1st Round Pick: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Cause everything I've read/heard was just that he was projected in the 2nd.
He was 14th on their board, so to them, he was a steal. They did seem to have a bad case of one-itis, though. At that point in the draft, there's no player you absolutely have to have. Would be interesting to know the specifics of the trades they turned down.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
He was 14th on their board, so to them, he was a steal. They did seem to have a bad case of one-itis, though. At that point in the draft, there's no player you absolutely have to have. Would be interesting to know the specifics of the trades they turned down.
I get them had him there, unless Jerry is lying....

But it's also possible that they only had 11 or 12 1st round grades, so he would still fit that 2nd round mold. Just curious what it is about him that didn't move him all the way up given his skillset.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I get them had him there, unless Jerry is lying....

But it's also possible that they only had 11 or 12 1st round grades, so he would still fit that 2nd round mold. Just curious what it is about him that didn't move him all the way up given his skillset.
I'm guessing BPA at a position of need. Would love to know where they had Avila and Kincaid/Mayer on their board.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
so they'll run outside, like Tampa did repeatedly in Game 1

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
so they'll run outside, like Tampa did repeatedly in Game 1
That's when Micah, Clark and the safeties get to eat.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jordan Davis wasn't nearly the scary force last year that he was supposed to be. He's a good player, but what he was hyped to be.
True but there is always improvement to be had and a lot of his issues was stamina which can be fixed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jordan Davis wasn't nearly the scary force last year that he was supposed to be. He's a good player, but not what he was hyped to be.
Yeah, it's tough to come in in that role and succeed year one.

I think that's part of why Jerry's impatient ass never drafts the position in the 1st round.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Davis missed a lot of time with a high ankle sprain, so the jury is still out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not as intimidating as Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis.
Our duo is better against the run than theirs, although obviously Carter is much better as a pass rusher than anybody we have on the interior.

But Mazi is more or less as good as Davis against the run and Carter won't be as good as Hankins during his rookie year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Our duo is better against the run than theirs, although obviously Carter is much better as a pass rusher than anybody we have on the interior.

But Mazi is more or less as good as Davis against the run and Carter won't be as good as Hankins during his rookie year.
Mazi's 16 QB hits and 22 pressures tell me there's real potential here

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Game Breakdown

Summary: I focused mostly on the pass rush reps because we already more or less know what he brings in the run game. He was 1st-team All-Big 10, played the vast majority of their snaps at NT and they were top 10 in the country in both YPC and YPG, he has some pad level issues to clean up here and there against the run but overall he's going to step in and be very good day 1.

How he develops as a pass rusher is what will make the difference between being a Pro Bowler/All Pro vs. simply a good starter, so that's where I wanted to focus. Overall, he has no idea what he's doing in terms of pass rush plan, counters or anything else, he's basically just trying to push guys off him and run at the QB, but the tools are clear as day.

The game where I really took note of him as a potential 1st rounder was Ohio St., which I watched live during the season, and my main takeaway was that he had rare lateral movement and closing burst once he has a runway for a 320+ lb. man. Going back and watching it again only confirmed that, and if you want to really get hyped on him, that's the clip to watch below.

Aside from that I was really impressed with his power against Avila. I watched a good amount of Avila since I'm of course also interested in him as a prospect and I didn't see anybody forklift him the way Mazi did at times.

Highlights (all times are based on the YouTube video, not the game clock):
  • 2:14 - holds POA vs. Wypler, easily sheds, gets in on tackle for 1-2 yard gain
  • 2:45 - not a whole lot to see here schematically/formationally but this sort of foot speed is very rare for someone 320+
  • 3:35 - shows off a bit of a push+pull that gives him a clean runway
  • 3:57 - murders the RG on 3rd and 5 and closes ridiculously fast for his size once he has a runway
  • 4:30 - kills Wypler with a crude hump move and forces the ball out a beat fast
  • 4:17 - beats Wypler clean with a push+pull, gets caught up with a teammate but I think Wypler may have also tugged at him
  • 4:41 - gets to Paris Johnson's edge, shows surprising bend and then fights through the RB for another quick pressure, very rare to see someone his size able to get to the upfield shoulder of an LT and start to flatten out
  • 8:06 - really good loop/twist on a stunt, again works through the edge of Paris Johnson and forces the QB off the spot
Other impressive plays: 2:34, 5:57, 7:06, 7:59

Highlights:
  • :13 - bull rushes RG straight back into Duggan, QB hit
  • :35 - forklifts Avila to the point that he has one leg off the ground, ball is out in 2 seconds but would've been a QB hit otherwise
  • 1:28 - beats Avila with a crude swim, has a runway within about 2 seconds but the ball is already out
  • 2:14 - knocks a RT 2-3 yards into the backfield on a reach block, directly into the RB's path
  • 4:00 - works through Avila's chest, knocks him back about a yard, sheds and finds the ball
  • 7:20 - kills the RG, bulls him 4-5 yards into the backfield and nearly puts him on the ground
Other impressive plays: :45, 5:55, 6:31

Highlights:
  • 1:37 - speaks for itself, he murders the LG and closes in a flash, the hit on the QB is visually jarring
  • 2:33 - beats the LG for immediate pressure, nobody else wins though so he has a clean pocket otherwise and can navigate around
  • 4:44 - impressive lateral agility on a loop/twist, again, rare for his size
  • 5:16 - beats the LG cleanly again, has a runway in under 2 seconds but the ball is out quick, likely QB hit
  • 5:35 - chases down a WR screen, rare change of direction and foot speed for his size
  • 7:58 - very impressive crash on a twist/stunt, opens up a huge lane for his teammate to loop around untouched
Other impressive plays: 3:00, 4:20, 4:58

Now, it's not all gumdrops and fairy tales, there are several plays where he gets rooted out of his gap vs. a double team or something along those lines, he has to improve his pad level a bit, but those are relatively easy technical fixes.

The bottom line is he's going to be really good against the run right off the bat while there is so much untapped potential as a pass rusher with his tools. If we can keep Quinn and the DL coach around for another 2-3 years I think this guy will eventually be a Pro Bowler.

Keep in mind, many of these reps came against Avila and Wypler, both of whom will be drafted tonight and are likely starters as rookies.

Top Bottom