1st Round Pick: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cant wait to see Mazi and Osa together.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
So I can't help but keeping coming up with the Mickey question. He's this athletic freak, essentially has position flex depending how we want him to play, strong as an ox and can play a heavy load of snaps. So why is he available? Why wasn't he looked at in the same breathe as a Jalen Carter and considered top 10-15? Why was he looked at as mostly a 2nd round prospect until last night? Not being sarcastic, genuinely asking. Is it just the production? Cause it seems like that was okay compared to how Michigan utilized him much of the time.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So I can't help but keeping coming up with the Mickey question. He's this athletic freak, essentially has position flex depending how we want him to play, strong as an ox and can play a heavy load of snaps. So why is he available? Why wasn't he looked at in the same breathe as a Jalen Carter and considered top 10-15? Why was he looked at as mostly a 2nd round prospect until last night? Not being sarcastic, genuinely asking. Is it just the production? Cause it seems like that was okay compared to how Michigan utilized him much of the time.
Carter gets the Georgia/Alabama jump in ratings. Gun charge may have dropped him a little?

p1_

DCC 4Life
The draft is a different animal from FA. Just because he wasn’t deemed the #1 DT prospect, doesn’t make him Mickey cliché’ eligible. No sir.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
Carter gets the Georgia/Alabama jump in ratings. Gun charge may have dropped him a little?
I get that about Carter, but Michigan isn't some slouch program.

Now a gun charge makes sense. It would concern me, but is that the reason? Cause everything I've read/heard was just that he was projected in the 2nd. Not a 1st round talent that would slip because of off the field stuff.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Cosell answered this exact question... he said based on his film study, he should be a top 15, or at least 20, guy. He wasn't sure why he wasn't, unless there was something about his character because he hadn't interviewed the kid.

It's just that the NT position isn't as valued as others. Everyone wants a position that affects the QB and he won't do that much, although he's much more athletic than most NTs so he may be able to somewhat going forward. And there are some questions about the effort play to play, but he played a lot of snaps in college, too. Every player outside the top of the draft has some questions/imperfections.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
The draft is a different animal from FA. Just because he wasn’t deemed the #1 DT prospect, doesn’t make him Mickey cliché’ eligible. No sir.
It absolutely applies. Same with the Eagles draft. Should they have gotten Carter? No, but he was there cause of his off the field stuff. Should they have gotten Nolan Smith so late? No, but obviously there is something there that we didn't recognize, whether it be injury, frame, potential, whatever.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a scheme/use thing, prevents you from seeing as many plays on the field as you would like.

Remember when Payne fell? It's a NT thing.

Top Bottom