2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Trading multiple picks for lynch would have been bad. This draft would have essentially been just Elliott. I'm elated that it worked out the way it did.

Like the old adage says, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Can anyone tell me anything about that safety Frazier we drafted? I've never heard of him.

Cotton

Staff member
And, did we really make it through this draft without making a single trade?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Trading multiple picks for lynch would have been bad. This draft would have essentially been just Elliott. I'm elated that it worked out the way it did.

Like the old adage says, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.
Bingo. There will be another draft next year. If we're desperate enough we can overpay then, though we'll likely have a high pick if we are indeed desperate.

If we're not desperate, then we take the same approach as this season.

Sooner or later, we'll have our QB. The days of shortcut, fucked up ex baseball players and has-beens like Leaf are done, I think.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys Draft Grade

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

B Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys needed pass-rush help and a backup quarterback, but they waited until Day 3 to get that done. Elliott, however, is the favorite for offensive rookie of the year, and if Smith and Gathers develop, it will be a home-run draft.

1 (4) Ezekiel Elliott, rb, Ohio State.

2 (34) Jaylon Smith, lb, Notre Dame.

3 (67) Maliek Collins, dt, Nebraska.

4 (101) Charles Tapper, de, Oklahoma.

4 (135) Dak Prescott, qb, Mississippi State.

6 (189) Anthony Brown, cb, Purdue.

6 (212) Kavon Frazier, s, Central Michigan.

6 (216) Darius Jackson, rb, Eastern Michigan.

6 (217) Rico Gathers, te, Baylor.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Charles Tapper ran 4.59. That's stupid fast for somebody his size.

For comparison, Dak Prescott ran a 4.79. Kavon Frazier ran a 4.58

A running QB and a safety.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dallas could only trade a 6th from this draft to move up for Cook.

As for Seattle, it's clear they view Dallas as a potential rival. On top of the 5th year option (a dumb reason compared with double digit draft position in the 3rd) it was best to get Lynch out of the conference and especially away from Dallas.
I think this may have more to do with it than people imagine. I'm almost certain that everybody in the NFC has an eye on us putting one of the best RB prospects in years behind a line with potentially 2-3 future HOF'ers on it, all in their early to mid 20's. I highly doubt Seattle wants to give us a lottery ticket to a potential franchise QB on top of that when the difference between our offer and Denver's was more or less negligible.

We will get our QB at some point here, I'm encouraged by the thought process that seemingly went behind what we did at QB. We had clear interest in Goff/Wentz but weren't willing to pay a bounty to move up, that's fair, then we almost moved up for the last blue chip prospect in Lynch and when we couldn't we sat back, didn't reach on a marginal prospect like Hackenberg, Cook or Prescott and ended up taking Prescott where a developmental/future backup like him deserves to be taken.

We'll see what the next few years hold but I have no doubt that when the time comes we will at least be in the mix to take or move up for a QB in the 1st, assuming Prescott doesn't magically turn into a great QB over the next 2-3 years somehow.

Cotton

Staff member
Jerry Jones still regrets not being more aggressive for Lynch deal

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 1, 2016, 11:25 AM EDT

The Cowboys finally drafted a quarterback yesterday in Dak Prescott, but owner Jerry Jones was still kicking himself for the deal he didn’t make two days prior.

Via Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jones spent part of his post-draft wrap-up lamenting the fact he wasn’t able to seal the deal for quarterback Paxton Lynch during the first round. The Cowboys were trying to make the same trade with Seattle which Denver made to get to the 26th pick for, but didn’t get it done and had to watch the Memphis quarterback head to Colorado.

“When I look back on my life, I overpaid for my big successes every time,” Jones said. “And when I tried to get a bargain, get it a little cheaper or get a better deal on it, I ended up usually either getting it and not happy I got it. Or missing it.

“And I probably should have overpaid here.”

Jones said he wasn’t able to sleep Thursday night because of it, and over coffee, realized he wished he had pulled the trigger.

“I was still mad about it,” Jones said. “Actually thought we had it done.”

He missed another opportunity when the Raiders traded a spot in front of him in the fourth to take Connor Cook, but that one didn’t create the same kind of non-buyer’s remorse.

So as excited as he might be about Prescott, Lynch will remain the one who got away.

No, Jerry, for once you actually did the right thing.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, not to mention he just amplifies our biggest strength and perhaps creates a dominant unit that can carry an average defensive unit. Adding Ramsey would have improved the defense but it wouldn't have taken it from average to dominant, I'd rather have a dominant running game/offense and average defense than a good offense and above average defense.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
In a couple years, Easton Stick out the the quarterback factory NDSU should be ready.

Cotton

Staff member
Pete Prisco's grade:

Dallas Cowboys

Best pick: I love third-round pick Maliek Collins, a defensive tackle from Nebraska. He is a penetrating tackle who will help the inside pass rush. He will end up being a steal.

Questionable move: Taking injured linebacker Jaylon Smith in the second round was a head shaker. He has nerve damage in his foot coming off a major knee injury. He probably won't play a down this year.

Third-day gem: Love the pick of quarterback Dak Prescott in the fourth round. They can develop him behind Tony Romo as a potential successor. Solid decision.

Analysis: I don't like taking backs high, so I ding the Cowboys for taking Ezekiel Elliott in the fourth spot, even if he's a good player. They also get two players -- Smith in the second and Prescott in the fourth -- who won't help right away. That's troubling. I did like some of their other picks, but not a great draft for me.

Grade: C-

Cotton

Staff member
Chad Reuter's grades:

Dallas Cowboys

Draft picks: Ezekiel Elliott (No. 4 overall), Jaylon Smith (No. 34 overall), Maliek Collins (No. 67 overall), Charles Tapper (No. 101), Dak Prescott (No. 135), Anthony Brown (No. 189), Kavon Frazier (No. 212), Darius Jackson (No. 216), Rico Gathers (No. 217)

Day 1 grade: B+
Day 2 grade: B+
Day 3 grade: B+
Overall grade: B+

The skinny: I love Ezekiel Elliott as a player. There's always concern when a running back is taken early in the draft, however, because of attrition at the position.

Choosing Smith in the early second round was a gamble worth taking. Collins was pushed up boards more than his play indicated, but he does have the size and athleticism to be a factor inside. Tapper will give the team the power rush they're looking for, although some Cowboys fans wondered if it should have been addressed earlier in the draft. Prescott was a solid pick as a backup, and maybe more if he continues to improve his accuracy. Dallas then found very interesting players from the MAC in Frazier and Jackson, as well as an intriguing prospect in Gathers.

Cotton

Staff member
SI.com's grade:

Dallas Cowboys: A-

First pick: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State (No. 4)

Other notable picks: Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame (34); Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska (67); Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State (135)

If Smith is able to return from the knee issues that now hamper his NFL future, this is a lead-pipe A+. He was the best player in this class, and the Cowboys took a manageable risk in spending their second-round pick on him. There’s no question that Elliott will help the Dallas offense return to form. Fourth overall is a high pick for a back, but Elliott does it all and does it well. Collins is a bit of a project, but he’s a good athlete who will vie for a rotational slot early on. Oklahoma defensive end Charles Tapper is a more developed player who will be an asset against the run, with pass rush as a bonus attribute. Prescott is a big, mobile quarterback who has shown a lot of mental development over time, and he’s in the perfect situation to continue to grow—as long as Tony Romo stays healthy.​ —DF​

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2636931-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-the-super-duper-drafty-edition

6. Scout: Best value pick in draft was Charles Tapper

The Cowboys selected Oklahoma's Charles Tapper in the fourth round. One NFC scout told me he believes that pick was one of the best in the draft.

Why? He's 6'3" and 271 pounds and runs a 4.59 40-yard dash.

What scared some teams, this scout explained, was that Tapper has the sickle cell trait. It's considered relatively minor, presenting a problem mostly in conditions such as high altitudes. The Cowboys don't play in Denver this season, and the NFL hasn't placed a franchise on Mount Kilimanjaro, so he'll be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom