1st Round Pick: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Post your stuff to get excited about here.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Prisco:

26. Cowboys: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan
Grade: A

Smith is another one of my favorite players. He's a power player who can hold up against the run, but I think he will be a better pass rusher than people expect. He just needs to keep his weight in check.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'll have some hot shit for you all tomorrow, but the long and short of it is he's going to tie everything together on defense and help keep Parsons fresh as the years go on. Worst case-scenario he's a 2-down run stuffer who can provide a little bit of bull rush to prevent QB's from stepping up, but I've seen flashes of athleticism and upfield burst that make me think he could potentially give you about 4-5 sacks a year, on top of excellent run defense of course.

This is the kind of pick we've all wanted for years and we can thank McCarthy for it, Jerry basically admitted that McCarthy is the one who got them to see the value in this sort of player.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'll have some hot shit for you all tomorrow, but the long and short of it is he's going to tie everything together on defense and help keep Parsons fresh as the years go on. Worst case-scenario he's a 2-down run stuffer who can provide a little bit of bull rush to prevent QB's from stepping up, but I've seen flashes of athleticism and upfield burst that make me think he could potentially give you about 4-5 sacks a year, on top of excellent run defense of course.
This is what I think all the haters are missing. I guess they think he's just your typical late round stump in the middle who gets in the way. They aren't seeing that he has real athletic ability on top of that to get up the field and be disruptive.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
#winning

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys draft ‘disruptive force’ Mazi Smith to add another key piece to defense
Sep 24, 2022; Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA; Maryland Terrapins running back Roman Hemby (24) is tackled by Michigan Wolverines defensive lineman Mazi Smith (58) in the first half at Michigan Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

By Jon Machota
7h ago

Following the end of the first round of last year’s NFL Draft, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones quickly showed reporters the top of the team’s draft board. It was his way of proving that Tulsa offensive tackle Tyler Smith was ranked higher than two other offensive linemen. Jones did not have the draft board with him following the end of the first round this year.

However, he did reveal that Michigan defensive tackle Mazi Smith was “13th or 14th” on the team’s board. When pressed on that final ranking, Jones responded: “Who gives a s—? We got him.”

The Cowboys continued to bolster one of the league’s best defenses Thursday night when they selected Smith with the 26th overall pick. He’s the first defensive tackle Dallas has selected in the first round since taking Russell Maryland with the first overall pick in 1991.
Smith (6-foot-3, 323 pounds) was a first-team All-Big Ten selection last year as a redshirt junior, totaling 48 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and a half sack. He doesn’t provide the type of pass rush that the Cowboys previously coveted to consider a defensive tackle as a first-round pick.

“Philosophically with this defense,” Jones explained, “with the way we have it structured, a key player with that much base, that much strength, that much disruption … as opposed to the number of sacks he gets, that kind of thinking, you wouldn’t have seen that from us 10 years ago, nine years ago. This isn’t something we thought on the draft board tonight. This has been in the making for, frankly, a couple of years.”

The Cowboys are hopeful that in defensive coordinator Dan Quinn’s system, Smith can immediately help stop the run and eventually add some pass rush. Dallas ranked 22nd against the run last season, allowing 129.3 yards per game. Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy noted that the defense specifically needed to get better at stopping the run on early downs.

On a conference call with reporters at The Star after the pick, Smith said his first job is to be an elite run defender.

“My second job is to show everybody that I can work an edge and I can affect the quarterback,” he added. “That’s something I need to work on. … (With) the pass-rush numbers, you kind of just have to turn on the tape. The tape tells a different story. You just have to know ball. There are times where I’m in position to pass rush, in position working pass-rush moves and affecting the pocket, but there are times where I am focused on the run because I know that’s what we had to do. That’s what we had to stop if we were going to win the game. In the Big Ten, they’re going to run the ball. We knew that. I knew that every game. That was my main focus.”

The future of Dallas’ defensive tackle position is now built around Osa Odighizuwa and Smith. Those two have the most upside. The Cowboys also have depth with Johnathan Hankins, Neville Gallimore and Quinton Bohanna.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic’s draft expert, had Smith graded as the fourth-best defensive tackle in this class and the 39th overall player.
“I’ve got real power in my hands,” said Smith, who was one of Dallas’ 30 official pre-draft visitors. “I’ve been strong my whole life. My mom said I came out the womb like I was doing pushups in there. I figured out how to use (my strength) on the field, figured out the right techniques, figured out the right stance to get into and just started striking blocks and making sure they went backwards.”

Jones said they used the entire 10 minutes allotted for each pick because they were considering a potential trade back that they had lined up. But eventually, they decided Smith was too good to pass up. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said they had 11 first-round grades on their board. Some of the other notable players still available at No. 26 were Georgia defensive end Nolan Smith, Penn State cornerback Joey Porter Jr., Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer, Clemson defensive end Myles Murphy, Arkansas linebacker Drew Sanders and Florida guard O’Cyrus Torrence.

“When Mike (McCarthy) came in here, he talked about building a bigger, stronger, faster football team,” Cowboys executive vice president Will McClay said. “We have continued to do that. And when you look at Mazi, teams run the football now and as you see things change. You look at our division, he’s a guy that can stop that, a guy that can add that value to our defense. As well as, I think there is an ability for him to rush the passer.

“You watch the Michigan tape, he is playing in a flat stance, doesn’t get after the passer. Well, you change things up, you put him with Dan (Quinn) and (defensive line coach Aden Durde) within our defense, not only can he stop the run, but we feel like there is upside in rushing the passer as well, and being a disruptive force.”

Throughout the first round, Cowboys All-Pro edge rusher Micah Parsons participated in a live draft show with Bleacher Report. Parsons jumped out of his seat in celebration when Smith was announced as the Cowboys’ pick.

“Let’s go, man,” Parsons shouted. “I told you Dan (Quinn) wouldn’t let me down.”

Parsons then showed a co-host a text exchange he had with Quinn earlier in the day. Parsons wrote: “Michigan DT.” Quinn responded: “I’m all about that life!!!!!!”

“We about that life,” Parsons shouted after the text was read. “No more QB sneaks!”

Parsons was later asked to give a message to Smith.

“Mazi, man, listen, welcome to the team,” Parsons said. “You’re someone I wanted to be part of this organization. I love the way you play. I just hope you’re ready to be part of the best D-line in the NFL. I’m going to help you get sacks, you’re going to help me get sacks. Let’s get this Super Bowl. And get paid. I’m super happy.”

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Cosell video (it should start at the Mazi part):

For those who can't watch (it will get you pumped)...

Loves him, says he's a freak (and he doesn't say that often)
Rare combination of size, power, and quick feet that not even Carter has
He's an athlete, not just a big guy
Likes that he averaged 49 snaps per game vs Big Ten opponents, so he's used to playing a lot of plays
Isn't sure why he's not graded a top 15 or at least 20 player
Compares to Poe coming out

And FWIW, he talks about Ika next and did not like his tape.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

This is the kind of pick we've all wanted for years and we can thank McCarthy for it, Jerry basically admitted that McCarthy is the one who got them to see the value in this sort of player.
Def MM gets a ton of credit here.

Smith had 16 QB hits last year

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From Chad Reuter at NFL.com:

Dallas Cowboys
Draft pick
Michigan DT Mazi Smith (No. 26 overall)

Analysis: The Cowboys needed to strengthen their defensive tackle group, so the pick makes sense. Smith is well-known for his athleticism at 323 pounds, flashing the ability to win off the snap. His production in college is concerning (just six tackles for loss in three seasons), but the team must believe he will be able to do more once unleashed in Dan Quinn’s scheme.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Cosell video (it should start at the Mazi part):

For those who can't watch (it will get you pumped)...

Loves him, says he's a freak (and he doesn't say that often)
Rare combination of size, power, and quick feet that not even Carter has
He's an athlete, not just a big guy
Likes that he averaged 49 snaps per game vs Big Ten opponents, so he's used to playing a lot of plays
Isn't sure why he's not graded a top 15 or at least 20 player
Compares to Poe coming out

And FWIW, he talks about Ika next and did not like his tape.

Nice. This is such a good pick. I know a lot of us wanted him and assumed with our history that there was no way we would get him. Also, Ika was my backup candidate so glad that we missed on that.

Top Bottom