Osa Odighizuwa Signed

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Joined
Apr 8, 2013
Messages
24,370
We all know that we've spent the better part of 20 years bitching about how the team is incapable of finding top DT's and lusting over DT's in the draft every year like Jordan Davis, Jalen Carter, Calijah Kancey, Javon Kinlaw, Derrick Brown, Vita Vea, Justin Madubuike, so on and so forth.

But what if Odighizuwa is more or less exactly what we've been wanting out of a DT, at least from a pass-rushing perspective?

He's clearly not on the level of future HOF'ers like Donald and Jones, but what if he's actually comparable to Pro Bowlers like Carter, Jeffery Simmons, Madubuike, Kenny Clark and the like?

He was tied for 11th in the league this year in QB hits, and 3rd amongst "interior DL" behind only Zach Allen and Leonard Williams. He's averaged 3.5 sacks, 7 TFL and 14.5 QB hits over his first 4 years.

Jeffery Simmons averages about 5 sacks, 8 TFL and 11 QB hits per year, Madubuike averages 5.5 sacks, 8 TFL and 13 QB hits per year, Jalen Carter has averaged 5 sacks, 10 TFL and 13 TFL (although given his age he should ascend a bit more).

This is not me arguing that Odighizuwa is as good as all of those guys but I think it's much closer than the average fan would think. His sack numbers are a tick lower (he's never exploded like Madubuike last season with 10+ sacks) so I think we can bring him back cheaper than those guys, but I don't think his impact is miles away from them given the QB hit numbers especially.

Given that his pure sack numbers are a bit depressed, that he's never made a Pro Bowl, and that he's not a "household name" I think we could bring him back for something around $16-18M per year, and given that they extended Steele two years ago for a similar salary it should be an absolute no-brainer extension. We know how "tight" everything is with the "pie", but we also know they can easily open up damn near $90M in cap space if they so please.

All of that is to say, if they let Odighizuwa leave and he signs a deal along those $17-18M lines, what is even the point of any of this? The entire premise of "draft and develop" relies on keeping players like Odighizuwa who you've developed into very good, arguably borderline Pro Bowl players, especially at a position of obvious need.
 
Definitely. Not only has he become a very good player, but by all accounts he's a first-class worker and person. He's not the guy who is going to slack off once he gets paid, and he's going to be a positive influence on the younger players. This is the kind of guy you keep.

It is possible Cheap Son sees him as a way to a good comp pick which you then use to draft another Osa. Of course the next Osa could be the next Bossman or Giraffe Wright, and who even plays there in the meantime?
 
Definitely. Not only has he become a very good player, but by all accounts he's a first-class worker and person. He's not the guy who is going to slack off once he gets paid, and he's going to be a positive influence on the younger players. This is the kind of guy you keep.

It is possible Cheap Son sees him as a way to a good comp pick which you then use to draft another Osa. Of course the next Osa could be the next Bossman or Giraffe Wright, and who even plays there in the meantime?

Indeed.

My main hope is that Micah seems more than willing to leverage his contract situation to badger the morons in charge to at least keep internal FA's, if not go after an external FA or two.
 
Exactly the type of good player the inbreds say they can’t afford. Parsons will be the main excuse why we can’t keep him.
 


These people are wildly incompetent.

Like ok, you want to keep him at all costs, but if you're willing to franchise tag him you might as well just overpay him on a deal averaging 25 or even 26 a year so you aren't sitting there like a moron with a $25M cap hit in 2025.
 
An I missing something here? Is this guy really that good of a player?
 
These people are wildly incompetent.

Like ok, you want to keep him at all costs, but if you're willing to franchise tag him you might as well just overpay him on a deal averaging 25 or even 26 a year so you aren't sitting there like a moron with a $25M cap hit in 2025.

As soon as you franchise him, his annual average on a new deal is 25 mil or more.

Shit how much would Milton Williams cost for example? Who is a really good young DT in my book. Who is also a free agent.
 
An I missing something here? Is this guy really that good of a player?

I think he deserves to be paid as a fringe top 10-15ish DT, which by AAV would be about $21/year, and by AAV "as a % of the cap" would be around $24/year, so I think somewhere in the low 20's probably makes sense.

But as always these idiots have painted themselves into a corner, probably haggling over a 5th year or something, and now are setting the floor at about $25/year when I'm sure something around $23 could get it done.

And we can be damn sure they never bothered exploring what options exist in external FA with the idea of letting him walk and using that money elsewhere.
 
I think he deserves to be paid as a fringe top 10-15ish DT, which by AAV would be about $21/year, and by AAV "as a % of the cap" would be around $24/year, so I think somewhere in the low 20's probably makes sense.

But as always these idiots have painted themselves into a corner, probably haggling over a 5th year or something, and now are setting the floor at about $25/year when I'm sure something around $23 could get it done.

And we can be damn sure they never bothered exploring what options exist in external FA with the idea of letting him walk and using that money elsewhere.

That's the problem. Did they ever consider Milton Williams for example? Who may actually be a better pass rusher. (Granted he probably has not had to carry the load Osa has). I'm sure Milton will make bank too. But it's not an Osa or nothing proposition. You can actually look outside the organization for free agents.
 
I guess it's better than 23/year.

 
All in!!
 
I think that's a pretty big win once I started digging into the numbers around the league.

An AAV of $20/year is 14th in the league between Christian Barmore and Jonathan Allen, and the "AAV as a % of the cap" of 7.1% is 18th in the league between Ed Oliver and Dalvin Tomlinson.

I initially thought 20/year should be a hard cap for an extension but once I looked at the numbers I really thought it might get up to around $22 while being relatively reasonable.

Yeah I'm good with this one.

I still think we absolutely need to draft a DT. But it takes the pressure off from getting an immediate starter. And it also opens up the possibility to go more in the NT direction and this draft is loaded with those types.
 
Yeah I'm good with this one.

I still think we absolutely need to draft a DT. But it takes the pressure off from getting an immediate starter. And it also opens up the possibility to go more in the NT direction and this draft is loaded with those types.

Yea I would still take a DT at 12 without blinking, a rotation of Osa, Harmon, Mazi and some JAG run stuffer would be legit.
 
It’s a good signing that we needed to make. At a reasonable price. Nothing to cry about here.
 
Yea I would still take a DT at 12 without blinking, a rotation of Osa, Harmon, Mazi and some JAG run stuffer would be legit.

Yep and in my book both Harmon and Graham for example could play NT or 3 tech. They aren't just slugs in the middle.
 
Back
Top Bottom