Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 1 | Giants at Cowboys | 09/08/19

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know what the offense and play calling reminded me of in week 1? The KC Chiefs. Dak made some stellar throws but he also had some guys wide open because of the play calling. It was agressive but still used the running game to compliment the pass. We attacked every inch of the field and we were very unpredictable. We will see if the Cowboys can keep doing it but it was a very Chiefs like performance.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He had a few balls that were slightly off target but hell EVERY QB has those in EVERY game. Not sure why some are trying to hold Dak to some impossible standard.
Fair enough. There’s no way to really objectively measure that, at least. It strikes me that Dak does it more often than others, but the counter to that would be the same thing I say to Garrett critics: prove it. You can’t, there are no numbers, and I have Cowboy bias in that Dak is the one I’m watching do it again and again.

That being said I’m not trying to downplay his performance, he was great. More of that on a full season basis (not that every performance has to be 400 yards and 4 TDS) would make him worthy of a $30m extension. I’m just saying, the guy isn’t a pinpoint accuracy guy; never has been, likely never will be. His strengths are elsewhere, and that’s fine. He will always have what I view as more than his share of moments where he needs his receivers to adjust to passes. But he put them in play downfield today, where they could get them, and that is more than we’d previously been able to say.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The defense was very inconsistent but I wouldn't worry yet, as far as the pass rush goes they were limiting Lawrence's snaps and Quinn is a big piece as really the only legitimate edge rusher opposite Lawrence. It'd be real nice to get Gregory back to give us a 3rd guy but who knows what his deal is. If they're still playing like this come October I'll be concerned but I suspect the tackling and run defense will sharpen up as the season goes on.
I'm with you. Move Crawford to 3 tech though! Use Taco and Armstrong at RE for a game and then get Quinn back and you have something. Crawford actually makes plays inside. On the outside the dude gets torched over and over. Move him inside and you improve both the pass rush on the outside and the inside.

Other than that I think the rest of the defense will get there. Its week 1. Not the best barometer for the rest of the season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Fair enough. There’s no way to really objectively measure that, at least. It strikes me that Dak does it more often than others, but the counter to that would be the same thing I say to Garrett critics: prove it. You can’t, there are no numbers, and I have Cowboy bias in that Dak is the one I’m watching do it again and again.

That being said I’m not trying to downplay his performance, he was great. More of that on a full season basis (not that every performance has to be 400 yards and 4 TDS) would make him worthy of a $30m extension. I’m just saying, the guy isn’t a pinpoint accuracy guy; never has been, likely never will be. His strengths are elsewhere, and that’s fine. He will always have what I view as more than his share of moments where he needs his receivers to adjust to passes. But he put them in play downfield today, where they could get them, and that is more than we’d previously been able to say.
I think we are pretty much on the same page about how to approach the evaluation of Dak for a new contract. Simple remedy for me. If this is to be an evaluation season, then give it sufficient time to be completely convinced that what we saw in the first game is a real representation of what he actually is.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
6) They should be really concerned about the defense. Other than a few plays there was no pass rush and the run defense was terrible. Hopefully getting Robert Quinn out there in two weeks will help, but he missed all of preseason too so it might take him several games to get it going. I thought the defense looked incredibly passive and they gave way too much space to the Giants receivers and didn't crowd the line enough vs the run, letting them easily create huge rush lanes. Marinelli is the DC in title and is the coach many target, but Kris Richard is running the defense and making all the defensive calls, and this is two games in a row (LA Rams in playoffs) that he has been horrendous. Marinelli might deserve to go, but Richard is leaving a lot to be desired.
Hmmm. I made a similar point just the other day, but you offered a litany of excuses in their defense. Welcome (belatedly) to the reality-based community.

http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/forum/dallas-cowboys-central/cowboys-stadium/671021-moore-sink-or-swim-if-jerry-and-his-talented-crew-don’t-make-it-deep-into-postseason-there-will-be-consequences?p=672328#post672328

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I had to work today. So I ended up recording the game.

I will tender my 2 weeks notice to my employer first thing tomorrow in order make sure I'm available for game day chats going forward.

Getting my priorities in order.
No need. I got this. :towel

Cotton

Staff member
They never cover running backs in the flat. That easy pass was there for Eli all day long.
LVE and Jaylon seemed almost non-existent all game. I'm not sure what was up with that.

Cotton

Staff member
This was a big key to our offensive success. You keep those LB'ers sucked down and the slants and quick ins that we ran will work 9 times out of 10.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm with you. Move Crawford to 3 tech though! Use Taco and Armstrong at RE for a game and then get Quinn back and you have something. Crawford actually makes plays inside. On the outside the dude gets torched over and over. Move him inside and you improve both the pass rush on the outside and the inside.

Other than that I think the rest of the defense will get there. Its week 1. Not the best barometer for the rest of the season.
I want to see more of Hyder.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
thread is falling behind again. clear the cache, dammit.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
thread is falling behind again. clear the cache, dammit.
Cleared. There is a mod that we can buy that clears the cache automatically, but it does cost. I can't remember how much.

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
LVE was really good, he had the 3rd and 1 pressure that led to intentional grounding, he made the play on the 4th and 1 Eli bootleg in the 3rd and he nearly had an INT about 15-20 yards downfield on a pass down the seam. He was almost certainly our best defensive player yesterday.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom