2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good luck with that. NFL guards will have a field day with Collins.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Collins/Tapper in the 3rd/4th is better than anything we've done in those rounds in a while. Usually we are without a 3rd or 4th due to a trade up or we just burn them on schlubs like Skyler Green, Isaiah Stanback, David Arkin, AOA, etc. With these two guys I think we're almost guaranteed to get at least solid rotational linemen with the potential for more, I don't see either of them straight up busting like so many of our 4th rounders over the last decade or so.

I do not think either should start the season even with Lawrence/Gregory out but they should be decent rotational guys almost from the jump. We should sign Jason Jones for cheap and then go with a heavy rotation of him/both Crawfords/Thornton/Irving/Mayowa/Tapper/Collins, maybe Ryan Russell can give us something too. Not ideal but it can get us through 4 games with Elliott running it up teams asses.

As for the rest of the draft, love Elliott obviously, Smith will be boom or bust and probably define the draft and taking Prescott at 135 or whatever is totally fine. Even if he just ends up a decent backup that's perfectly acceptable out of late 4th/early 5th type of pick, we've taken a worse prospect in McGee higher than we took Prescott who at least has been productive in the SEC and has some traits that are workable.

Doubt any of the guys in the 6th turn into anything, maybe Gathers can be an intriguing jumbo run-blocking TE.

All in all, gotta feel good about this draft for the mere fact that we didn't take Ramsey at 4 or burn a 2nd/3rd on a meh QB prospect. Right now I'll give the draft a solid B just because I love Elliott and feel good about Collins/Tapper, if Smith works out it becomes an A+, if he doesn't it's probably a C- type of draft. This is all assuming Elliott is an immediate ROY/top 5 type of RB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Collins/Tapper in the 3rd/4th is better than anything we've done in those rounds in a while. Usually we are without a 3rd or 4th due to a trade up or we just burn them on schlubs like Skyler Green, Isaiah Stanback, David Arkin, AOA, etc. With these two guys I think we're almost guaranteed to get at least solid rotational linemen with the potential for more, I don't see either of them straight up busting like so many of our 4th rounders over the last decade or so.

I do not think either should start the season even with Lawrence/Gregory out but they should be decent rotational guys almost from the jump. We should sign Jason Jones for cheap and then go with a heavy rotation of him/both Crawfords/Thornton/Irving/Mayowa/Tapper/Collins, maybe Ryan Russell can give us something too. Not ideal but it can get us through 4 games with Elliott running it up teams asses.

As for the rest of the draft, love Elliott obviously, Smith will be boom or bust and probably define the draft and taking Prescott at 135 or whatever is totally fine. Even if he just ends up a decent backup that's perfectly acceptable out of late 4th/early 5th type of pick, we've taken a worse prospect in McGee higher than we took Prescott who at least has been productive in the SEC and has some traits that are workable.

Doubt any of the guys in the 6th turn into anything, maybe Gathers can be an intriguing jumbo run-blocking TE.

All in all, gotta feel good about this draft for the mere fact that we didn't take Ramsey at 4 or burn a 2nd/3rd on a meh QB prospect. Right now I'll give the draft a solid B just because I love Elliott and feel good about Collins/Tapper, if Smith works out it becomes an A+, if he doesn't it's probably a C- type of draft. This is all assuming Elliott is an immediate ROY/top 5 type of RB.
In it's totality it is not the kind of dumpster fire we have seen in the past.

We took some good players.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Looks like the only player we drafted from the Senior Bowl was Dak, and he was on the team we didn't coach. Funny how so much hoopla surrounds that game and we ended up with 1 player. We ended up with the same number from the NCAA basketball tourney.

