?
Williams had his worst season statistic wise. He should be cheap to resign.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd give Williams somewhere around 3.5-4.5 a year over 4 years to re-sign, can't imagine him getting much more than that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd give Williams somewhere around 3.5-4.5 a year over 4 years to re-sign, can't imagine him getting much more than that.
I was thinking a two year deal. 8 mil type contract. The guy had 500 some yards this season. I like him but I'm not sure why he would attract a lot in free agency.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Sounds reasonable enough. Any free agents that we can get to improve?

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I just hope they don't try to get too cute in the draft with our picks in rounds 1-5.

No guys with off the field baggage.

No guys with lingering medical issues.

No guys who had marginal college careers and who were marginal against sub par competition.

No guys who only have one year of experience playing a position. Or in JJ Wilcox's case, only one year of experience playing defense.

Focus on guys who look the part and actually produced on the field. Focus on guys who you think will be able to contribute immediately. Not 2 years from now after a medical red shirt.

Do that and I'll be happy.
I can pretty much agree with that.

I keep going back to the 2015 draft and think of how much better it could have been had we not drafted Jones and passed on Gregory.

My only hope is that Jaylon pans out. If he does then that goes a long way at fixing our D and provides us some much needed identity that we haven't had in a very long time.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Major disappointment. I've shrugged off the comments that we could've had Landon Collins since it's hindsight and Jones looked like a solid player. But now there's no doubt Collins is vastly superior than Jones.
The frightening thing is that it's clear that it's by a large margin also. Yesterday, in the most important game of the season, he looked like he was suffering from 'deer in headlights' syndrome and wasn't even close to covering Cook the entire game.

Top Bottom