NFL Nostalgia Thread…

Wanna know a little more of my anger roots…?

I lived in the country, so we didn’t get a daily paper, either. So no sports page. No box scores. And I had to go to bed before the nightly news sports segment. I found out if my football/baseball/basketball team won the next day at school.
That must have sucked. We only got the paper 3 times a week at 3 towns we lived in, but that sports section was gold because of only getting it that often. I can't imagine never getting one at all.
 
That must have sucked. We only got the paper 3 times a week at 3 towns we lived in, but that sports section was gold because of only getting it that often. I can't imagine never getting one at all.


My mom has a picture of me laying on the living room floor reading the box scores when I was 8 or 9.
 
When I got to Jr High, our school library had the daily newspaper so I could duck in there to read the sports page.

And when I got to 9th grade, I was allowed to stay up later so I could see the sports report on the 10 O'clock news.

I had reached Nirvana. :towel
 
And don't think it was an accident that they had Pat saying "thrust" right when she's standing up and sticking out her chest.
 
His "eating contest" story was hilarious.
Did you read his book? The story about everyone drinking milk of magnesia the night before weigh-ins and one particular result was fucking hilarious.

Oh, and there one where Don Shula's date was caught smoking a cigar was a good one too.

Fuck it... the whole book is good.

And anyone who's into vintage boxing (40's - 60's) will see his dad as third man in the ring in plenty of big fights.
 


September 30, 1984

The Most Bizarre Game In NFL History

Giants vs. Rams in Anaheim

1. Opening Kickoff

Rams returner A.J. Jones (for whatever reason) decides to not field the kick — a live ball! The Giants' Phil McConkey recovers the pigskin in the end zone for a touchdown and a 6-0 New York lead, nine seconds into the game. The extra point is missed.

2. Goalpost Mysteriously Falls Down

After a Rams field goal late in the first half, the goalpost in the north end zone of Anaheim Stadium suddenly falls over on its side. Wind is not a factor, it simply falls without explanation. Play resumes following an eight-minute delay.

3. Rams Become the First Team in NFL History to Record Three Safeties in a Game

During the third quarter, the Rams block two Giants punts in the end zone — each resulting in a safety — and sack Phil Simms in the end zone for another. It is the only time this has happened in an NFL game — the Rams perform the feat in a single quarter.

Rams rookie Henry Ellard also returns a punt 83 yards for a touchdown — the longest of his career.

Rams 33, Giants 12
 
Back
Top Bottom