Week 3 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys at Seahawks | 9-23-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Time to get aggressive, by the way. People are gonna say no to this without thinking, but trading Ezekiel Elliott should be on the table for this team if it brings back a haul that includes a QB, or a path to getting a QB.

This is 2018.

Idiots aside, everyone knows you have to be able to pass the ball to win in this league. Dak can't do it. He's never been able to do it. Even in 2016, what did Geng and I say? "He's playing nice, it's great for a rookie, but he has to show he can sling it around more like Romo did." Why? Because the clock strikes midnight when you are relying on a running game and throwing for only 200 yards per game. Teams figure out you are incapable of winging it around, and what you CAN do, they take away. That is what has happened here.

Need a passing QB when we go shopping this time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Naw, f' that. Garrett needs to go IMMEDIATELY. The best case scenario is for this team to win 3 or 4 games and for him to be shown the door. The Cowboys then would likely be in position to draft one of the top two QBs in the draft. In your scenario you're fading too far into Schmitty territory where it seems like you're suggesting that conditions need to be absolutely perfect for the Cowboys to draft a franchise QB. But that's not the case.

Of course you're not going to find an Peyton Manning/can't miss at the top of every draft, but there are a lot of Jared Goff types that come out practically every year, and that's really all the Cowboys need. A QB who can regularly complete passes 10 yards beyond the LOS and who can put up at least 230 yards passing in his sleep.

That's a better plan than continuing to kick the can down the road hoping to position ourselves for the next Manning. Those types only come around every 5 years or so.
I liked Goff alot 2 years ago, I don't think there will be a Goff-type QB in this draft.

Unless something dramatic happens over these next 2-3 months I can't see Drew Lock or Justin Herbert being that caliber of prospect.

shane

DCC 4Life
QB is one of the last positions people should be concerned about.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Forget Iamtdg.

Will Cowboysrock finally admit that Goff and Wentz are on a different planet than Dak?

He's still clinging to that gem.
Simp too. I mentioned that Wentz had more upside than Dak and he laughed me outta the thread.

shane

DCC 4Life
Simp too. I mentioned that Wentz had more upside than Dak and he laughed me outta the thread.
Arm wise Dak can't hang. A competent coaching staff could maximize his physical capabilities and work on his fundamentals but Linehan/Garrett will make sure that never happens. They won't even run a read option for fucks sake.

Y'all are being way too hard on Dak.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Time to get aggressive, by the way. People are gonna say no to this without thinking, but trading Ezekiel Elliott should be on the table for this team if it brings back a haul that includes a QB, or a path to getting a QB.

This is 2018.

Idiots aside, everyone knows you have to be able to pass the ball to win in this league. Dak can't do it. He's never been able to do it. Even in 2016, what did Geng and I say? "He's playing nice, it's great for a rookie, but he has to show he can sling it around more like Romo did." Why? Because the clock strikes midnight when you are relying on a running game and throwing for only 200 yards per game. Teams figure out you are incapable of winging it around, and what you CAN do, they take away. That is what has happened here.

I would be up for that but are RB's really valuable trade bait these days?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I actually like both of those guys. I watched some of their games yesterday. They threw with more confidence and anticipation than I've seen from Dak since 2016. And their mechanics appear to be solid.

I'm not sure why Simp would thumb his nose at those two. I can easily see those guys at least being Kirk Cousin type QBs, which really isn't a bad thing.
I'm just not a big fan of either at this particular moment, they could set the world on fire over the next 2-3 months but right now I look at them more like a Trubisky or Bortles than a Goff.

Lock has a massive arm but he has accuracy, pocket presence and overall consistency issues, he definitely throws a pretty ball though and can take the top off any defense. Many of Herbert's throws on the other hand are manufactured, almost every college offense is based on some sort of spread/read option principles, but the throws he's making there are much less pro style than, say, Goff at California.

The offense they're running is much more like what Griffin ran at Baylor and I also worry that he has very little experience with what amounts to amount 1.5 seasons of starts under his belt at this point. He looked really good last night though so we'll see.

Like I said, they could kill it over the next few months but I think it's much more likely that we're looking at a couple of Trubisky type prospects whereas I think Tagovailoa and Haskins could be much higher level prospects.

Will Grier might be another guy to watch although I haven't watched him especially closely.

GShock

DCC 4Life

This is 2018.

Yep. Throw Jourdan Lewis in there, too, though with the inevitable coaching turnover, the next staff might not be allergic to putting him on the field.

Keep an eye on Haskins for the draft.

But FFS sake, a staff that tailors the game plan to the talent. With an ounce of creativity.

Please.

shane

DCC 4Life
I thought Lewis was hurt. Is he in the dog house for some unknown and retarded reason?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Uh, I called it since day one for the following reasons.

1. Sub par coaching staff with predictable, unimaginative schemes.
2. A group of young QBs who lack confidence and accuracy.
3. Bargain basement talent at WR and TE.
4. An inexperienced, unqualified QB coach (basically a case of the blind leading the blind)

The writing was on the wall. How could anyone not see this coming?
Exactly.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Uh, I called it since day one for the following reasons.

1. Sub par coaching staff with predictable, unimaginative schemes.
2. A group of young QBs who lack confidence and accuracy.
3. Bargain basement talent at WR and TE.
4. An inexperienced, unqualified QB coach (basically a case of the blind leading the blind)

The writing was on the wall. How could anyone not see this coming?
Nailonthehead.gif

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I had a little faith in Dak when he played well as a rookie but this year has pretty well ruined it.

I still think he could be Russell Wilson light with proper coaching. Not going to happen in Dallas.

I was traveling today and recorded the game. I made it to almost half time before being unable to watch anymore. Completely inept play calling and the refs were awful.

GShock

DCC 4Life
As an aside, I could be persuaded that Smith should be at RT, Collins should be at LG, and Williams should be at LT.

But that’s neither here nor there.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Outside of a couple of players I would just blow the whole thing up and start from scratch even though I know that's not happening.

I just find it hard to grasp the level of mediocrity this team has displayed since the last Super Bowl win and I believe by the time this team wins another one I'll be too old to GAS.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Dallas didn't even look as good as this 0-2 Lions team. Landry and Schramm are probably spinning in their graves right now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Arm wise Dak can't hang. A competent coaching staff could maximize his physical capabilities and work on his fundamentals but Linehan/Garrett will make sure that never happens. They won't even run a read option for fucks sake.

Y'all are being way too hard on Dak.
Dak makes plenty, PLENTY of his own mistakes.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yep. Throw Jourdan Lewis in there, too, though with the inevitable coaching turnover, the next staff might not be allergic to putting him on the field.

Keep an eye on Haskins for the draft.

But FFS sake, a staff that tailors the game plan to the talent. With an ounce of creativity.

Please.
Yeah, I mean, if this season craters, Garrett probably won't be around.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Dak makes plenty, PLENTY of his own mistakes.
Sorry, but the die is cast. Dak is the victim of a leaky o-line and unreliable receivers. That's their story and they're sticking with it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I know we all joke about this a lot, but Garrett really has zero feel for game flow/momentum
Right, and that's my point.

It isn't a case of everyone finding something else to blame him for because we all hate him. He legitimately boggles the mind because you watch him struggle with the basic football stuff that occurs on a weekly basis.

Like how can this keep happening?

For example, my dad and I knew they were going to lose the Earl Thomas challenge. How many times do you have to prematurely jump the gun before you learn to stop making uncertain challenges?

Honest question -- since the became the HC in 2010, is there another coach with a worst challenge record than his? He's so awful at them and yet the guy doesn't learn to be patient.

This is just one of many many things that go in a football game that he simply doesn't approach any differently no matter how many times he sees it or experiences it.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it and I'm not exaggerating. I honestly cannot recall another coach in all of my years of watching football who struggled so much with the most basic aspects of the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom