Moore: Sink or swim - If Jerry and his talented crew don’t make it deep into postseason, there will be consequences

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dallas compounds that by renegotiating deals on an almost yearly basis for their stars. Convert a large annual salary into signing bonus. That pushes future year bonuses into cap hits (but not actual money paid). Those little cap bills add up. Either in cap that is allocated to an initial signing bonus or as an acceleration if the player is cut. In either case, it isn't money being paid out.
It is money being paid out though. It just moves the money from the current cap year to future cap years. The money is still spent. And if you don't spend the cap savings they just carry over to the next year. So doing what you're talking about isn't some trick to not spend money.

junk

Not So New Member
It is money being paid out though. It just moves the money from the current cap year to future cap years. The money is still spent. And if you don't spend the cap savings they just carry over to the next year. So doing what you're talking about isn't some trick to not spend money.
It is paid out in year one. You have to think in salary cap in terms of multiple year impacts though.

The actual money, in the case of a signing bonus, is paid in year one to a player. However, the salary cap implications of that bonus have impacts over multiple years.

Signing bonus, for cap purposes, is spread out evenly against the life of the contract. That bonus money cap hit effectively reduces the amount you can spend in future years of that contract. Then, if a player is cut, that bonus accelerates against the cap immediately. You get enough those things adding up, you're essentially lowering the amount you can spend, via your salary cap limitations, on a year by year basis. That ESPN article I posted does a great job of showing how it happens.

After Prescott's breakout season in 2016, the Cowboys have devoted more than $54 million of their cap space to dead money. Only the Bills, Browns and 49ers -- all teams that have undergone regime changes in the middle of rebuilding their rosters -- have paid more. The median team has paid just over $23 million over that same time frame. Instead of surrounding its young quarterback with game-breakers, Dallas has been stuck giving $27 million per season to ghosts.
Dallas further compounds it by renegotiating almost immediately and even yearly in some instances (see Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, etc.) to continue to push those bonus hits into future years.

Bottom line - Dallas has been in the bottom of the third of the league in cash spend since 2013 (I found 2017 too - they were last in cash spend). They have been cap constrained for the last several years. They do contracts and renegotiations unlike anyone else in the league. You could certainly argue a whole bunch of things: Romo's contract, bad contracts in general, poor personnel evaluation (resulting in bad contracts), unexpected injuries, the steps were necessary to maintain competitive with a tight salary cap......or maybe they've just realized they can use salary cap accounting to manage their annual operating expenses?

Whatever the case - I don't agree with the narrative that Jerry would spend whatever it takes to win. They just haven't spent as much as most teams since 2013. They're basically forced to spend this year since they are one of only 4 teams under the 89% spend threshold in the rolling four year window (2017-2020). Maybe they're out from under the Romo contract and things change now though.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It is paid out in year one. You have to think in salary cap in terms of multiple year impacts though.

The actual money, in the case of a signing bonus, is paid in year one to a player. However, the salary cap implications of that bonus have impacts over multiple years.

Signing bonus, for cap purposes, is spread out evenly against the life of the contract. That bonus money cap hit effectively reduces the amount you can spend in future years of that contract. Then, if a player is cut, that bonus accelerates against the cap immediately. You get enough those things adding up, you're essentially lowering the amount you can spend, via your salary cap limitations, on a year by year basis. That ESPN article I posted does a great job of showing how it happens.

Dallas further compounds it by renegotiating almost immediately and even yearly in some instances (see Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, etc.) to continue to push those bonus hits into future years.

Bottom line - Dallas has been in the bottom of the third of the league in cash spend since 2013 (I found 2017 too - they were last in cash spend). They have been cap constrained for the last several years. They do contracts and renegotiations unlike anyone else in the league. You could certainly argue a whole bunch of things: Romo's contract, bad contracts in general, poor personnel evaluation (resulting in bad contracts), unexpected injuries, the steps were necessary to maintain competitive with a tight salary cap......or maybe they've just realized they can use salary cap accounting to manage their annual operating expenses?

Whatever the case - I don't agree with the narrative that Jerry would spend whatever it takes to win. They just haven't spent as much as most teams since 2013. They're basically forced to spend this year since they are one of only 4 teams under the 89% spend threshold in the rolling four year window (2017-2020). Maybe they're out from under the Romo contract and things change now though.
Money amounts spent doesn’t necessarily equate to better teams or better players. It how you spend the money and who you spend it on. I haven’t actually tracked where teams have won the SB an did it equate to the most money spent. I dare say there would be some surprises there to see who spent the most in a season and where they wound up.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'd feel a lot better about this team if Gregory and Irving we're still active. My last memory is of our undersized D line getting blown off the ball in LA. What's changed? Not much, and it doesn't look like we're gonna get a lot from doughy Trysten Hill. Worse, our safeties are very pedestrian and have been for years. And our entire secondary is positively allergic to interceptions. For all these reasons, no Super Bowl for us. :cry

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The money is still spent though. You understand that right? Now it may have been money spent prior to 2013 but who cares, it's still spent. Plus we have been in sort of a bubble where a bunch of money is getting dished out now to Zeke, Dak and Cooper.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
I'd feel a lot better about this team if Gregory and Irving we're still active. My last memory is of our undersized D line getting blown off the ball in LA. What's changed? Not much, and it doesn't look like we're gonna get a lot from doughy Trysten Hill. Worse, our safeties are very pedestrian and have been for years. And our entire secondary is positively allergic to interceptions. For all these reasons, no Super Bowl for us. :cry
The week before that same defense stoned the leagues best running attack, and they did it earlier in the season too.

The Rams admitted they exploited a "key" they found in our DL tendencies from watching every game during the season. The Cowboys compounded the problem by essentially staying in the nickel defense the entire game too. Then there was the fact that several of our DL had surgeries right after the season.

That one game was epic bad defensively v the run but you shouldn't ignore how good the run defense was in essentially all the other games (save maybe 1 or 2).

That said, until the team proves they can advance deep into the playoffs, they are what they have been since 1996.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The week before that same defense stoned the leagues best running attack, and they did it earlier in the season too.

The Rams admitted they exploited a "key" they found in our DL tendencies from watching every game during the season. The Cowboys compounded the problem by essentially staying in the nickel defense the entire game too. Then there was the fact that several of our DL had surgeries right after the season.

That one game was epic bad defensively v the run but you shouldn't ignore how good the run defense was in essentially all the other games (save maybe 1 or 2).

That said, until the team proves they can advance deep into the playoffs, they are what they have been since 1996.
I am in agreement with you about the Rams game. They refused to adjust to the Rams attack and just got killed. I put that one on Maranelli.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I am in agreement with you about the Rams game. They refused to adjust to the Rams attack and just got killed. I put that one on Maranelli.
What about Garrett? Is he just a potted plant on the sideline? Does he not notice the huge holes and a journeyman RB slashing through for huge gains? And say something to Marinelli? And isn't it the head coach's responsibility to make sure the team's tendencies -- and offense and defense -- aren't made obvious on film to opposing teams?

It all goes back to Garrett's total lack of adaptability or changing things on the fly. Chaz Green in the Atlanta game, the D-line in the Rams game, plus the utter predictability of the offensive scheme.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What about Garrett? Is he just a potted plant on the sideline? Does he not notice the huge holes and a journeyman RB slashing through for huge gains? And say something to Marinelli? And isn't it the head coach's responsibility to make sure the team's tendencies -- and offense and defense -- aren't made obvious on film to opposing teams?

It all goes back to Garrett's total lack of adaptability or changing things on the fly. Chaz Green in the Atlanta game, the D-line in the Rams game, plus the utter predictability of the offensive scheme.
Garrett’s ultimately responsible for the entire operations of the team but for the defensive schemes and alignment etc., Marinelli designed and deployed the defensive units. He just dropped the ball for that game.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Garrett’s ultimately responsible for the entire operations of the team but for the defensive schemes and alignment etc., Marinelli designed and deployed the defensive units. He just dropped the ball for that game.
Epically bad time to call a shitty game and stubbornly stick to it.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
The day after Belichik's O-line got shredded in the AFC Championship game in 2015, against Denver, the O-line coach was fired. THE DAY AFTER!

If a Navy ship runs aground or is involved in a collision, it doesn't matter who was on the bridge at the time. The CAPTAIN of the ship gets hung out to dry -- no matter what. His career is over. When your DC fucks up, it should be YOUR ASS as the head coach.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Oh ... Marinelli "just dropped the ball for that game." Which just happened to be a divisional round playoff game leaving them one short of the NFC Championship game -- WHICH THEY HAVEN'T BEEN TO SINCE 1996!!

But that's okay. He just "dropped the ball." It's why this team has sucked so much for so long.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh ... Marinelli "just dropped the ball for that game." Which just happened to be a divisional round playoff game leaving them one short of the NFC Championship game -- WHICH THEY HAVEN'T BEEN TO SINCE 1996!!

But that's okay. He just "dropped the ball." It's why this team has sucked so much for so long.
Perhaps you would like to describe it in another manner?

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

Garrett isn't capable of doing anything. He does absolutely nothing good or bad, he is just wasted space.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
The day after Belichik's O-line got shredded in the AFC Championship game in 2015, against Denver, the O-line coach was fired. THE DAY AFTER!

I don't know who finally decided to do it, but firing Alexander midseason and replacing him with Columbo had a huge impact.

Top Bottom