2013 College Football chatter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a bit of a stretch I think boozer. He pretty much lit up the stat sheet as always.
Lighting up the stat sheet does not a great QB make. Hell, we should know that as Dallas fans.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ruled down by contact.

These announcers suck ass.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm impressed with how fundamentally well coached the knights are.

D

Deuce

I'm ready to give the "Next 30 minutes for the next 30 years of your lives" speech from Varsity Blues.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
How ya feeling there deuce? You alright?

I'd be shocked if Baylor didn't pull it together.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
CHiPs :towel

Estrada sighting :towel

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Lost to Marshall? Lulz

How bout the school that you are a t-shirt fan of? You got some of their shirts at Walmart, right? How'd they do?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Little known fact, both Bryce Petty and Tajh Boyd were Tennessee commitments for Phil Fulmer, but when Lane Kiffin was hired he didn't want either and let them go.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9938531/baylor-quarterback-bryce-petty-moment-four-years-making

...After camping in Knoxville the summer after his junior year, Petty received an offer and committed to the Vols on June 18, 2008. Longtime coach Philip Fulmer, who a year earlier had signed an extension through 2012, won Petty over.

"I thought I was sitting pretty," Petty said of his recruitment.

He stopped taking phone calls from other schools. He was going to be a Vol -- no doubt about it -- even after Tennessee landed another QB pledge from a kid named Tajh Boyd that November.

Three days after Boyd committed, Fulmer announced his resignation. Petty's parents both remember Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton calling to assure them Petty's scholarship offer would be honored. But the truth was, everything had changed.

Lane Kiffin was hired on Dec. 1. Two days later, Boyd decommitted after being told he didn't fit Kiffin's plans. He signed with Clemson. Petty, his parents and Midlothian coach Robby Clark were nervous about what might come next.

Ten days passed. Kiffin never called, never introduced himself. He never reached out. The silence was deafening.

"Shoot, I would've loved a call from him," Petty said. "Normally, a guy you want to call first as a new head coach is your quarterback."

Petty's recruiter, then-tight ends coach Jason Michael, was retained by Kiffin and did make multiple trips to Midlothian. He didn't exactly know what to tell the family or the coach.

"I talked to the guy," Bryce's father, Todd Petty, recalled, "and he said, 'Man, Kiffin watched the tape and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders and didn't really know what to think.'"

Petty's parents say Petty dreamed of being the Vols' next Peyton Manning. That dream now dashed, he reopened his recruitment on Dec. 10, just eight weeks before signing day.

"It was just kind of ... flaky," Petty said. "For everything I committed to Fulmer for, everything [Kiffin] did was the exact opposite. He wanted his little California quarterback, his Matt Barkley."

Philip Montgomery just wanted a quarterback. Baylor's offensive coordinator re-entered the picture and eventually convinced Petty to visit Waco. Petty fell for Briles, a players' coach who reminded him of Fulmer. He gave his pledge one day before signing day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom