Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 1 | Giants at Cowboys | 09/08/19

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Yeah I remember. I am really surprised as the D seemed like they were playing fairly good in preseason and for the vast majority of last yr it was solid. They were not good yesterday and were awful vs the run vs Rams. Hopefully it is not a trend.

I don't think we can beat good offensive teams with the type of defense we played yesterday.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
LVE has 10 tackles, nearly had a pick and was involved in the two biggest pass rush plays of the game (the intentional grounding that stopped their early drive and forced a punt and then shared the sack/fumble with DLaw on the other 4th and 1 play deep in our territory, so he wasn't exactly non existent.
Compared to last year, and outside of a couple of plays, I just didn't hear his name as much as we are used to.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Compared to last year, and outside of a couple of plays, I just didn't hear his name as much as we are used to.
I'm sure he had his share of quiet games last year, even once he took over the starting role. You are expecting greatness and impact every game now from him, is the difference.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
I thought he had a pretty good game. Honestly other than him& D Law , J Lewis has a couple nice plays and so did Awuzie, but other than these 4 guys it seemed mostly mediocre to bad defensively to me. X Woods had that forced fumble to start the game on Barley I think but otherwise I don't remember him doing anything.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The defense was kind of up and down to start the year last season too. They gave up a bunch of yards to the Panthers in the opener and kind of struggled against the run. Lawrence, Jones and Crawford were all being eased in yesterday and played less than 50% of the snaps, Kerry Hyder led the DE's in snaps played, and Quinn was obviously out. They'll sharpen up as the season goes on and especially once guys like Lawrence and Quinn get ramped all the way up.

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This might be somewhat controversial but I think Cooper is a better overall WR than Dez in his prime. Dez was way more dominant athletically but his game was very basic and lacked refinement. He was unstoppable on jump balls/fades/slants, and Romo knew how to maximize that ability, but once that peak athleticism was gone so was his ability to dominate. He had a higher ceiling than a guy like Cooper but he never developed the rest of his game and so his peak was short lived. He was a better red zone threat than Amari but other than that I'm going Amari.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
This might be somewhat controversial but I think Cooper is a better overall WR than Dez in his prime. Dez was way more dominant athletically but his game was very basic and lacked refinement. He was unstoppable on jump balls/fades/slants, and Romo knew how to maximize that ability, but once that peak athleticism was gone so was his ability to dominate. He had a higher ceiling than a guy like Cooper but he never developed the rest of his game and so his peak was short lived. He was a better red zone threat than Amari but other than that I'm going Amari.
Cooper is 100 times the route runner Dez was. That alone propels him higher, IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was awesome and decisive. I think having Frederick back also helped Dak a ton. Being comfortable and in a rhythm is so important for a QB. The play calling got him in a great rhythm and the protection allowed him to be comfortable. Dak made excellent and quick decisions yesterday. It wasn't like last year when he just seemed to hold the ball forever looking for a guy to get open. I think a lot of that is just that guys got open against the Giants based on scheme. We weren't relying on getting the right coverage and hoping guys could just straight up beat their man.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think that's controversial at all.

Cooper was the fricking fourth overall pick.

Granted, Dez was drafted at 24th or whatever and it was way lower than he should have been drafted because of off the field stuff, but even if he was squeaky clean, he's merely a similar top-10 talent. I think you could easily argue that Cooper was the better prospect coming out, which is why he went fourth overall and why Dez was more of a 5-10 type.

As for what they became, Dez was great and part of me says if he wants to come back on a minimal deal, let's load it up and let him come be our 4th WR, but his entire career he distracted not so much the team, but I think himself. He was constantly having minor screw ups. The finger touching the out-of-bounds on the Hail Mary that would have beaten the Giants. The "no catch" incident in the playoffs against Green Bay: yes, we now know that it was a catch, but Dez, is it so hard to just secure the ball and fall down? It seems like the guy was always making the easy look slightly more difficult than it had to be. Yes, he was capable of amazing physical feats, but it was also "always something" - a drop, a bad route, a fumble, a double-clutch on what should have been a clean catch, etc.

Dez will go down as one of the Cowboys greats, but he also was a bone head who simply did not reach his talent peak because he wasn't smart enough or focused enough.

Cooper has all the same talent, maybe more. He could easily eclipse Dez.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not really sure why that would be controversial. Dez was good at what he did, Amari is good at what he does. As an overall WR, Amari is more well rounded.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Is it just me, or did Heath take one of his signature bad angles on the early Barkley run for a big gain?

Top Bottom