Good luck with that. NFL guards will have a field day with Collins.
If I remember correctly, you weren't on board with Tyrone Crawford either as was most of us. He turned out pretty good. Also Hitchens comes to mind as someone who was better than we thought. Let's just hope Collins is also better than we think. Hey JJ Watt is better in the NFL than he was in college so there's that!:skurred

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I remember correctly, you weren't on board with Tyrone Crawford either as was most of us. He turned out pretty good. Also Hitchens comes to mind as someone who was better than we thought. Let's just hope Collins is also better than we think. Hey JJ Watt is better in the NFL than he was in college so there's that!:skurred
You sharp-shootin' me, boy?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
My Draft:

1. Ezekiel Elliot RB
2. A’Shawn Robinson DT
3. Shilique Calhoun DE
4. Eric Murray CB
4b. Ronald Blair DE
6a. Brandon Allen QB
6b. Aaron Burbridge WR
6c. Jalen Mills S
6d. Charone Peake WR

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones did not get much sleep after the first round of the draft.

He couldn't get Paxton Lynch out of his head.

The Cowboys attempted to trade back into the first round to select Lynch, working through a number of trades only to see their final attempt with Seattle fall through when the Seahawks agreed to a deal with the Denver Broncos.

Missing out on QB Paxton Lynch was still eating at Jerry Jones a day later. Joe Robbins/Getty Images
"I got to bed about 3 thinking about the Lynch thing, got up at 6 and before the morning was over had talked to six people about how I messed it up," Jones said Saturday. "I was still mad about it the next morning."

The Cowboys offered Seattle their second- and third-round picks, but the Seahawks took the Broncos' first- and third-round selections.

Jones' regret was not sweetening the offer.

"I really have added it up, and you all don't need philosophy here but ... when I look back on my life I've overpaid for my big successes every time, and when I've tried to get a bargain or get a little cheaper or get a better deal on it, I ended up usually either getting it and not happy I got it or missing [it]," Jones said.

"I probably should have overpaid here."

But as Jones looks back on not making the deal, he sees what the Cowboys gained in taking linebacker Jaylon Smith and defensive tackle Maliek Collins with the second- and third-rounders the Seahawks rejected -- especially Smith, who will not play in 2016 as he recovers from a significant knee injury.

"I'm ready to take the pain for the gain on Smith because the upside is so big," Jones said.

The Cowboys attempted to move to the very top of the fourth round Saturday to take Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook, but couldn't. The Oakland Raiders moved up in a deal with the Cleveland Browns and took Cook.

"The fact that we didn't get him there, don't interpret that as much with as hard as we worked on Lynch," Jones said. "Those were different intensities, different stakes."

Jones's third swing at a quarterback came through when the Cowboys selected Dak Prescott with their second fourth-round pick. He said the grade on Cook was not much different than the grade on Prescott.

"I liked what we got," Jones said.

I can't remember a draft where we had a chance to draft a franchise QB who would fall into our laps and never picked them unlike this year where every time we got close another team would trade up and swoop the up right in front of us. It was so disappointing. It felt like our team was getting picked on. Damn you Jerry Jones for pissing everyone in the league off!!!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think taking Prescott will keep us from taking a guy in the 1st that we fall in love with in the next few years either. I can't argue with the strategy they took towards QB's in this draft, they aggressively tried to move up for Lynch and then after they barely missed out on that they clearly didn't overvalue guys like Prescott.

Unless Prescott looks absolutely amazing over the next year or two I can't imagine what amounts to a 5th round QB will keep them from going after a QB they value as highly as they did Lynch.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Looks like the only player we drafted from the Senior Bowl was Dak, and he was on the team we didn't coach. Funny how so much hoopla surrounds that game and we ended up with 1 player. We ended up with the same number from the NCAA basketball tourney.
Well, to be fair we wanted Wentz but the Eagles kind of fucked that up.

But totally see what you're saying.

I just hope that Dak doesn't completely blow like I fully expect him to, just hope that he doesn't prevent us from seriously addressing it in the years to come.

So close to having Lynch. So close.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4750850/jerry-jones-lost-sleep-over-missing-out-on-paxton-lynch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom